• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles2253

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    North Webster
    I asked this on another forum but I wanted to know what you guys recommend. I am wanting to build an AR-15 SBR. I am trying to figure out what the best caliber would be to meet my needs. I am looking for something that would have effective terminal ballistics from CQB range out to about 150 yards. I was thinking about going with a 10.5" barrel. I am not dead set on that barrel length though. I will be reloading so wildcats are doable. What say you?

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Rifle caliber or what? 458 Socom rocks if you can afford it. 6.8 SPC was developed for SBR type performance. 50 AE is a short range man stopper. 450 Bushmaster is a thumper also. 7.62 x 39 is cheap to shoot.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I'll throw in a .300 in whatever flavor you want to call it. .300 Whisper/221/Fireball/Blackout I've got a 16" .300 BLK and it's a lot of fun. I can only imagine it in a shorter barrel with my can on it. It'd be great for CQB; matter of fact, that's what it was originally designed for!

Doug K

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Im rocking a 5.56@10.5", and 9mm@7.4" I love both, but love the 5.56 more. The 9mm was built on a whim (or as much of a whim as any NFA thing can be), and while I don't regret it, not my suggestion for a SBR until you are out of other calibers

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Hmmm.... 458 socom would be a pretty awesome SBR setup...

But it has plenty of drawbacks for your intended purposes...

5.56 would just fine for your intended needs. You'll come out money ahead in every way when you're done.

Mayday671

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Monroeville
    Hmmm.... 458 socom would be a pretty awesome SBR setup...

But it has plenty of drawbacks for your intended purposes...

5.56 would just fine for your intended needs. You'll come out money ahead in every way when you're done.

I agree the 458 would be sweet but for me I went 300 Blackout because I dont lose magazine capacity and the only thing I have to change is my barrel. I originally was going to run the 5.56 and build a second AR in 45 acp for my suppressed close range rifle. However the 300 Blackout solved the issue. Ive looked at 300 Whisper for 15 years but didnt want the hassle with everything needing to be custom built. Now that Blackout is being produced by every major manufacturer it is a great way to go.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Ive looked at 300 Whisper for 15 years but didnt want the hassle with everything needing to be custom built. Now that Blackout is being produced by every major manufacturer it is a great way to go.

that was the major stop for me. I'm not happy with what AAC/Remington did to JD Jones' idea and his hard work but I'm glad to have the caliber SAAMI spec'ed so I can play with it much easier. $250 for a barrel and you are ready to play. I went ahead and built another upper for it, but still have a fun toy at a pretty decent price.

Doug K

Mayday671

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Monroeville
    I think I will probably go with the .300 Blackout. It looks like it will do what I want it to do and will be less of an investment than a 6.8 would be.

I can say Im not disappointed by going to it. I wanted to go Whisper 10 years ago but just seemed to be a pain in the ass. Now that so many companies are jumping on board it makes sense. Plus we can hunt with it.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I can say Im not disappointed by going to it. I wanted to go Whisper 10 years ago but just seemed to be a pain in the ass. Now that so many companies are jumping on board it makes sense. Plus we can hunt with it.[/QUOTE]

We can? What, other than coyotes? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a deer legal caliber has to be .35 or bigger; correct?

Doug K

Mayday671

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Monroeville
    I can say Im not disappointed by going to it. I wanted to go Whisper 10 years ago but just seemed to be a pain in the ass. Now that so many companies are jumping on board it makes sense. Plus we can hunt with it.[/QUOTE]

We can? What, other than coyotes? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a deer legal caliber has to be .35 or bigger; correct?

Doug K

I stand corrected, you are correct. The info I was given was wrong. It does meet the case length requirements but not diameter. Thanks for the info.

Mayday671

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Monroeville
    What about 7.62x40? It seems like it is a little more versatile. What do you guys think?

From what Ive seen it doesnt feed in all 5.56 mags without modification. It also will not have the backing behind it like 7.62 x 35mm. It will be what 300 Whisper was before AAC marketed it.

Mayday671

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Monroeville
    What about 7.62x40? It seems like it is a little more versatile. What do you guys think?

The 7.62x40 WT only requires one unique component, the barrel to build. All other standard AR platform 5.56 caliber components are compatible. The 7.62x40 WT will function reliably with standard unmodified Lancer L5 magazines if downloaded to 17 or 24 rounds or Wilson Combat has modified Lancer L5 AWM magazines with 18/19 or 28/29 round capacity available that function ultra reliable.

Top Bottom