• ...and so much more!
  • Which Stainless 5" 9mm 1911

• Total voters

kobra

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Check out Taurus. A buddy I shoot with has one. Darn good shooter. You can get a stainless for around $600.
    1911SS_9.jpg

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    Springfield Micro Elite Compact in 9 MM is a fantastic handgun and a great value. Its available in 40 caliber also. There are several more expensive 1911's out there but they don't shoot good enough to justify the additional cost.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Bummer... Just looked at the S&W website: The E-series bobtail commander doesn't come in a 9mm...that I could tell.

Looks like I'll be keeping my eye out for a Dan Wesson cbob!

-J-

kilo11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Avon,IN
    I get a lot of 1911 questions from students and one of the biggest questions I get is, "SA or Kimber?". Looking at the quality and fit of the two, you have to go with SA. The SA has much better quality out of the box and the fit of their 1911's seems to be more consistent. With that being said, I have never owned a Kimber that I didn't like. Although Kimber uses some lower quality parts and their fit is somewhat inconsistent, the performance seems to be really good. But, for the money, I will always go with SA if given the choice. Now from a gunsmiths perspective, I choose SA because I typically have less work to do on their guns. That might be something you don't care about, but its something I look at.

As for the 9mm 1911. I would say that 9mm 1911's are not going to give you anywhere near the performance a .45 will. Most 9mm 1911's tend to be very finicky and ammo sensitive. I usually have to spend a lot of time working with them to get them to run reliably. But, if your willing to put up with it, then that's your choice.

Good luck!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Anyone have thoughts on the Springfield EMP or Kimber Tactical Pro in 9mm?

I used to own an early production (3 digit SN!) EMP in 9mm.

Fantastic accuracy. Simply fantastic accuracy. Beautiful gun, too.

BUT...something was out of spec in the slide of mine; it would perforate primers with the firing pin.

Springfield replaced the slide at no charge to me.

I proceeded to run another few hundred rounds through it and then sold it with full disclosure.

Made most of my money back, but not all of it.

Mine had the lightest trigger I've ever used on a handgun; it led to a few inadvertent doubles on my part.

Not interested in having another one; too small for what I want.

No problem recommending them to others, though!

-J-

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    1911 in 9 mm are few and far between. However, I own a Taurus 45 ACP and love it and it didn't cost an arm and leg. They make the same model in 9 MM. That would be a great buy and save some money too. I also like Springfield. I have the EMP compact 9 MM and it is the one handgun in my possession that I wouldn't sell even for a profit. There is a bunch of 1911's but unless I was carring it everyday target I wouldn't invest heavily because they don't shoot that much better.

Top Bottom