• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308skinner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    So, IN
    If you are going to carry a .45, might as well start with one. There's no reason to if you like the 9mm. It's a very effective defensive round with proper ammunition, and costs almost half as much to shoot as the .45.

My plans are if i can shoot it pretty good then i gonna load for it. Then get a 45 just for a truck gun and to carry and not shoot it alot unless i want to make some really loud bangs on steel. I think i may end up just buying both the 9 and 45 and see what one i like the best.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My plans are if i can shoot it pretty good then i gonna load for it. Then get a 45 just for a truck gun and to carry and not shoot it alot unless i want to make some really loud bangs on steel. I think i may end up just buying both the 9 and 45 and see what one i like the best.

If you plan on reloading, you can shoot the .45 almost (not quite) as cheaply as the 9mm if you use cast. The .45 is a lot easier to load for, IMHO, especially when using cast bullets. It produces superb accuracy with less effort. 1911s, XDs, and M&Ps are great guns to start looking at in .45s.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I think i just need to go to the shop and handle a few of then to see what one fits me the best then go from there.

That is the first step! Once you've whittled down the list, try to find someone to let you shoot the ones you like. That may wittle it down a bit more.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm a fan of the Bersa 9mms. I have both the 9UC (compact) and 9HC and both are great guns to shoot and carry well. My son has a Bersa 45UC which is a nice gun too. The nice things about the Bersa 9s and 45s is that they feel the same and have the same manual of arms. You can practice a bunch with the 9 and carry the 45 and the muscle memory of the draw and sweep of the safety is the same. It's nice that they are inexpensive too. You hear very few issues reported with the Bersas and if you do have one, they have a lifetime warranty as well as having great customer service.

Both the 9 and 45 cartridges are excellent personal defense rounds when carried with quality ammo. You typically trade capacity and speed for size with the 45 as compared to the 9 but both are effective. I typically carry a 1911 in 45, but sometimes like to carry the 9HC with 17+1 and a spare mag. That gives me 35 rounds vs 16 on my 45 if I carry 7+1 and a spare 8 round mag.

One other gun not mentioned is the Browning Hi-Power. I don't own one yet, but will probably have one before too long. Of all of the 1911s, Bersa's, Walthers, etc. I have, holding the Hi-Power felt better than any of them. It's like it was crafted just for my hand. Sooner or later, I'll have to add one to the collection.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Well, you know you don't like the Glock, so here's a starter list for you to try. They are all very fine functioning firearms, all plenty accurate, durable, and reliable. The differences will be subjective and financial. You seem to be looking for a full sized firearm, so I'll list some of those, in no particular order.

Springfield Armory XDm
    Springfield Armory XD
    Ruger SR9
    Smith & Wesson M&P9
    Beretta 92FS
    Beretta PX4 Storm
    Taurus PT92
    Taurus PT99
    Browning Hi-Power
    CZ75
    Smith & Wesson 5906/5904 (used)
    1911 in 9mm (several manufacturers)
    Stoeger Cougar, or a used Beretta version of the same gun if you can find one used
    Sig P226

Would be my choice of these.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I own an XD45 and a XDm40 and love them both. Great guns at a very reasonable price. ZX guns has quite a few in stock at some of the best prices in the area. My father just bought an XDm9 a month ago for $529 there. The difference in the XD and the XDm in 9mm is magazine capacity, adjustable back strap, and a redesigned grip and slide.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I see Joe listed the Taurus PT92 and 99's on his list. They are both all metal hammer fired guns. Taurus also makes a fine polymer hammer fired 9mm called the PT 809, fine firearm, and I've had mine for almost a year.

Also as a note, it uses the same frame for the .40 (840) and .45 (845) models so they have the same footprint and feel. Greatly enhancing the usability if you like it.

They also are coming out with a .22 model called the 822 than can also be bought as a conversion hit that will fit all three models of the bigger calibers. I think they will have both a 4.5 and 6 inch barrels for the 822 and the conversion.

Great way to get the most bang for the buck.
    Image of my 809 below.

peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    i'd go with the m&p. i have one in 9mm and i have the large grips on it but the medium grips are still comfortible.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I would go with the M&P. I bought mine in February,and I love it. It is my carry gun. Right now Smith and Wesson has a 50.00 rebate or two free mags. Can not hardly pass it up. I liked the way it feels more so that the XD. Eveyone that has shot wants one,they all agree it feels great to shoot! Good Luck in your decision. It took me a year to decide on the M&P.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    My first 9mm was the XDM. It is a very accurate shooter with good ergonomics, a quality barrel, and good trigger out of the box. Everyone who has tried it at the range also had very positive comments. The grip is a little aggressive for some, but it doesn't bother me. I like the combination of the 1911 grip safety and the "Glock-style" trigger. It is a full size gun, so don't expect to conceal carry it very easy unless you're a large person (of course there is always open carry.) Oh, and the plastic holster works just fine at the range.

My second 9mm was the CZ P-01. It just feels so right in the hand: metal body, rubber grips, nice balance and very accurate. The trigger on a new one is "gritty" and takes a bit to get used to and worked in. It is DA/SA with a decocker. A downside I've found is that holsters and mags aren't as common for this model. One other complaint by some is the slide is narrow, so some people have trouble grasping it to rack the gun. In my opinion, and practice, is it is not a gun that one would do any kind of fast draw and racking of the slide by palming the top (the argument of carrying one in the chamber aside).

Lastly, I very much enjoyed shooting my friends M&Ps. It will likely be my next purchase. Oh yeah, and the current rebate that B. Hunter noted is nice too!

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    I would go with the M&P. I bought mine in February,and I love it. It is my carry gun. Right now Smith and Wesson has a 50.00 rebate or two free mags. Can not hardly pass it up. I liked the way it feels more so that the XD. Eveyone that has shot wants one,they all agree it feels great to shoot! Good Luck in your decision. It took me a year to decide on the M&P.

Is this rebate for the M&P also? I could only find it for the Sigma.

308skinner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    So, IN
    Well i handled a few today. Tryed the Glock, SR9, XD, XDM, and the M&P. I really liked the feel of the MP. So i hve in narrowed down to the XDM, XD, MP.

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    180   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy
    Well i handled a few today. Tryed the Glock, SR9, XD, XDM, and the M&P. I really liked the feel of the MP. So i hve in narrowed down to the XDM, XD, MP.

This is a very good start. The best advice I can tell you is that it doesn't matter what anybody on here tells you about how they like a certain gun. It only matters how it feels in your hands. Handling and holding a gun is one thing, but firing them is another.

Try to shoot as many different guns as you can before you make a decision. Many of the people on here will gladly let you shoot their guns if you ask them. Or try to go to a range that rents guns so you can try some there.

The list and the advice Joe has given are good advice. I suggest making sure that you try a CZ75/85 as well. They have great triggers and get passed over too often.

Top Bottom