• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I'm new to reloading. I got an RCBS Rockchucker single stage press for Christmas and I want to start reloading a caliber or two to learn the ropes on.

The calibers I shoot the most are .40, .45, and .223.

My questions are these.
    If you were just starting out with a single stage press, would you start with rifle or pistol ammo?

Based on the press that I have, which die set should I get? I know from my reading that I want a carbide die set.

I DO have a good reloading manual, and am reading it. (ABCs of reloading) Going to hunt down a good manual of handgun/rifle loads right now.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I have die sets from Lyman, RCBS, Hornady and Lee. They all seem to work pretty well although several do have their little quirks. I have come to like putting a taper crimp on pistol ammo and the last die set I bought from Lee came with 4 dies , a shell holder and a powder scoop. So far the set seems to work exceedingly well. Have to wait and see if it performs over the long haul like the Lyman and RCBS dies. Good luck and congratulations.

BTW, Midway had the Lee 4 die set to me in the USPS in less than 48 hours from order time!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Lee dies will be cheaper.
    Pistol will be easier to reload.
    Rifle will need to be trimmed (usually) plus you will need to lube them, stuck cases suck.
    Get a few different manuals, Accurate, Hogdens, Spear all have good manuals.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would start loading for the .45 ACP for a couple of reasons.

You will realize the greater savings loading that over the other 2.

When given the choice to start with a low pressure round or a high pressure, I would start with the lower pressure choice, especially since it would be the one with the largest savings potential anyhow.

Get a little experience before moving onto the .40 where you could run into bulged cases more often and where bullet set back could possibly become an issue much quicker.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I'm newer to the reloading scence myself, and the only dies I have ever used are Lee carbide dies. I don't know if there's anything better out there, but I'm totally satisfied with their performance so far, and I don't anticipate changing brands any time soon.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I would start loading for the .45 ACP for a couple of reasons.

You will realize the greater savings loading that over the other 2.

When given the choice to start with a low pressure round or a high pressure, I would start with the lower pressure choice, especially since it would be the one with the largest savings potential anyhow.

Get a little experience before moving onto the .40 where you could run into bulged cases more often and where bullet set back could possibly become an issue much quicker.

45 ACP is much easier IMO, due to the components being a bit larger and easier to handle. I would suggest using the taper crimp especially if you are using mixed brass (reduce/eliminate setback). Also great advice on having several manuals and I would also mention that the propellant makers also have great loading info available for free.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I cut my metallic reloading teeth on .45ACP - straight wall casing, reasonable pressures, and plenty of load data. All my dies are Lee, used on a Lee Classic Turret press. Since learning on the .45, I've expanded to load 9mm, .38SPL, and .357Magnum. Just getting ready to start my first bottleneck casing - .223, and will then move on to .30-30. For everything I load, I start off with 'starter' loads and work my way up to where I want to be, confirmed with a chronograph. The most important piece of your reloading equipment is a good scale. It doesn't take much of a mistake on powder amount to put you and your guns at risk. Don't skimp on buying a good one and use it!

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    :yesway: I've been reloadin awhile with a Rock Chucker. Start off with a pistol or revolver in carbide. The .45 ACP would be my choice also for a starter. The .45 ACP is like Apple pie and baseball. You can work your way up to a rifle later. It requires a little more details. Have fun.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I am fairly new to relaoding too. I got the Lee 4 carbide die set, with the quick change lugs, and love them. I started with 45acp. I haven't had any problems with any of the rounds I've reloaded. You may look at the Modern Reloading book from Lee, it has lots of good info, is easy to read and understand.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    in the lee brand of dies, there is a 4 set and 2 set. I am looking into the 45 cal ones. Which one should I get?

In pistol, the choice would be (3) die set or (4).

The difference between the (2) sets are the 4 die set includes the factory crimp die as the 4th die.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Pistol would be easier starting out IMO. You have an RCBS press, so why not go with RCBS dies? All red here, but if I had a different press would have different dies. Pistol I would say is easier because if you are using carbide dies you will not have to lube, you will also not have to trim brass (at least as much) As far as which round to start with....Go with whatever one you shoot the most. .45 probably cost the most to buy, but it probably cost the most to reload as well. If you shoot the .223 the most, you can start with that, but it is going to be more difficult. Not that you can't handle it, but to cut your teeth .40 or .45

c3d4b2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Start off with a pistol or revolver in carbide
    This is good advice.

I would also search the gun boards for what you are needing. I have see several people clearing out things they no longer need recently.

I would also suggest you consider what you shoot the most when purchasing the die set.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Rifle ammo is not necessarily harder to reload. Biggest thing is having to lube your brass when you re-size and trimming. You also have to keep lube off the neck of the case as it will dent it. It's more time consuming, but not really any more difficult.

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    I would recommend that you start reloading pistol rounds and that you use carbide dies. Lee dies will be fine, unless you just have a preference for others. Once you are comfortable with the process, then move onto rifle cartridges. It's not much harder, but does have a few additional/different steps and is just more to learn. Get a couple of different manuals and read them cover to cover-twice, before starting to load. Never load without an open manual on your bench.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    A reloading manual is a good source, though I only reference mine for OAL, COAL, etc. I get all my load data from the powder manufacture themselves.

Top Bottom