• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DMNewton69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Well my last thread didn't give me much help, I wanted to know a couple guns that would be good to go look at for a carry handgun, and I know it depends on the shooter and thats why I've gone to the range and tried out a variety of different handguns and colonists I just wanted to know if anybody had an ideas got a couple good handguns I could go look at. Thanks

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    What have you tried out so far that you liked? What have you tried that you didn't like?

To really be able to help, we need someplace to start.

But here are a few of the ones *I* like:

Browning HiPower
    CZ-75B / CZ-85B
    Glock 19

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This is such a personal choice that you probably won't get much of a consensus on what's "best". Go to several gunshops and try them on for size, see what "fits". Something that one person likes may be too small or too large for your hand. Find one that feels right in your hand and that you are comfortable with as far as safety location trigger pull etc. Then come on here and ask the "which caliber is best" question and then stand back and watch the carnage!:laugh:

You don't say where you're located but if in the Indy area there is a shop on 135 at fairview, IIRC they had a pretty big selection of handguns. You just have to get past the cigarette smoke. Of course that's a personal preference!

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    What have you tried out so far that you liked? What have you tried that you didn't like?

To really be able to help, we need someplace to start.

But here are a few of the ones *I* like:

Browning HiPower
    CZ-75B / CZ-85B
    Glock 19
    You were doing real good until you threw the glock in the mix:D

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    You were doing real good until you threw the glock in the mix:D

I know. I included it to throw a bone to the Glock guys. I do like their reliability, just not how they fit in my hand, and that's a purely subjective thing. Glocks have a good enough rep that I felt I would be remiss if I did not give it a mention. I would have mentioned several others, like Sigs and XDs, M&P... as they have good reps too, but I don't have any experience with those.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    In a similar vein, which car should I buy? Seriously, this is about like that. All the cars will get you from where you are to where you want to go, and all the pistols will put holes in the bad guy, but you have to find the one that's for you. You can't hope to get a definitive answer, maybe some advice, but there are so many factors that without some deep interaction, nobody is going to be able to help you very much.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    It really depends what you want, you CANT have everything.

Do you want capacity, stopping power, easy concealment?

I have a taurus pt24/7 in 9mm when im not too worried about concealment.

and a S&W Bodyguard 38 for easy concealment.

The Taurus has great capacity, and decent stopping power, but is a pain to conceal. The Smith has good stopping power, and great concealment, but only holds 5 rounds.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    :) Actually, some of us can have everything; I have a 12+1 doublestack compact .45 that disappears on me, with a couple of 14 round mags to follow.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    :) Actually, some of us can have everything; I have a 12+1 doublestack compact .45 that disappears on me, with a couple of 14 round mags to follow.

Arent you just special....:cool:

Apparently I wasnt built to conceal a larger framed gun...
    The only one who has ever said anything about the 9 being visible, is SWMBO...but she already knows its there.

But a .38 disappears nicely into my pocket, she cant even tell its there.

Makes sure you get a good holster too...it does make a world of difference, i started with an uncle mikes iwb, and switched to a crossbreed supertuck...its literally a night and day difference

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Hey, whaddya know, it's in a Crossbreed minituck. Yeah, they've always told me I was "special" but I didn't know what that meant until I'd grown up. I always wondered why the other kids got to ride such big buses.

DestructionDan

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    IN KY
    Whats your price range That's a good start
    Do you want new or used yet another good place to start.

I carry a Glock 19 on my side and a Kel-Tec Sub2K in my ride.
    Don't really care who likes my gun, all that matters is I like it and can use it well.
    I started with a AMT 9-Backup then a Ruger P89-DC
    I keep 9x19 because everyone in the family can and will shoot it, if it ever comes to that!

Just like I did, everyone here will tell you what they carry or like.
    All I have to say is stay away from the Kel-Tec line of pistols.
    Beat the hell out of my knuckle when shooting. But you might like it.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    At this time, a few of my favorites are a Kimber Ultra Carry ll, a Sig 239, an S&W 3913, and a GLOCK 27.

I carried a Kahr MK9 exclusively for several years. Good gun, but I just tired of it and found I shot larger guns a bit more accurately....

Good Luck!

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My personal favorite is a Springfield 1911 Government, carried in a Galco kingtuk IWB holster. There are more than a few people that this setup just wont work for. I find the Officers model to carry a bit easier, and most people will find it a bit more agreeable.

