• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 465guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2008
    Looking to get ahold of an AR15. Bushmaster and Rock River Arms have come highly recommended. Suggestions?

465guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2008
    ninja's post about the Sig 556 got me interested in that rifle as well

AKsteve

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Avon
    You might want to hold out for the Masada

masada.jpg

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Bushmaster and Rock River Arms both make good ones. Cant go wrong either way. My friend just picked up a Bushmaster but he hasnt had a chance to shoot it yet.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    No personal experience with either, but a self-proclaimed "AR aficionado" friend of mine doesn't care for Bushmaster. He'd take the RRA over the Busy, and a Colt or LMT over those.

He built my Dad's Colt, and I love it!
    7yhem8g.jpg

Take the advice for what you paid for it. . . lol

Last edited:

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    I'll be the first to say this. Build your ar and save around $250ish. There is a 11% exise tax on new guns. Lower receivers start around $90 and go up from there. Build your rifle the way you want it and not the way some corporate clown says so.

Here is a pic of the SBR that I built. I have right around $972 in the whole gun including the tax stamp and eotech. I defiantly pays to shop around.I built this rifle from a stripped lower receiver.

Also if you want help building one I have no issues helping and showing someone how to do so. Hell I'll even help someone is they want to go the class 3 route as well.

465guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2008
    Don can you give us a run down of the parts you used? Are there some companies to stay away from?

I'll be the first to say this. Build your ar and save around $250ish. There is a 11% exise tax on new guns. Lower receivers start around $90 and go up from there. Build your rifle the way you want it and not the way some corporate clown says so.

Here is a pic of the SBR that I built. I have right around $972 in the whole gun including the tax stamp and eotech. I defiantly pays to shop around.I built this rifle from a stripped lower receiver.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    My rifle is a complete J&T/Doublestar build except the m16 carrier that is a FNH-USA ( they are a .mil supplier) and the Houge grip. I have heard some bad things about the DPMS parts kits. If anyone wants to do a build party it don't take very many tools. And I'm sure I can borrow anything needed for it.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    If you want to build a basic AR, it can be done for around $600.

You can get rifle kits from $450-500 from either Del-Ton Inc or J&T (both are great kits). Then you just need a stripped lower.

You dont need many tools for the build either.

I didnt get the kits because I wanted to piece together what i wanted. If you want to research building your own and company's parts, check out ar15.com.

WHITE_WOLFE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Greenfield
    My rifle is a complete J&T/Doublestar build except the m16 carrier that is a FNH-USA ( they are a .mil supplier) and the Houge grip. I have heard some bad things about the DPMS parts kits. If anyone wants to do a build party it don't take very many tools. And I'm sure I can borrow anything needed for it.

You know it brother...........I got one of these.......

And one of these......

IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch
    I have Bushmaster A2 carbine and love it but if I had to do over I would have bought a flat top.
    We are building my wife an AR from Rock River components when ever the reciever gets here.

Top Bottom