• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    I have been bitten by the SBR AR bug and think I am going to pull the trigger. I was thinking of getting a factory built SBR because for one I hear it is easier to get the stamp and everything (if someone could speak to this it would be great). I have been eyeballing the Daniel Defense MK18 factory SBR. Does anyone have any other recommendations for a Factory SBR? I like the DD MK18 but I am not sure if I want the rail system because of the extra weight and I am a minimalist anyway and do not hang stuff off my rifles. Also I do not want a piston AR. Any input would be great.

Mayday671

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Monroeville
    I have been bitten by the SBR AR bug and think I am going to pull the trigger. I was thinking of getting a factory built SBR because for one I hear it is easier to get the stamp and everything (if someone could speak to this it would be great). I have been eyeballing the Daniel Defense MK18 factory SBR. Does anyone have any other recommendations for a Factory SBR? I like the DD MK18 but I am not sure if I want the rail system because of the extra weight and I am a minimalist anyway and do not hang stuff off my rifles. Also I do not want a piston AR. Any input would be great.

Below is the MK18 clone I built and no the stamp isnt any easier or harder to get it is the same process. I have a CMMG 10.3" barrel for sale to get you started. Im swapping it with a 10.3" 300 Blackout barrel.

BushmasterSBRwithEOTech516and3xMagnifier21.jpg

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    Max price would be about $1800. If I could stay around $1500 that would be best. If I decide to build one should I but the lower first so I can start the paper work? Also I worry about building an sbr ar caue they can be finicky and I want mine to be reliable. That is another reaon I want a factory sbr

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    If you dont want finicky go with an 11.5" barrel over the 10.5". The extra inch of barrel makes a huge difference in reliability when shooting unsuppressed.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    If you dont want finicky go with an 11.5" barrel over the 10.5". The extra inch of barrel makes a huge difference in reliability when shooting unsuppressed.

^^^^ this. Its amazing the difference that inch makes. If you choose to go shorter don't go under 10.5 if you ever plan to run a supressor on it at any point.

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    The only real advantage to choosing a factory SBR rather than assembling your own is that it doesn't require extra engraving since the original manufacturer is also the NFA manufacturer. It'll just transfer on a Form 4 instead of a Form 1, which is basically the same.
    You can save a bit of money by just assembling your own on a Form 1.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    Just looked at Stags website. They have a non-rail SBR upper for $550 and it is 11.5 inch which is favorable. Their complete lowers are $300. So I can get a SBR WITH stamp for $1050. That is $600 less than the Noveske basic SBR with stamp (granted you get a Vltor iMod Carbine stock and KX3 Flash Suppressor with the Noveske but that is not worth $600). How does stag compare to Noveske, DD and LMT?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    IMO, if I was looking for a "tricked out" factory SBR, I'd go Noveske or DD.

If I was looking for something more plain-jane I'd look at Spike's Tactical, or BCM (even though I don't believe they offer "factory" SBR options). LMT might have a factory option.

Last on the list would be Stag/CMMG/Bushmaster/RRA.

Specialized

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.8%
    87   2   1
    Jan 26, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Wow. Don't know what the selection criteria is for manufacturers, but I buy rifles based on materials quality, reliability, and value for the money. That may be why my rifles (which all shoot very accurately and go boom every time) came from either Stag, DPMS, or Bushmaster. I'd love to have an RRA as well, just don't have one at this point.

Maybe someone can educate me on the relative benefits of some of the other brands mentioned? Is it all about "pimp factor"? Better quality or different materials, styling, or something like that? Maybe I'm missing out on something, but I can't see paying an additional $500-$1000 for something that's going to throw pills with the same speed and accuracy as what I'm shooting today.

Specialized

Top Bottom