• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Just wondering which you would choose. Looking to make a light weight plinker/truck gun (if ammo prices go down). PSA or Windham Weaponry?

Don't worry so much about the upper receiver itself as the barrel and bolt will give you all your accuracy.

If you just want a truck gun/plinker, you could always save a boat load of money and buy Olympic Arms garbage....PSA and WW are decent companies, high low end to low medium quality.

But, I am an AR snob........

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Don't worry so much about the upper receiver itself as the barrel and bolt will give you all your accuracy.

If you just want a truck gun/plinker, you could always save a boat load of money and buy Olympic Arms garbage....PSA and WW are decent companies, high low end to low medium quality.

But, I am an AR snob........

Availability is an issue but I'm not in a big hurry. Both seem to make good products but I do want it to be accurate. What are some of the mid level makers in your opinion?

dragun762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    I chose the daniel defence lightweight profile mid length. with a spikes upper. and am very pleased

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Just wondering which you would choose. Looking to make a light weight plinker/truck gun (if ammo prices go down). PSA or Windham Weaponry?

Not sure on the makes. There are so many good ones. I would pick whichever one gave a mid-length gas system and chrome lined barrel. But that is just me.

The middies are just a bit less violent in the way the cycle.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Availability is an issue but I'm not in a big hurry. Both seem to make good products but I do want it to be accurate. What are some of the mid level makers in your opinion?

Stag/cmmg, bushmaster, rock river, S&W M&P, ruger. Are all good mid grade, respectable rifles which should be reasonably priced at $1000-1200 in these stupid times. $700-1000 in reality.

The ruger will be more since it is a piston rifle. I would avoid the older models as they suffer from BCG tilt and wear out the inside of the buffer tube.

If you're looking for used, don't be afraid of a rifle with 3000-4000 rounds down the tube. Most quality AR barrels will run between 9000-12000 rounds before being conspired useless. Of course, that number will vary GREATLY depending on the barrel steel, chrome lining, cleaning and ammo types used.

Just make sure to check the rifle thoroughly before committing to it. And also verify the round count if possible.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Yes, Windham is the former Bushmaster people/factory before Freedom closed it and moved it.
    Windham is a great gun, and you can see the MAC video on the factory. I find it funny when I hear all these discussion about the best AR when most haven't even fired em.

jonboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Northwest Indiana
    yeah thats what I thought so I'm not sure how anyone could say bushmasters are better than windhams. I would think it would be the other way around usually big corporations only concern is profit so cheaper product with higher price.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Having been around them the Windham to me is with Colt and many of the upper levels when it comes to fit and finish. Matter if fact it's probably one of the best fit AR's.
    is it a DD? Not really but give the group up there time and Im sure you will see some good things.

sparks408

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I have bought two Modal 1 sales upper's. And installed them on a couple of my builds and I had no complaints with them.

Top Bottom