• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I Used to only buy CCI mini mags. Now I end up with winchester Experts or federal bulk pack. Growing up it was get sighted in and then shot at tree rats and coon. Now i plink more and target shoot lots.

Experts seem to shoot very well in my marlin 39a. The federal bulk works but it is dirty. I have some pistols that like the experts and cci.

Heck being a horder I have ammo that is almost as old as I am.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    For general plinking Federal bulk is fine with me. A while back I got a deal on some cases of copper washed PMC Zapper and that serves well too.

I will spend the money for some loads. CCI Velocitor is worth it to me for certain rimfires.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    For just punching holes in paper, I have been buying the Remington bulk packs. I get a few squib loads now and then, but it works.

For actual target shooting (I don't hunt - yet), I use CCI. Either mini-mags or maybe Stingers. They seem very consistent.

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    The Federal Champion Value Pack has worked well for my .22lr's. I used to just buy whatever, but my Walther P22 is picky. i got really tired of manually cycling it, and the upgrade in ammo definitely made the difference. Went through an entire box about two weekends ago without a single failure to feed.

I've had several squib, or pop-no-kick, loads with the Winchester bulk packs. I wouldn't recommend using such cheap ammo in any semi-auto unless you're experienced enough to know that feel. You could definitely wind up with a stovepipe.

I also have a bolt action .22lr Savage Mark II, the cheapo from Wally World. It was my first rifle back in the day. It's extremely accurate for such a budget gun with that Federal Champion. When I say accurate, we're talking about punching 3 holes in the center of a clay at 150 yards before deciding to blow it with a rim shot.

Best of luck though, happy plinking!!

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I buy whatever bulk packs I can get in bulk at the time for storing and plinking. I stocked up on CCI SGB's before they discontinued them for my hunting.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Almost exclusively CCI. Minimags, stingers, velocitors, CB shorts, are all loads you will find in my ammo storage. I have a .22 pump that really seems to like Winchester Wildcat, so I hoard a good bit of that as well.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    It's funny how the ammo changes. I bought a case of Win. Wildcat at auction years ago and it was super reliable and accurate in all of my buckmarks. Shot some out of a new lot not long ago and totally different results. Same for Remington Thunderbolt. Loved it in the early 1990's shooting bowling pins. Seems dirtier and less reliable now.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    It's funny how the ammo changes. I bought a case of Win. Wildcat at auction years ago and it was super reliable and accurate in all of my buckmarks. Shot some out of a new lot not long ago and totally different results. Same for Remington Thunderbolt. Loved it in the early 1990's shooting bowling pins. Seems dirtier and less reliable now.

I have noticed the same thing with Winchester Wildcat. I used up the last of the WWC I stockpiled during the 90's last year. The stuff I've bought since then is just as accurate out of my Rossi 62, but I get fail to fires and noticeably weak loads about 1/200 or so. The WWC I bought in the mid 90's I don't know that I had even one dud in 10-15k rounds.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I Used to only buy CCI mini mags. Now I end up with winchester Experts or federal bulk pack. Growing up it was get sighted in and then shot at tree rats and coon. Now i plink more and target shoot lots.

Experts seem to shoot very well in my marlin 39a. The federal bulk works but it is dirty. I have some pistols that like the experts and cci.

Heck being a horder I have ammo that is almost as old as I am.

Dang "J", you got black powder .22's??:banana::banana:Bill..:dunno:

gcoop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Indianapolis
    seems to me that each pistol or rifle will shoot one brand of ammo better than another ammo. old or new ammo, try several different types in each gun and find out what works best in that gun.

Top Bottom