• Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Hey, I took one of your classes a long time ago! :D

Got the gear, now I just need need some free time.
    Really I just replaced a set of Dillon carbide 223 dies that one of my brothers refuses to send back to me. I have at least two extra sets of 223 dies. and if you lucky you might just get a extra gift. Like a dried English walnut in the box, because Andy and I just roll like that.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I would stay away from any "green tip" ammo for range use if you intend to shoot steel. No one will like having the steel pitted from armor piercing rounds.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    Finished prepping 2 buckets of 223/556 cases last month. 223 cases are pretty much cleaned and reload, not many have crimped primers or over length. 556 cases for the most part are over length and have crimped primers. Perfecta and Arquilla cases have an offset flash hole, can bend or break decap pin. I have a good bit of Perfecta, Arquilla and Berdan primed cases going back to the scrapyard.
    Here's my setup. I'm old and eyes are weak, use a magnifying glass. I use a Coke flat (cardboard box that a case of bottled drinks are delivered in) in my lap filled with cases. 2 and 3 gallon buckets sitting at my feet with a tag that's easy to read. 223, 223 with crimped primer, 556, 556 with crimped primer and foreign. Look at the headstamp first along with looking for crimped primers, place in right bucket, keep all buckets labeled. Replace bucket when full. I then start with the 223 cases, with a pin light look inside for a single flash hole or double Berdan holes. They go into separate buckets. Next was the 223 with crimped primers. Most of them are USA made with LC headstamp. Most of the 556 were USA made. Most all 556 with crimped primers were LC headstamp. Moved along to the foreign cases. I found 1 1/2 gallons of Berdan primed with the pin light.
    My next step was to decap each bucket of cases. Add to the label the step finished.
    Next step was starting over with the 223 cases and measuring with a caliper. They measured 1.732 to 1.755. I don't trim 1.755 cases. Some of the 223 with crimp measured 1.758, they got trimmed to 1.750. Now I have 2 buckets, one that need trimmed and swagged. Next was USA 556 cases, most cases measured 1.760 plus. The ones with crimped were the same. Next was the foreign cases. All had crimped primers and measured 1.760 plus. I found a few that measured 1.770 plus.
    Next was trim cases to 1.750 that need it. Getting back to 2 buckets or containers. One without crimp and one with crimp. Set up my swag to remove crimps.
    Polish cases in corncob media with Nu Finish for 5 hours. I have 3 large flat rate boxes filled with cases ready for reloading.

Top Bottom