• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wmitchell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Franklin, In
    Here's the question. Which 1911 is the most bang for the buck? I plan on getting one in the near future but don't have $1000 to drop. Kind of thinkin about a Rock Island Arms. Thanks.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I was asking myself the same question last year and got a Springfield GI Model. Having said that, I am starting to get a real urge to get a genuine Colt instead...

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    I've had quite a bit of experience with the Taurus PT1911. The bluing is about the only thing you can complain about. Never had any issues with it firing or feeding any ammo, even cheap gun show reloads that smoke like black powder.

Nicely accurate and a excellent trigger pull.

All for $500.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin

wait till the secretary gets a divorce and wants to sell hubbys gold gup 10mm for 500.00. best deal on a 1911 that i know. oh wait. i already did that:rockwoot:

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Congratulations Weedhopper on a wise choice in handgun selection.

But seriously....What are you going to use it for....target?......Concealed carry?...... Etc.?..... There are lots of variations to the 1911 platform. I really do want to make the right and proper recommendation to you.

lewisjt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.1%
    113   1   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Hancock Co.
    Just got a Taurus PT 1911AR and love it! Has fed flawlessly thus far, finish isn't great but function, feel, and accuracy have all been awesome! I had a RIA and it didnt feed worth a :poop:. I hear others that have had luck with them though so who knows :dunno:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Rock Island Armory 1911A1.

The GI model is quite basic, but it's also only about $380.
    The Tactical model has better sights and a couple other differences, it's only about $420.

My wife, best friend, and step father all have Rock Island .45s. All have about 500 rounds through their guns, all have had no reliability problems, and they are all quite accurate. Lots of gun for the money.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I own 3 Colt 1911 variants but my Rock Island Tactical model is my daily carry. For less than $440 from Plainfield Shooting Supplies, you can't go wrong. Mines had around 1000 rounds down the pipe with only one FTE (on the 3rd shot from the second mag thru it) Don't get me wrong, my Colts are great but the RIA is a true value and a great, reliable shhoter.

mightymauser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Crown Point
    got both ria and taurus, just picked up the taurus, both have been great but for the money i think taurus seems to have a better trigger and overall function. great gun for 500 bucks.

hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    spend the money and get a COLT

colt1911006.jpg

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Can;t argue with colt holding their price and if you look and get Lucky you can get one for $6-800 ,That said the rock island new for under $450 with probably the best customer service available is hard to beat .Just look at some of the 1911 forms for owners dealings with rock island service.:)

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Rock Island makes fine 1911s for the price. My experience has been that they are for the most part reliable and fairly accurate. Still, keep in mind that you are buying a cheap pistol and they aren't as nice as other 1911s are.

I would spend a little more and get a Springfield G.I. mil-spec. They are slightly more accurate and reliable out of the box. You should be able to pick one up for around $500 maybe a little less. MidWestHuntersOutlet.com:Midwest Hunters Outlet - Your Complete Source for Guns and Hunting Supplies. has one for $478+shipping and transfer. Also, I personally think that the Springfield G.I. are more visually appealing than an RIA 1911.

You might also keep in mind that while Colt 1911s are expensive they are great guns. I have never had a Colt that wasn't extremely reliable and accurate. In addition they always hold their resale value. If you spend $800 on a Colt you will get a lot of that money back when you sell it if you keep it in good condition.

I still understand that you don't want to spend a lot of money and that being said I would recommend the Springfield G.I.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    If you don't want to spend a lot of money on a new one, my choice would be the Springfield GI also (can't beat Springfield's CS, on the off chance you would need them). Great gun for the money.

But for me, I would save a few more months and go with Kimber's Pro Carry II or a full size Kimber Custom II. You should be able to find a new one in the mid $800 range.

Plenty of used Colts, Kimbers, & Springfields in the $600 - $800 range also. Good luck with whatever you decide on and make sure you post what you decide on.

indyoshi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Noblesville
    Im a fan of kimber. they look great (like most 1911's do anyways) but any 1911 is pretty customizable and can turn into a nice piece with the right components

Top Bottom