• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tocws2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    KY
    Any recommendations for a youth 22 rifle, preferable with good open sights as the potential shooters (10-12 years old) don't want a scope. Any suggestions on a rifle and/or sights?

This will initially be used just for range shooting and target practice, just something to get the kids on the range, safety training, proper handling, etc.

Would like to be at $250 or less.

Thanks,

- jb

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My vote is a 10/22. While not a youth rifle specifically, its a solid platform that they will take into their adulthood. And the basic ones can sometimes be had for $200 on sale. ($250 at big box stores everyday)

Cricket and rascal are the two main youth rifles (single shot bolt action) and they each have their downsides.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The Ruger American Rimfire is another option. The youth model has interchangeable stock pieces for a different length of pull. Both action with good sights. I think they are around $300 new but used can be had for less.

tocws2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    KY
    My vote is a 10/22. While not a youth rifle specifically, its a solid platform that they will take into their adulthood. And the basic ones can sometimes be had for $200 on sale. ($250 at big box stores everyday)

Cricket and rascal are the two main youth rifles (single shot bolt action) and they each have their downsides.

With the 10/22 can they generally be handled properly by youth (i.e. weight, stock length, etc) without any assistance? If I could get something they wouldn't outgrow (from a size perspective) then I'd be more inclined to spend more.

I've briefly looked at the Cricket, but thought I would look for a "better" used gun than a new Cricket. Thoughts?

Thanks,

- jb

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    We have bought the following rifles for kids:
    Remington 521
    CZ 452 Military Trainer
    Ruger 10/22 Anniversary Rifle
    Ruger 10/22 Classic and retrofitted a Blackhawk stock to get a shorter length of pull.

We first thought bolt action was a must but later decided the safety lessons were the same regardless of rifle and adopted the approach of cameramonkey, give them something they will carry into adulthood?

tocws2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    KY
    Going to spend more than $250 but I always liked the CZ 452 Scout

Thanks, a quick search shows I can get the CZ for not much more than the $250 I was looking at spending. Will check with the LGS next time I am in there. Thanks for the recommendation.

-jb

tocws2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    KY
    The Ruger American Rimfire is another option. The youth model has interchangeable stock pieces for a different length of pull. Both action with good sights. I think they are around $300 new but used can be had for less.

Thank you, the interchangeable stocks sound interesting, especially since the gun could be passed on to younger siblings.

-jb

tocws2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    KY
    We have bought the following rifles for kids:
    Remington 521
    CZ 452 Military Trainer
    Ruger 10/22 Anniversary Rifle
    Ruger 10/22 Classic and retrofitted a Blackhawk stock to get a shorter length of pull.

We first thought bolt action was a must but later decided the safety lessons were the same regardless of rifle and adopted the approach of cameramonkey, give them something they will carry into adulthood?

Thanks, I was thinking bolt action also even though the kids have had some training and shooting experience. Good to know bolt action isn't a must, opens up other options. Thanks for the list of rifles to consider.

-jb

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    My vote would be a Yourh 10/22. It's going to be over your budget if you buy new but if you go used you could keep it under you budget. These are my sons and daughter 10/22's.

Ruger 10/22 $150.00

Tech Sight for Rail $69.00

Tech Sight Tool $5.00

G.I. Sling M14 $14.00

QD Swivel sling loops $9.99

Dovetail Rail $9.58

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    My vote would be a Yourh 10/22. It's going to be over your budget if you buy new but if you go used you could keep it under you budget. These are my sons and daughter 10/22's.

Ruger 10/22 $150.00

Tech Sight Tool $5.00

G.I. Sling M14 $14.00

Dovetail Rail $9.58

I have the same set up for my 9yr old and he handles it very well.

tocws2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    KY

Ruger 10/22 $150.00

Tech Sight Tool $5.00

G.I. Sling M14 $14.00

Dovetail Rail $9.58

Jay,

Those look nice, are the prices you listed retail or used and where did you buy your 10/22's?

Thand for the info.

-jb

tocws2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    KY
    I have the same set up for my 9yr old and he handles it very well.

Good to know it works for your 9 y.o., I want something the kids can handle on their own (with proper supervision, of course) so they are comfortable and safe.

Thanks,

-jb

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Age/strength of the child is a huge factor. My 9yo gets tired quickly shooting a 10/22 unless shooting prone. So get one in their hands first. If size is an issue, DEFINITELY go with a youth rifle. You will get better results.

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    We have a 10/22. Wife's favorite rifle. I just bought a Savage Mark II FVT. It comes with the aperture sights. If you are going to compete with iron sights this is hard to beat. It is $400+ though, but comes with an adjustable trigger.

RBNIGq6Og_fd65bf051e926af1bf7f63eb4946883f.png

tocws2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    KY
    Age/strength of the child is a huge factor. My 9yo gets tired quickly shooting a 10/22 unless shooting prone. So get one in their hands first. If size is an issue, DEFINITELY go with a youth rifle. You will get better results.

The weight is one of my main concerns, I want to make sure the kids can hold it properly, safely, and steadily without assistance. That is one reason I was looking at the youth models. Would be a shame for them to decide they don't like shooting because the equipment is suited to their needs.

Thanks again,

-jb

tocws2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    KY
    We have a 10/22. Wife's favorite rifle. I just bought a Savage Mark II FVT. It comes with the aperture sights. If you are going to compete with iron sights this is hard to beat. It is $400+ though, but comes with an adjustable trigger.

Thanks, this is probably more than I'll be spending at this time, but I appreciate the info and will keep this in mind if/when we need to upgrade. Won't be any competing right now, but if they like it who knows where it will lead us.

Thanks again,

-jb

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Another vote for the Ruger American. Good to excellent trigger out of the box, usable iron sights, stock modules for different length as well as height, good to excellent accuracy, excellent reliability. Grooved for scopes and also drilled for Weaver bases, numerous aftermarket options for really good irons. With the interchangeable stock modules instead of being handed down the rifle can grow with the shooter. Over your $250/rifle budget but if you look around it won't be by much.
    One thing I don't like about semi's for early training is the urge for beginners to replace fundamentals with firepower. As an ex-4H Shooting Sports Instructor, I can't tell you the number of times a kid gripped about using a single shot and wanted a semi to "really blast away". Not to mention ease of maintenance and cleaning of a bolt vs. a semi.

Snipercop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    SS Indianapolis
    My vote is for the Ruger 10/22 as well. It is an excellent rifle. I would try to handle the 10/22 as well as the youth model and see which is the better fit. Excellent guns!

Top Bottom