• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I have been looking around to find a .22LR to purchase as my first pistol. I have come across a couple that I am interested in, and I want opinions from the great pool of knowledge that is INGO :):

First up is the Walther P22. This is listed at $350 at Gander Mountain, and it has great reviews. I have a bb pistol that is made in this guns image, and I love shooting it. I figured I could practice with the bb while at home, maybe improving my accuracy when I get live rounds down range?

The next option is the Ruger SR22. Also listed at $350, and also having great reviews. It seems that you really can't go wrong with Ruger; they will last forever and shoot great if you treat them right.

Then there is the Ruger Mark III. There have been different prices at different stores, as well as a couple posted here or on Armslist. I am not a big fan of the target model, as I like the look of the others better, but the couple stores I have talked to about this gun says it will eat any ammo it is given. Considering the ammo shortage, I would rather not be frustrated with my gun simply because I cannot find ammo that feeds well.

I will be going to my LGS tomorrow and handling all three of them, I just wanted the advice from those that have actually fired the weapons. As far as I can tell, these three are the best options in my price range (300-400) and they all are spoken highly of. Has anyone had better experiences with one or another, or has any reason why I should hold one in higher regard? Also, if there is a different option I need to look into, I am all ears. You all know better than I!!!

Also, my father has a Ruger Mark II that he rarely uses. The only time it gets used is when we go to my grandparents house, which is becoming less and less often. I could probably buy it off of him, for much cheaper than the other guns. Should I consider this as well, or would I be happier with the others?

Thanks.

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Of those three, I think I would recommend the Ruger Mark III (or your dad's Mark II). Outside of those you have asked about, I would recommend the GSG 1911-22.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I have an MKIII 22/45 and it's digested every brand of ammo I've loaded in it. Nothing wrong with buying your Dad's Ruger if that's an option - more money to spend on ammo and a mag loader.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    MK3.

I have literally thousands and thousands of rounds threw mine without the first hickup. Ive cleaned it 1 time out of 10,000:dunno: rounds. It didnt need cleaned then, I just had the barrel off threading it so I figured I mise well.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    my father recently bought a MKIII. its pretty damn fun to shoot, and I have an inherent love for all things ruger - i love ruger guns. they'll shoot in mud. they'll shoot in sand. they'll shoot when you cast bullets from bits of the action. and they function great as a hammer. and a tire iron. and a good weight in your truck on snowy roads.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Like everything else, it depends. Hard to go wrong with any of them. If you want something that is configured like a carry gun, go with the Walther or SR22. If you want something strictly for target shooting, the MK II or III will be a lot more satisfying. Although I own a 1911-22 (Colt), shooting it is hardly comparable to a 1911 in .45. Also, some of the 1911-22's have a small hex screw that must be removed for disassembly. I avoided those, because I can see that tiny screw getting lost.

If you go with the MK II or III, you will learn a lot about takedown and assembly. :)

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Are you purchasing for plinking in general? training? bullseye practice?

As it is my first one, I would like it to be for training. Learning how to shoot pistols accurately, takedown, ect...Not really looking to carry, this is more of a learning pistol. I'm thinking the less money I can spend the better, so for now I'm going to put the mark ii first on my list. If anyone wants to try and persuade me otherwise, I am willing to hear it. I have a feeling I will be getting a second one towards Christmas haha

Thanks for the help!!!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    If it's training, I would look at an M&P22 pistol as an option. They're fairly accurate little guns, and fit/function like a regular semi-auto. around mid $350ish. mags are pricey (35ish). last 1500 I saw them for 299. I almost bought a 2nd at that price.
    I have not shot the mark II. so take it for what it's worth.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Mark iii over the mark ii? Even if I can get the ii for around 150?
    Most would say the mk II is better than the mk III, because Ruger lawyered up and put a bunch of unneeded safety features on the mk III. MK II for 150 is a NO BRAINER. Take care of it... or don't, either way it will outlast you.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Honestly I don't think it has been used all that much, and it seems to be in great condition. I have shot it more than anyone else, but that isn't saying much. Probably 100 rounds through it that I know of.

Definitely go with the II then? The reason I was wanting new was a) i would get ammo with it most likely b) if we had multiple guns it would make plinking that much more fun and c) I kind of wanted it to be MY gun, knowing where it came from and how it has been taken care of. But I guess getting it passed down through the family is a good tradition to start.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I happen to love every gun I have. But the only .22 cal pistols I have are a Ruger Single Six & a 22/45. The 22/45 is great because it has the same fit and feel as my 1911 so I feel like I am practicing with my .45 with really cheap ammo!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Are you purchasing for plinking in general? training? bullseye practice?

That was going to be my question as well... intended use defines which tool to use.

If it's training, I would look at an M&P22 pistol as an option. They're fairly accurate little guns, and fit/function like a regular semi-auto. around mid $350ish. mags are pricey (35ish). last 1500 I saw them for 299. I almost bought a 2nd at that price.
    I have not shot the mark II. so take it for what it's worth.

I'd agree with this. Basically practice with as close to what you carry.

All that said, if you can get the mark ii for $150 that's probably a worthwhile purchase.

Top Bottom