• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Looking for a host for a new toy coming from Corey. I was thinking an m&p ar style or the sig 552. I already have a 10/22. Anyone have any experience with these rifles? Am I missing other possibilities?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I've got a Kel Tec SU-22 that is fun. It comes with a factory threaded barrel and uses AR conversion mags, readily available and reasonably priced 25 rounders. Nice and light, compact and priced around $300 or so. Mine had a buggered chamber from teh PO dryfiring it a bunch. Once I got that sorted out, it's been pretty near 100% with all kind of ammo. Even cycles Remington and Fiocchi Subsonic HP's with my Gemtech OBII on it.

Doug K

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    s&w ar 22 was nice,the new colt was not as good or fast as a single shot,where you carry one 22 shell and leave the rest at home,then run home and get another,and so on.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I bought the 22 conversion kit for one of my AR's. After a litle break in, it works very well. I also bought a new Mossberg 802 and had the barrel shortened to 16.5 and threaded, it's a lot of fun with my TAC-65.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I did look at an Su-22 yesterday. I like that it folds up. Wish it had a pistol grip though.

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    I'd just get another 10/22 and do some kind of build. With all the accessories out there, you could make it into pretty much whatever you want. You could make a match king out of one or make a tactical one for the zombie bunny apocalypse, or whatever you want. This would also give you the advantage of having interchangeable mags and that sort of thing. You could even buy a Charger.

Last edited:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I have the SIFG 522 and it is an absolute blast to shoot.

I've put 400 no jam rounds through her. I use her as a companion rifle to my SIG 556.

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    I purchased a M&P 15-22 a few weeks ago and am very pleased with it. It shoots great, it's fun to plink with and it is almost identical to a real AR. I want a 10/22 at some point but I am glad I got the 15-22 first.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Have you looked at the new Ruger that looks like a AR but is a 10-22, uses the same mags.

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Umarex/Colt M16 22lr. Despite all the bad press, its a great 22 if you use the right ammo. Bought mine for $559 out the door.
    GSG AK47 22lr. Great gun as well, shoots the crap ammo well. $323 out the door.

papakevin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Well, I've got two of the Sig522s. Purchased the first one for the wife and liked it so much, I had to get me one as well. The advantages: Uses standard AR-15 conversion magazines, so if you get an AR with a 22 conversion kit (like a CMMG) the same magazines will work in both guns. Very well built gun, eats all kinds of ammo. Disadvantage: does not come with any iron sights (which sucks) however if you have a scope or red dot handy, it's not an issue. I think the price for the gun runs $400ish to $460ish.

I also just got a new GSG-522. Haven't shot it yet, but have shot my buddies GSG-5 (original gun). The new 522 is the same internally with a couple external modifications. Got this one from Aim Surplus for $385 shipped, which seemed like a deal to me.

I looked strongly at the M&P, but didn't like the plastic feel or the fact it took a specific magazine (unlike the Sig522). I did like the fact it came with sights, which is a big bonus, for a few dollars less than the Sig522.

In the end, it was an easy call because the wife already had one and the magazines will work for both the Sig522 and my AR-15 with the conversion kit. Plus the solid metal feel of the Sig522 makes me think it will be a good little gun.

SundayShooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2010
    Hancock County
    I truly enjoy the S&W M&P 15-22. Good accuracy and a lot of fun to shoot.

The Sig 522 is nice, however, I was disappointed with it's accuracy overall. Some may like that the magazines are interchangeable with some other models, but they are a pain to load.

GSG-5, GSG-5P, GSG-5PK - ALL are fun to shoot. Magazines interchange between all the models, and of course they look cool. Both pistol versions are very heavy though.

GSG AK - An outstanding way to burn ammo. GSG said they tried to replicate the feel of the original AK (including the less desirable traits) and they did a fine job. A nice touch on the magazines is a round counter.

Kel-Tec PLR-22 - Magazine is interchangeable with the Sig-522. Mine was missing the rear sight when I purchased it, but I scoped it anyway so that was not a big deal. Fairly good accuracy. Did I mention that the magazines are a pain to load.

Ruger 10/22T - I absolutely love this gun. It is not finicky about the ammo it eats. All it wants to do is remove the center of the target. I like that in a gun.

Ruger 10/22 Charger - Fun gun. Bounces too much on the supplied bipod for accurate rapid fire. Lots of options becoming available for customizing.

mdh11292

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Whiteland
    I had some trouble with the Sig 522 out of the box, but Sig has since fixed the issue. The eclips came off, and the spring broke because of it.
    I mounted a cheap red dot on it, since it doesn't have sights. All in all it's a cool gun that's a blast to shoot.
    I couldn't decide between it and the Smith. Went with the Sig because I liked the exrtra weight and that it felt more solid. I also dodn't like the forend on the Smith. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably get the Smith.

Top Bottom