For those times when a full size pistol is just not freezable, I find a S&W 442, or my LCP fits the bill pretty good.

And finally, the Glock 26. No, I am not a fanboy, but the pistol is dead reliable, accurate, and fairly light. I carry it when I know I will be sweaty, and dont want to get rust on my 1911s.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Tough question. All anyone can do is to tell you what works for them. Problem is, none of us are the OP and what works for us might not work for him. The best we can do is to tell what we like and why or tell what we tried, but did not like and why.

My likes:
    Kimber Compact Stainless 1911 - It's easy to carry, accurate and reliable. The grip angle fits me and I can shoot this gun very well. Carried in a Kramer Scabbard, it goes all day without being noticed. It looks good and presents well.

CZ 75 Compact - Carried in a Tagua Ruger SR9C holster (until I can order another Kramer holster for it). Most comfortable gun I've held or shot. Easy to accurate follow up shots very quickly. 16+1 capacity.

Sig P238 - Accurate and reliable. Fits into a pocket and can go just about anywhere. Fun to shoot, so it gets shot a lot.

Things I didn't like:

PK380 - Nice gun and a very soft shooter but I was pretty large for a .380. I also did not like the need of a tool to take it down for cleaning.

I've had others that have neither risen to favorite status nor fall to being disliked. The ones listed are just the ones I have experience with and what I thought of them.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I searched and researched for a few months before I purchased my EDC. Its my first handgun so I wanted reliable and value BUT paramount was safety. I have children whom Id like to see shoot and become familiar. I looked at Diamond Back 9mm and some simliar pocket guns and my thought was it was too small to be taken seriously. The Glocks were right size wise and weight except their lack of safetys, I just didnt feel comfortable with them. Almost settled for the M+P 40 but got the XDM 40 compact 3.8. It has several indicators to let you know if theres one in the pipe, if its ready to fire, back strap and trigger safetys. I carry it in a blackhawk bag that slides onto your belt and zips up. Have to use the smaller mag too when carrying in the bag.

Printing...? Yeah, cuz its a heavy gun. Got the galco king tut last night to appease momma who isnt a fan of me openly carrying with the XDs included paddle holster which is choice.

To do it over I might consider the M+P 9. IIRC it was smaller and lighter. And the XD kicks pretty hard, which was anticipated but if you wish to re-acquisition quickly would suggest a laser. Khar 9 was also a runner up, but a 40s punch is hard to pass up.

The 40 with the short

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Is this a first gun?

If you are considering a revolver, I would recommend Ruger's SP101 in .357 mag. You can shoot .38's thru it for practice, but carry a heavier .357 mag round for personal protection.

If you are considering a semi-auto, I would recommend a Glock 19 (9mm) or 23 (.40). They offer 3 frame sizes to choose from and you would have to select the one that best fits your grip. If you know of anyone who has one that you can shoot...do that first!

In the stryker-fired, polymer gun world, they are the original and still the best!

Personal defense handgun...is all a personal choice! Whichever you chose (gun, model, caliber, etc.) it's all about what YOU are comfortable with...and don't let anyone tell you differently! Not all pistol frames fit everyone's hands...find the one that fits YOUR hand and shoot it like crazy!

Read, study, discuss, etc...everything you can about various calibers, manufacture's, pistols, etc...your EDC will probably change over the years as you develop and gain experience!

Me, my main EDC gun has always been a 2.25" Ruger SP101 in .357 mag (see avatar) however, I have recently been training with a Glock 23 in .40...which I picked up for a nice price! I've had several other pistols...but have always come back to the SP101! With a Hogue rubber grip, it's just comfortable for me!

Good luck!

Last edited:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    i like glocks ...I own 3 right now and plan to get one more....i do like small 380 with a safety like the ruger lcp, bodyguard, and taurus tcp...i have a walther ppk on my short list for pocket carry...I DO NOT recommend a Glock for pocket carry unless you Israeli carry (without one in the chamber) which does put you at a tactical disadvantage....I plan to get a Glock 19 to replace the one i traded for a shotgun but after that i will be buying some 22 pistols are rifles and a ppk...then a suppressor ....then a long range scoped rifle in 308...then another ar .....once you start you just cant stop but you just have to get what suits you and what you have confidence in

Top Bottom