• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    My brother and I always had this debate about which eye to use when aiming. I am right handed and I use my right eye. My brother is also right handed and he boasts to me that he uses both eyes. Who's right? or are both of us wrong?

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    easy way to tell... hold your pointer finger up infront of you, close your left eye and focus it on something and then switch eyes and see where your finger goes from there.. me personally when shooting through a scope, shooting a handgun or iron sights i use my right eye. but when bow hunting both eyes stay open.. just helps me focus and follow my arrow.

-- i am not saying that either of you are wrong, everyone has their own way of doing things. just use the eye that hits the middle! :ar15:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am right-handed and left-eyed. Doesn't bother me with a pistol, but annoying with a rifle. I've been practicing with both eyes open more.

I don't know if there is a right or wrong way, but I've HEARD that both open gives you better peripheral vision. Once you get used to it, I guess.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    I am right-handed and left-eyed. Doesn't bother me with a pistol, but annoying with a rifle. I've been practicing with both eyes open more.

I don't know if there is a right or wrong way, but I've HEARD that both open gives you better peripheral vision. Once you get used to it, I guess.

+ 1

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I personally can use either with a rifle, but I use both when firing a handgun. I am left eye dominant and right handed, and learned to shoot right handed initially and because of my eye dominance I found it difficult and tried to shoot lefty but left handed wasn't nearly as comfortable as right handed. So I eventually made the switch back to right handed. Ten years ago all the lefty stuff wasn't as readily available as now, so I have only just recently gone back to left rifle shooting, but I have always shot a handgun with both eyes open.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If I'm using my sites or a scope, I only use my right eye. If I'm point shooting, then of course I have both eyes open. If you only focus with one eye, then you loose peripheral vision. For example, when room clearing. You do not want to move with your gun at the ready, and only focusing with one eye. As you loose peripheral vision. Keep your gun at chest level, when a treat arises you bring it to the ready and point shoot, keeping both eyes open.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It depends on several factors, including what kind of sight or optic you are using.

I'm right handed and right eyed. I go both eyes open when shooting pistol irons, or a red dot on a rifle. I will close my left eye when using a magnified scope.

IMO, if you can shoot with both eyes open, do it. If you can't, don't.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    another factor in this is which eye is you dominate eye. just like everyone has a dominate hand or foot, one of your eyes is used in a stronger manner than the other.

Top Bottom