• Which 1911 is best for around $1000?

• Total voters

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I really love both of my Dan Wessons, I bought both of them used at the 1000 dollar mark. My RO is a nice pistol as well but does not feel near as nice as my DW's

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I really love both of my Dan Wessons, I bought both of them used at the 1000 dollar mark. My RO is a nice pistol as well but does not feel near as nice as my DW's

My :twocents:.....I would second the post above.....While I have not owned a range officer, i have owned a few springfields, a few kimbers and a couple dan wessons. I can say without hesitation that the slide/frame and barrel fitting on the wessons was noticeably better than the springfields or kimbers. It is getting harder to find the wessons in the 1k range, but is still possible.

drrun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Columbus, Indiana
    You can never go wrong with a Kimber. I have the Pro Carry II and even though its a low end Kimber, the shooting experience is awesome. My dad and uncle have higher end Kimbers that are the smoothest .45 pistols I've ever shot. In all three guns I've never seen a FTF or any other issues.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I would go with either a Colt :D or STI ;). I carry a 2011 STI Perfect 10 :patriot: which is twice the money you want to spend and worth every bit of it. I have looked at and shot most of the 1911's. You will find that a Colt is easier to sell and comes closer to returning the money spent for it. I would take any one you listed and be as happy as I could be limited to just the one 1911. Any STI I have handled has a top grade fit and finish. Customer service is out standing.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    wwdkd -- Back in January as started my search for a commander sized 1911 with a $2,000 limit. After reading as much as I could and handling/playing with many, I settle on the S&W 1911Sc 'E Series'. Purchased at the Indiana Gun Club; MSRP was $1,369; they had it marked for $1,195 and I got it for $1,125 (out the door, with taxes, $1,203). Great looking gun, and shoots like a dream. I'm sure there are better guns out there, but att that price point, you can't go wrong with the S&W. -- Grizhicks

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Every gun mentioned (except a RIA) has merit and all have a large fan club. I suggest touching, rubbing and shooting as many as possible. Make your decisions based on your budget and needs. How the gun feels in your hand not mine. You may love the way a gun feels/runs and I may not for my own reasons.
    Stay away from the Wilsons and Baers or other ultra hi-end offerings util you get a real feel for what these pieces are about. You can do real well in your budget.

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    Every gun mentioned (except a RIA) has merit and all have a large fan club. I suggest touching, rubbing and shooting as many as possible. Make your decisions based on your budget and needs. How the gun feels in your hand not mine. You may love the way a gun feels/runs and I may not for my own reasons.
    Stay away from the Wilsons and Baers or other ultra hi-end offerings util you get a real feel for what these pieces are about. You can do real well in your budget.

well said

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'd check out a Sig. I have a full size Scorpion that is really well put together. Or, for that kind of money you could pick up a Colt Delta Elite.

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart

:+1:

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan

In the last 15 years I have owned a colt government enhanced, springfieldloaded and a kimber eclipse. The colt ran well but could not hold a group. Thiswas a chapter 7 or 2 ago and I think I got one that was just thrown together. Ihad a smith look it over and replace the bushing and my groups were cut inhalf. While that helped it wasn’t enough. Sold it out of discussed. few yearspast and the springfield came home with me. It was a great gun the only issue Iever had was the front sight (staked) started getting loose. Easy fix. Sold itto a guy that liked it more than what I had in it. 7years ago I bought thekimber and have never had a problem with this 1911.

Top Bottom