which handgun do you prefer? help me choose!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dpbstevens

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    Akron
    Hello INGO nuts! I am having a tough time deciding between a smith & wesson M&P or a Springfield XD or a walther P99. All would be 9mm and full size. But I can't choose I like them all. need some people who have an opinion on which they prefer. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Got news for you. Chances are no matter what you get, you'll question whether you should have gotten something different.
    Basing your choice on others' opinions is dicey at best. Don't buy until you're certain. Don't buy until you've held each of these guns and preferably shot them.

XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    all 3 are quality. I EDC a .40 xdm...but as others have said, get your hands on them before you make a decision, if you can. In the the end the only opinion that matters is your own!

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    They all feel pretty different in the hand so you will probably like one more than the others and they are all decent guns so choose the one that feels best. Chances are you will end up with one of each by this time next year anyway :D.

I might look into the XDm rather than the XD (if you don't mind paying a bit more) but that would be the only suggestion. I shoot an M&P and my wife shoots an XDm. I will say that I think her pistol is a bit more accurate out of the box, but that difference changes with practice and the issue becomes moot once you get good with whatever you choose. Also the XDm is noticeably heavier than the M&P--after carrying it for an hour or so, I notice the difference. I don't know how heavy the XD is compared to the XDm though so it might be lighter?

Both the M&P and XDm really need trigger jobs but it seems that most stock pistols do?

Good luck with whatever you choose! Will this be your first handgun?

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Like others have said, all three are great handguns with well deserved reputations. I suggest you try to rent them all (or at least hold them in a gun store) and pick whichever one feels best.

BillyB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    :rockwoot:Buy the American made M & P, install an APEX trigger system and you will have a firearm that will serve you well for competition, fun and personal protection.

SyntorX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If you like "made in USA" I'd go with an M&P. I think XDm's are made in Croatia.
    Either way, they are both excellent guns. My friend has an XDM in 45 and it shoots really nice.
    Both guns come with multiple palm-swells to fit most hands which I think is a big plus.
    I'm not much of a Wather fan. M&P and XDM's are more versatile.

mrp010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Granger IN
    9mm XDM 4.5 is an excellent shooter. I have owned 9mm glock and M&P as well and find the XDM to be my favorite and in my hands at least most accurate.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Hello INGO nuts! I am having a tough time deciding between a smith & wesson M&P or a Springfield XD or a walther P99. All would be 9mm and full size. But I can't choose I like them all. need some people who have an opinion on which they prefer. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

That's for you to decide. Personally the walther p99 is on of my all time favorites. My EDC is a p99, plus you can change the back of the grips to fit your hand. But I thinks that is because I prefer a gun wih a decocking feature. Good news is when it is decocked it only needs to be racked 10mm to be in sa mode again, the slides finish is coated the same as glock (i think its called tennifered?) to reduce holster wear But this is just my preference you really need to try out all 3 to see what you like best.

Top Bottom