• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Hi all I need some help trying to decide on what caliber to make my SBR. I want to go either 556 or 9mm. Can you :ingo:experts give some pros and cons to both to help me decide?

Thanks Scott

Not an expert here, but I'm gonna split the difference so to speak and go .300BLK.

Standard AR parts for BCG, Mags, etc. with a lot of punch with a .30 cal projectile, both in subsonic and supersonic.

I've probably gotten too drunk on the kool-aid, but seems like a great niche weapon to me to bridge the gap between pistol and rifle cartridges.

:koolaid:

Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    If I were to SBR an AR, I would do one of those modular receivers. The rear portion and front magwell are separate, with the serial number on the rear portion. So you could swap out the magwell from 223 to 7.62x39, 9mm, 45, 5.45.....

Shooter1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Tennyson "Warrick CO"
    do something other than 223... 300 is a good choice. Lets be honest 223 isnt a good SBR caliber, when there are better choices. Have u thought about a draco sbr though Just curious?

qwkdrwmgw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    do something other than 223... 300 is a good choice. Lets be honest 223 isnt a good SBR caliber, when there are better choices. Have u thought about a draco sbr though Just curious?

Thanks for the response no I hadn't thought about a draco but that might be a way for me to go. I don't know anything about the 300 what kinda price is on the ammo? One other thing what kinda money are we talking to SBR a Draco I am pretty new to all this NFA stuff so just looking for some suggestions

Thanks Scott

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I would stick with an AR if it were my first SBR. Several choices to change it to in the future if you get bored.

Also I disagree that .223/5.56 isn't a good SBR caliber. If running into a firefight/defense situation and two identical guns were laying next to each other you can bet you butt I would pick up the 5.56 before I would the 9mm or .300BLK (That is if a .308 wasn't available!)

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    5.56/.223 is a fine caliber. Sure it isn't the best for any one particular thing, but overall it does a decent job. It doesn't overpenetrate like 9mm can, so for a situation requiring an SBR like CQB I think it is a better choice. Also 5.56 is more versitile than 9mm as with an sbr you should still be able to reach out past 300m. Good luck doing this with a 9mm. Stick with what the professionals use.

qwkdrwmgw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks everyone looks like we have some disagreement as to what is the better of the SBR calibers. I didn't mean for that, just wanted some pros and cons to each. From what I have read about the 300 the ammo is kinda high and scarce. I don't think anyone has voted for the 9mm so I think that one might get crossed off.

Top Bottom