• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I've got a 700 remington in 300wsm that id like to have rebarreled and chambered for a 358 indiana deer legal round based on the short mag round. I underdstand that there's at least a few options out there for this. Is there any one winner out there, or at least on more mainsteam than the others? Have and die makers started making up dies on their own, or all they all custom at this point?

Last edited:

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Because you are in the bolt action, there are folks that are loading up the 1.8" 358 based on the 300WSM round.

Just Hunt in Wabash is doing so and they have had reasonable success with it. Personally, and this is just me, keeping the pressure down so it can be used on the Encore platform, as the 358WSSM is, seems like a win/win.

You already have the bolt gun so......I would have to go find one..... or, I can get an Encore barrel from MGM and be out there.

Folks are getting just over 200fps from them over the 358WSSM but, once you have a 400 yard gun here in Indiana, what more do you need?

But, that is the fun of variety...... :D

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Given that you already have the magazine length and bolt-head from a 300WSM, the answer is simple: You want a 358WSM, the 1.800" version. I'd probably look at the BFG option first, but if he can't work with your M700 action, then find a good gunsmith that can install a quality 35-caliber barrel and chamber it. The dies won't be cheap, but this isn't an inexpensive proposition.

A good friend of mine down in Texas had his M700 turned into a 358WSM by David White. He's been very happy with it and you'll not find a better riflesmith.

Services offered by D&T

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I sent gauges and a reamer to McGowen and they made and installed the barrel on my action for ~$270. I've decided that the WSSM is more than enough gun for Indiana whitetail and I won't be reaming mine out to the 1.8" WSM.

BFG Cartridges has a WSSM and I believe he sells Hornady custom dies, and you can get a barrel from him too. I also think he has a 1.8" WSM available. http://bfgcartridges.com/

Redding has a wildcat die available "off the shelf" for the .358/.25 WSSM. These are the dies I bought (from Sinclair's) My rifle was made using the "Redding Compatible" reamer print from Dave Manson.

links:
    Redding Full Length Die Set, 358/25 WSSM : Redding Full Length Die Set, 358/25 WSSM | Sinclair Intl
    Redding Deluxe Die Set, 358/25 WSSM : Redding Deluxe Die Set, 358/25 WSSM | Sinclair Intl

The .358/.25 WSSM (aka .358 BFG, .350 Indy, and probably many more) and the .358 WSM 1.8" are probably your two best choices with that donor rifle. But any wildcat you can dream up (up to 1.8" case length) and a magnum case head would probably work.

The WSSM matches .358 Winchester ballistics (200gr @ 2525fps, 180gr @ 2650fps) and the 1.8" WSM can exceed the .35 Whelen (200gr @ >2900fps)

The WSSM is 300 yard gun whitetail rifle, perhaps more, if the shooter is up to it, and I believe that with the right bullet the 1.8" WSM could be a 350-400 yard gun -- for elk.

Last edited:

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    kludge,
    Do you have the three die set or the two die?

I was wondering if there would be any advantage for HUNTING ammo to get the neck only die.

I have yet to achieve the accuracy you have but, I am pushing them as hard as I can too, so, that makes a bunch of difference. Granted, I get sub MOA but just barely. Your bolt gun has turning in some fantastic accuracy, no doubt about that.

Also, I have run into a problem getting brass for the WSSM. The last time I was in Indy, I stopped at Gander Mountain and found 300 rounds of 243WSSM brass for $30/50, I bought it all. Now, there seems to be a bunch of 223WSSM brass around, but my buttons don't go that small. I may just have to break down and buy another sizing button, .223" to .258". Maybe the existing button would work, but going from .223" to .308" is a good long way and I do not want to have a bunch of necks cracking.......

At any rate, I absolutely love this caliber. It will take anything in this state and drop it right there consistently.

Hey, how did you do on your hunt this year so far?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I have the two die set... no need for a three die set for hunting, IMO, unless you take brass life into consideration. But for that extra $70 I can buy enough brass to last me a lifetime of deer... probably...

I'm not hurting for brass. I have 50 that I've formed (new Winchester .25 WSSM brass) with three loadings on them and 50 more still in the bag.

I've not used .243 or .223 WSSM brass (it has a different shoulder angle) and so far I don't have to. Midway USA says "out of stock, no backorder" but they list a 12/28/2012 in stock date, so who knows... It's probably one of those seasonal runs, and get it while you can.

The .25 WSSM is not the most popular, which I can't understand... to me it seems to be the best of the bunch... long range varmint to mule deer cartridge, but I think the .243 WSSM might stick around, as such, yes, I would get brass when you find it. I do think the WSM's are here to stay... and you will always be able to form brass from them, but it will be a bit harder to for WSSM brass from a WSM case than 1.8" WSM brass - just because there's more brass to move around. If at some point I run out of brass and can't get more I may ream it out to 1.8" WSM at that point, just to make life easier -- but I should be OK with the brass I have.

If there is one factor that might sway me at this point in time, that might be it... .25 WSSM brass isn't as available as it was 3 years ago... but then maybe it's all the Indiana hunters buying it all, and Winchester will make more.

I had a great hunt opening weekend and got two does and a buck.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I have a friend (yeah, I know, surprising!) that has found a source for 25 WSSM brass and I am such a brass hog, I may well just get another 100 of them, if the price is right.

The 243 WSSM and the 223 WSSM shoulders start in the same spot as the 25 WSSM but their angles are 2* different, 28* and 30* in respective order. I will have to do a cad drawing to see just how much that really changes the headspacing datum. It cannot be much and after they go BANG, I know I have enough powder in them to fire form them! ;)

I want to take a hog with mine yet. Both the wife and I got bucks this year. Mine was opening day @ 80 yards, perfectly broadside while hers was @ 80-85 yards and coming right at her. She is a pretty cool cookie, she watched it come from 200 yards away and then popped it when it got to that range. It literally flattened it. Entered in at the base of the neck, through the lungs and out the shoulder. Man did it ever put the shock on that thing though. The 200gr Accubond did a number on that thing after it left the barrel at 2520fps!

Glad to hear you were successful. I am not sure if I want to start the process of making brass from WSM cases, although, going through the process might just prove kind of fun....

Thanks for the reply!

Top Bottom