• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Looks like this might be the right place to ask an AR question. Have considered an AR for several years, trouble finding the right one. Each one a review/friend/other recommends so far has not felt right for me. Maybe building one is the answer? Almost bought a Ruger 556, but not balanced. Too barrel heavy. Anybody build a well balanced, reliable, accurate, easy to maintain AR willing to offer recommendations? Thanks.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    octalman I moved this post into its own thread. It seemed like a much better fit than taking another thread off-topic. You should receive better responses here.

chewylax8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Maybe building one is the answer?

If this is your first AR, I would suggest buying one rather than building, then build your second, and third, and fourth (it's a disease!). There are a lot of deals to be had out there, it's a buyers market. Figure out what you want to do with it, i.e. range toy, home defense, carbine course, etc. Once you have narrowed that down, you can better determine what you want/need.

Honestly, if I was looking into my first AR at this point, I would get the PSA carbine with Aimpoint PRO for $999.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Your going to get a different answer from almost everyone you talk to on this subject. Find one that fits you and your needs and buy that one. Handle as many as you can in person, and go from there. But I would suggest buying a complete rifle Vs. building one for your first rifle. To kind of give you an idea of whatthey are all about before you go investing money in tools an such. Good luck with you purchase.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Look at all of them, pick the one that suits your needs.
    Sorry, I couldn't resist.

^^^this^^^

Sorry, I know it isn't much help, but it is the truth.

Decide what the main purpose of the weapon will be. Home defense, SHTF prep, hunting, competition, etc...

Then after looking at as many as you can go with what best fills your needs and what you like best.

You can get 100 replies and easily have 90 different suggestions. Best of luck with your search! :ingo:

Bersalover

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 14, 2011
    Ar

Looks like this might be the right place to ask an AR question. Have considered an AR for several years, trouble finding the right one. Each one a review/friend/other recommends so far has not felt right for me. Maybe building one is the answer? Almost bought a Ruger 556, but not balanced. Too barrel heavy. Anybody build a well balanced, reliable, accurate, easy to maintain AR willing to offer recommendations? Thanks.

I am actually in the same boat, but want to gear more towards shtf and hoping to get into a product that will be more valuable in time. Dont even know if those two things go together in this scenario

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Honestly, if I was looking into my first AR at this point, I would get the PSA carbine with Aimpoint PRO for $999.

i think this is sound advice because it comes complete, excellent optic, and seems to be good quality all the way around. buy a sling and extra magazines and your set. i'm pretty sure this will be my first AR

what ever you decide good luck

jake

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I am actually in the same boat, but want to gear more towards shtf and hoping to get into a product that will be more valuable in time. Dont even know if those two things go together in this scenario

Look at it this way, if the SHTF, it will be very valuable ;)... otherwise just shoot the hell out of it and enjoy.

I'm not overly worried about investment value or collectors value.

Top Bottom