• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rat-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    where the work is
    Thanks for the link to the XDs thread on their forum. I'm not going to read through 35 pages of responses to the OP, but that could be said about any firearm, especially a newly released design. What I'm curious about is obviously there is inflation of the problems that are happening, but still some ARE happening. And while taking with a grain of salt, shouldn't be ignored either.

This would all be a lot easier if I just had a lot more money.

Last edited:

MMcarriesaSR9c

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Please reply to this thread with a range report if/when you can after your trip. I've never heard anything negative about the PPS's accuracy, though I've heard scattered reports less accuracy than expected with the XDs. I'm sure that's more than likely a personal thing, but still would like as much info as possible. Thanks!

Rat-Man,

The performance at the range Friday evening was awesome. Like I mentioned, I sold a very nice SR9c when I purchased the XDs because I wanted something smaller for EDC. The XDs fits that bill. The gun was flawless at the range and my first seven shout were in a 2" grouping at center-mass of the target. The gun is light weight and has very little kick in my opinion. However, my wife who has a Beretta Nano said that the snap was more than that of her Nano. But she was very accurate with the XDs. Most everything she shot was grouped in a 3" pattern. The last five shots were at center mass of the target. Her favorite feature of the XDs was the fibre-optic front sight. She now wants some for her Nano. Overall, a great handgun. Very glad to have it in my collection. The trigger was not bad, but should get better with each trip to the range.

Have never fired a PPS, so can give no comparison to the XDs. I may be looking for a XDs in .45 ACP to go along with the 9mm.

Hope this assist in your decision. BTW, we went to the Beech Grove Range (Friday) and they had both the black and bi-tone XDs in 9mm. $529 for Black and $599 for the bi-one. Not a bad price. I found mine on Gun Broker at a dealer in Minnesota ands paid $600 (no tax or shipping costs).

Good luck.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The XDs looks chunkier but I would love to put calipers on them both to see the difference, which I'm sure would in fact be quite small. The Tapered slide of the PPS makes it look even slimmer than it feels.

The xds is actually easier to conceal for me than my old shield was. The shield always had a bit of the end of the grip poking out of my shirt. I don't get that with the xds for some reason. They're all super close in size, but the geometries with grip angle, etc... will make them conceal just slightly different, and one may work a bit better for you depending on the angle you like to iwb, etc...

indygamerguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Muncie
    In my personal experience, I've owned two shields chambered in 9mm that I loved. They were very good shooters and I was confident it wasn't just comfortable to carry, or easy to rely on, but it was also fun to shoot and accurate at doing so.

However as I mentioned I have owned two shields; this point in time I don't have one. In summary, I always function a firearm and get a feel for it before I purchase it. I loved the Shield, but the blockier feel in the grip of the XDs-45 I fell in love with and have been carrying.

Just like the XD vs Glock feel you get, the Shield (more like XD) kind of curves off on the front end of the grip, the XDs (more like Glock) feels blocky, solid to me. No play on the X axis whatsoever that I did partially get with those other firearms. I have very unique hands and fingers and it's seriously crazy how much it feels like the Glock Compacts and the SA-XDS feel like they were custom tailored firearms built for my hands. YMMV, but HOLD and FUNCTION the firearms you're interested in. Make sure you like the slide racking, the way the magazine feels. Hell, sit there and reseat the mag a few times before you decide to buy. I've known of people who get tired of their mags pinching their fingers :-)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have both XDs in 9mm and in 45ACP and honestly have found them to be a perfect carry gun. 9mm has slightly better trigger but both are very accurate. Combined with Remora holster and it's a perfect EDC package. Some users have had issues with XDs in 45 not returning to battery but that has been ruled to be caused by mostly limp wristing or bu too much lubrication in the firing pin channel. Both of these problems are gone (as far as I know) from the 9mm version. Right not you can get one for around $510 locally.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    My PPS is one gun I will never part with. LOVE it. XDs is a great gun, as is the shield. I've shot the XDs in .45 and that's a wonderful shooter as well, but I could never replace my PPS. To me it's just the perfect carry gun.

rayf268

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    ft wayne
    I have a pps and have found it likes to be free of lint to run properly. Its that or it doesn't like hornady critical defense
    Other then that I love it Carries great in iwb and feels good when shooting

rat-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    where the work is
    Purchased the XDs 9.

I have a full sized FoxX hybrid holster for my Walther PPQ, and was thinking of getting the "Little Fox" hybrid for the XDs. Any holster recommendations for those who EDC the XDs?

It's obviously noticeably smaller than my PPQ .40, but it's a hefty little guy. I weighed them both loaded and the XDs is 1lb 9.7 oz, and the PPQ is 1lb 15.2 oz. So only about 1/2 lb lighter for a much smaller gun. I noticed the XDs was heavier than the PPS when I was handling them both, so we'll see how much that weight matters if at all. It certainly is much thinner and should conceal much better I'm sure.

PPQ+XDS.jpg

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    i owned both the PPS and the XDS. I sold the PPS. For me the xds fit my hand A lot better and the trigger is alot smoother. Shooting side by side the XDS has less felt recoil.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    PM9, PPS, XDs, Shield... get whichever one you like most and shoot it as often as you can.

My personal choice is the M&P Shield, carried it steady for a year and still love it.
    Tried the PPS and hated it
    Tried the PM9 and liked it
    Tried the Shield and like it even more
    Never tried the XDs and doubt I will due to hating the grip safety

Top Bottom