• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USPc40

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Madison County
    I guess I'm in the minority since I like the .40.

It offers the potential for higher capacity with theoretically more stopping power than 9mm.

I know, shot placement is key. But all things being equal, I prefer the .40 over the 9mm. You're likely to get a lot of opinions on this, this is just mine.
    I'll agree, I find the .40 to be neither snappy nor unpleasant to shoot.:twocents:

Terry Moore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Rossville, IN
    I was kind of wondering the same thing. I was swaying between the 40 and the 45. Most of of the guys that I know in Law Enforcement like the 40 just because of the extra weight that the 45 brings.

Like many of you have said, they are both excellent rounds. One of the thngs for me is the type of weapon you are want to buy.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Any of them will do the job. The main thing, IMO, is to find the gun you like, one that you will carry (it doesn't help you if it's not with you), and one that you will practice enough with to shoot accurately (it's better to be missed by a .45 than hit by a .22).

Smaller guns are easier to conceal, which speaks to the 9 mm, but I carry a full size 1911 concealed regularly so, depending on how big you are (let's just say, I'm not small), that may be less of an issue than some would claim.

Best thing to do is to go to a range that does rentals (Pop Guns in Indianapolis is one choice), or get together with other folk who have a variety of guns (I'm always up to go shooting with someone), and try different things. Find what you like, which fits your hands well, and is not too harsh in terms of recoil, etc., so that you'll practice with it regularly.

Caliber will generally sort itself out at that point.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I carry a full size 1911 in .45, it's my caliber of choice. I also like .357 Sig, but ammo is pricey unless you roll your own.

10mm is one hell of a round, but it's inhumane. I mean really, do you need a mag stocked with ICBMs? :D

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I am a huge fan of .357Sig. I'll agree with JByer it is a little more pricey than some of the other calibers but even that is starting to level out.

9mm is a performer as long as you are not the military and can only fire hardball. With modern hollow points 9's are as effective as both a .40S&W or .45ACP.

Caliber choice is like asking about religion or politics, it is going to be loud and opinionated. Go to a range with a friend and shoot them each and though different pistol makes and styles. Find the one you like.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    every caliber made has had a failure.. there is even a well documented case of a guy surviving a direct hit form a 40mm morter round...
    go with a gun you can carry and shoot well, and can afford to shoot..
    I know several guys that pick 45 .. and now get no trigger time because it is so much more to shoot...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    every caliber made has had a failure.. there is even a well documented case of a guy surviving a direct hit form a 40mm morter round...
    go with a gun you can carry and shoot well, and can afford to shoot..
    I know several guys that pick 45 .. and now get no trigger time because it is so much more to shoot...

You need to get those guys into reloading!! Using cast bullets, they could be shooting for about $6 a box once they've got their brass.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I carry a .40 ...and sometimes a 9mm. My sub compact 9mm is more snappy that my full size .40, so again it depends. The sub compact 9mm feels a lot like an AirWeight shooting .38 SPL +P.

Try as many as you can and get what you like. All are adequate calibers. Post #2 said that 9mm is thinner than the .40, but in most cases both calibers are built on the same frame and have the same size grip.

I reload and it costs me about $10/box of 50 with Winchester 165gr. FMJ Next time I'm going to buy 1000 or 2000 at a time, so it will cost a bit less.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I am wanting to purchase a new handgun. I have a .38 revolver but I am currently looking for a semi-auto. Would you recommend a .40 cal, .45 cal or 9MM?

I read this last night. Decided to answer this morning because I'm pretty sure I'll get flamed a bit.

In comparable barrel lengths, anything .38spl +P on up will be about the same. In other words, you can expect the top load in .38spl +P from a 4" barrel to do about as well as the top loads in .357mag, 9mm, .40S&W, 10mm, .38 Super, and .45acp.

"Stopping power" can be a function of physiology or psychology.

The main thing you want is to make sure that the attacker knows he's hit. This means an aggressively expanding bullet.

You see, we're all programmed by television etc from an early age that when we're shot, we fall down and die. This is why some folks die from otherwise non-fatal wounds to the shoulder etc.

The key is to make sure the attacker knows he's hit. This is what "energy transfer" does in pistol rounds. It will (hopefully) make him freak out and break off the attack, just knowing he's been shot.

Otherwise, you're going to have to go for a CNS hit. This means the spine or the brain. Both are hard to hit - the spine, because it's narrow and deep, and the brain because the head is always moving and presents a hard target. (Good practice for this is a balloon head in place of a cardboard head on an IDPA target, on a windy day).

I saw someplace that the pelvic girdle was mentioned. This is an area of much debate. The 9mm will sometimes break it, the .45acp will more often times break it, but neither is a guarantee.

The best advice, and this comes from those "in the know" as well, would be this: Find a caliber you can shoot accurately and quickly, in that order. Aim for center of mass and squeeze the trigger. Repeat until the threat is neutralized.

Remember, Wild Bill Hickok carried a brace of pistols roughly equivalent in power to the standard pressure .38spl. The Navy Colt was simply not a powerful revolver. However, that man could shoot, and he stayed calm enough to put a bullet through an attacker's heart while the attacker was busy fanning his revolver, or whatever.

Caliber matters much less than training and chance. I believe we make our own luck, so that doesn't factor in for me, personally.

Fight as you're trained, and train to stay calm and place the shots. Find the tool you can do this best with, whether it be a 9mm, .40 or .45.

The 1911 has evolved to the point where it's a natural pointer for most folks, yours truly included. It's also available in any of these calibers; you might have a look at one. Just stay away from the bells and whistles - a single side safety and a beavertail grip safety will do just fine. Do not go for the extended slide release because it can cause premature lock back, and extended mag releases have a habit of allowing the mags to be released too early.

The beavertail grip safeties allow your hand to get close to the bore so the recoil is more of a straight back deal rather than a muzzle flip. This is how folks are able to shoot the 1911 quickly and accurately.

In other words, it's more the platform than the caliber for felt recoil. My Taurus PT92 (Beretta clone) in 9mm feels like it has more recoil than my 1911, due only to muzzle flip.

Josh <><

thirty cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    I prefer the .40 bigger hole and more power than a 9 but better distance accuracy than a .45. I would love a 10mm though. Why settle for half power when you can have it all.

Hey don't rule out .223 the kel-tec PLR is awesome. :ar15:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I honestly think for the average shooter a 9mm is best. Why? Because it's the cheapest and easiest to shoot. Most gun owners do not shoot much at all. They will be more likely to shoot more and therefore be a better shot with a 9mm than any other defensive round. It's about as easy shooting as they get and ammo is cheaper than any other centerfire I know of. More practice is always better than more power, in my book.

Doug K

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    I'm a "snappy" kind of guy I guess. The .40 has my vote... that's what I use.

Shot placement is everything, two to the chest and one to the head is my muscle memory.

Top Bottom