• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I know folks who build rock crawlers or buggies out of the Geo tracker's or Suzuki samurai's. Don't know if they are any good in stock form or not.

Suzuki Samurai are very capable little 4x4’s. Geo trackers (Suzuki Sidekick rebranded) are not. They are unibody vehicles that allow nowhere near the articulation of the Samurais. Samurais have actual frames and can be modded out basically like mini Jeeps.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    We bought the wife a Suzuki Grand Vitara back in 2002. Same vehicle as the V6 Tracker of the day. Great little rig. 2-spd transfer case with a real low range. The little 2.5v6 liked to rev and was smooth. Body on boxed frame. Solid cast control arms. Think Jeep Liberty but actually built right. Took it off roading in AZ on street tires and it never missed a beat. The rear skid plate is an1/4” steel plate. I miss ours a lot. 2002 they gained 10hp over ours and a new interior in 04.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Suzuki Samurai are very capable little 4x4’s. Geo trackers (Suzuki Sidekick rebranded) are not. They are unibody vehicles that allow nowhere near the articulation of the Samurais. Samurais have actual frames and can be modded out basically like mini Jeeps.
    This is 100% false. Even the final generation grand vitara used a full box frame.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    One of the big 4wd magazines did a build on a Geo Tracker recently and slapped some solid axles under it with tires in the upper 30 inch range, possibly 40 inches. They did a lot of cutting away of body to keep it as low as possible while providing plenty of articulation. They used the stock engine, transmission and transfer case. Their justification was new side by sides can run close to $30k and they built a more capable vehicle for around $5k.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Are we going mudding, or, are we going to do some work? Either of these will do the work.

7198A56F-716F-4E46-9DC4-C628797DB2D8_zpsjawwfgo9.jpg

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    Jeep Cherokee. They are a dime a dozen. Get on any Facebook for sale page and you will find some for parts or running for anywhere from free to probably $4500, for a nice lifted one. Or drive around, they are everywhere.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Okay i will go on the record as saying the Suzuki Samurai was a great vehicle but that being said the time to buy them was when they "were" cheap. Back in the day when they had the reputation of being a rollover death machine!!! and you could buy them all day for less that $2K. Now they have a cult following and even a rusted out one is well over $2K. I just think that ship has sailed and as stated above there are cheaper options out there if all you are wanting is something to beat up in the woods.

Lots of old rusted out Toyota pickups out there with the old 22R motor that can be had cheap and will run forever.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    Please point me to a cheap toyota! I haven't seen one around here for under 4k that wasn't blown out and ready to break in half for a few years now.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I used to have a 87 GMC s-15 4x4 Jimmy 2door with the 4.3 in it. Cheap and easy to fix. Never had major issues with any parts. And did the same thing you were looking to do with it. I had a roof rack and a trailer pad on mine. Also used to leave the back to seats down to have more cargo space inside. Put a set of 31's on it and had minor rubbing on the front end. But even with stock tire size i got into a lot areas I shouldn't of been in. Great car and the one I always complain about not having anymore.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I used to have a 87 GMC s-15 4x4 Jimmy 2door with the 4.3 in it. Cheap and easy to fix. Never had major issues with any parts. And did the same thing you were looking to do with it. I had a roof rack and a trailer pad on mine. Also used to leave the back to seats down to have more cargo space inside. Put a set of 31's on it and had minor rubbing on the front end. But even with stock tire size i got into a lot areas I shouldn't of been in. Great car and the one I always complain about not having anymore.

I've still got a 1988 S-10 extended cab 4x4 pickup, but I'm thinking of selling it if I can find it a good home - our family bought it new in 1988, so it's got family history and sentimental value to me and even if I don't get a lot of money for it, I want it to go to someone who will appreciate it for what it is. Much like you, I find the old S-series 4x4s very capable off-road and in my case the combination of extended cab, pickup bed, and trailer hitch make it dandy for all kinds of jobs. It's only got stock size tires, but I'm running Firestone Mud Terrains - very aggressive and makes all the difference. The 4.3 V-6 has plenty of power for towing small trailers or to spin the tires and throw mud from the tread when that is needed. I've even used it to pull out small stumps and old steel fence posts for scrap, with the transfer case in low-range 4x4 and the aggressive tread, it didn't even spin a tire. I just eased the slack out of the chain and firmly tugged things out. Since it's fairly small and light compared to a full-size, it gets around in the woods about like a Jeep but with a lot more work versatility since it's a truck. And it's old enough that home repairs are easy for anyone who is reasonably handy - I can't do the same kind of work on newer vehicles - too complex and no room to get at things. If I could buy a brand new one identical to the one I have, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom