• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrogers88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    linton
    Well im lookin into gettin a gun for deer after about 6 years of only archery huntin. Ive got a 17hmr ive been wantin to trade off but dont know if i should get a shotgun,muzzleloader or rifle. What would you guys go with and why?

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    Probably go with the Super RedHawk .44 Mag.
    Just because its more challenging than the shotgun.
    But, a muzzleLoader is most versatile for the different seasons

r.gray87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Columbus
    I use a CVA Accura inline muzzle loader. I'm used to rifle hunting due to where I lived prior to relocating to IN. I like that I can have 1 gun that is accurate, light and reliable and I can use it for more than just the straight gun season. Without a muzzle loader you'll have to resort to archery again when that season comes in.

In my situation I can archery hunt the entire early season and then use the smoke pole from gun season thru black powder and then pick the bow back up for the late season.

It's perfect.

Cowboy45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Whitley County
    Amazing Gun

Well im lookin into gettin a gun for deer after about 6 years of only archery huntin. Ive got a 17hmr ive been wantin to trade off but dont know if i should get a shotgun,muzzleloader or rifle. What would you guys go with and why?

Ruger Deerfield.. It's a semi-auto 44mag.. Weighs about 3 pounds.. Wood stock.. I shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards.. Best deer gun I ever owned..

jrogers88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    linton
    What ive been realy wanting is a traditional style muzzleloader but cant find anybody who wants to trade. Ive had a few offers for tc omega,cva optimal and a few traditions inlines but i really dont want an inline,let alone one in a synthetic stock with the iron sights removed.if i wanted that id just get a rifled barrel fir my 870 and put my scope back on it

sinnful

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox
    I use a mossberg 535 and shoot a hornady slug out of a rifled barrel. Have taken to 12 pointers on our farms in the past 2 years. Both at over 200 yards. I'm thinking about buying a 358 wssm. But haven't read enough on its effective range to know if it is worth it or not.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I used (haven't been the last few years) a Mossberg 500 with a rifled slug barrel. Using hybred lightfields it will cloverleaf 3 slugs at 50y off of a rest.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I use a Remington 870 12ga with a rifled slug barrel with a barska red dot scope (no magnification) and remington accutip slugs. Shoots a 2" group at 50 yards. The nice thing about a shotgun is the ability to change out barrels. I also have a 28" field barrel that I use for birds and clays and am looking to purchase a shorter barrel for home defense.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I use an 870 Express Magnum Special Purpose Turkey gun with a 21 inch barrel (have to check for sure on the length) with regular old Winchester slugs. I have a Simmons 4x scope on it. I use it during fire arms season. During muzzle loader season I use a CVA Optima Pro with a Simmons 4x. Killed many a deer with both guns. I prefer shooting my muzzle loader, but I prefer a backup shot just in case, even though I have never needed one.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Pick up an Encore and get the barrels that you want. You can get a 44mag or shotgun in 12 or 20 gage smooth or rifled. You can also get one of the 1.8 wild cat cartridges in 358 or up from M.G.M.. If you reload you can get a barrel in 35 Remington and shorten the cases to 1.8 and load them to standard 35 Remington loadings. You have a lot of choices now days.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Thompson Encore. Get a .50 muzzle loader barrel and a .460 S&W barrel.
    Or, if you have no interest in a ML, and would like to reload, an AR in .458 SOCOM.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    What ive been realy wanting is a traditional style muzzleloader but cant find anybody who wants to trade. Ive had a few offers for tc omega,cva optimal and a few traditions inlines but i really dont want an inline,let alone one in a synthetic stock with the iron sights removed.if i wanted that id just get a rifled barrel fir my 870 and put my scope back on it

Traditional style muzzleloader? Such as?

Top Bottom