• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • farmerfrey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    INGO Nation,
    I'm getting started reloading brass and shotgun shells and have a question about which HULLS to purchase. I've read that Winchester AA has a unibody hull that will reload 4-5+ times whereas most other hulls have plastic or paper double-bodied designs. Is the press about a unibody hull true? Are there any other unibody shells out there besides Winchester AA?
    Do hulls need to be cleaned like brass cases or are they OK as-is?
    Are there any places I can get powder and shot in-person, where I can talk with someone about all the options and combinations?

Thanks, I'm new to blogs/threads/whatever this is so please be nice if I've done something uncouth or square in the web-forum-world.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    INGO Nation,
    I'm getting started reloading brass and shotgun shells and have a question about which HULLS to purchase. I've read that Winchester AA has a unibody hull that will reload 4-5+ times whereas most other hulls have plastic or paper double-bodied designs. Is the press about a unibody hull true? Are there any other unibody shells out there besides Winchester AA?
    Do hulls need to be cleaned like brass cases or are they OK as-is?
    Are there any places I can get powder and shot in-person, where I can talk with someone about all the options and combinations?

Thanks, I'm new to blogs/threads/whatever this is so please be nice if I've done something uncouth or square in the web-forum-world.

I can't answer hull questions, but as for where to go:

Indiana Gun Club :: Indianapolis IN, Guns

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    AA and Remington STS Premiers. No need to clean. You will get many reloads and a lot of fun!

Don't buy hulls. Buy loaded ammo and save the hulls. You can get AA and Remington's just about everywhere.

Indiana gun club is the go to place for shot shell reloading. I have been reloading shotgun shells for years. Feel free to PM or email me with any questions.

David Jones

Last edited by a moderator:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I really miss the old Winchester AA hulls, they were top shelf. The AA shells were redesigned several years ago. They are now multi piece hulls and do not hold up like the old ones. I throw them away, having had too many problems with them. The Remingtons, (Nitros, STS, Gunclubs and even the black discount hulls) are one piece and load fine. I usually reload them until they crack at the crimp petals, and that is probably 7-8 times. The Federals, (Gold Medal and top guns load good, but still have the old fashioned base wad. I have never had one come loose, but if it would, the results would hurt your gun or you. With a break open, it is easy to glance down the bore to check for obstructions between shots, with a semi auto or a pump, it is not so easy, so I reload them one or two times and then pitch them.

Be sure to use a wad that is matched to the hull in reliable loading data. A mis matched wad can cause problems. I never clean hulls, if they have debris in them, or are corroded on the base, I just throw them away.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I've had the best luck with Remington Gun Club hulls. One-piece and they hold up well on multiple reloads. Also, they are plentiful and not too expensive to replace if you can find them on sale (as loaded shotshells). Dick's puts them on for $4.98/box periodically, and I usually buy a couple of flats to replace the well used hulls. I use a MEC Sizemaster press, and the collet resizer works well on the steel head of the Gun Clubs.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I second the Remington Gun Clubs.
    Bought mine as loaded ammo on sale and/or with rebate offer. Mine have been reloaded 3-4 times and still not a hint of damage and no problems. Whatever brand you choose, stick with it so you can accumulate lots of empty hulls. I use an old single stage that re-sizes the base. Most important: use a wad designed for your load and follow the manual. Shot shells are not like pistol and rifle reloads. A small difference in components can change pressures greatly. Lots of load info available on the powder manufacturer's websites.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    It can also depend on your press setup.
    I have a hornady that loves rem gun clubs, hates federals and is picky with winchesters.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    It would help to know your general location in order to recommend a "local" shop. I recommend Remington Gun Clubs. I can pick up tons of these at local Trap Ranges. I've lost count on how many times I've reload the same shells. Also Remington Field shells (black hulls). For loads I use Remington STS data. If you are in the Indianapolis area let me know and I can give you a bag of hulls to get you started.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    AA and STS Hulls

Can only comment from my experience. I have AA hulls that are 20 years old and still reloadable. The life of the hull will depend on the loads you are using. 8 crimp hulls tend to last longer.

FordBronco

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Hartsville
    farmerfrey - Where are you located at? I have some once fired Winchester AA shells that I purchased new and shot, thinking I would reload them someday. Someday is still not here, but I should pass the shells along to someone whom will "recycle them".

I am between Columbus and Greensburg... let me know.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    What are once fired AA hulls worth?..I have quite a few once fired hulls "from Back In the Day"

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    1 cent, maybe 2 cents.
    That's what I useually see guys selling them for.
    Must be the lazy folks that buy them. You can pick them up off the ground for free.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Don't ever buy hulls... buy and shoot... or go to a shotgun range and pick them up. Most places have a hard time just getting rid of hulls. They have no recycling value unlike brass so unless somebody is reloading its hard to get rid of them.

As far as what your option are it depends what you want to do. Trap/skeet loads? Hunting loads? What do you plan to hunt? It all makes a difference.

I used to shoot trap competitively and load my own ammo. I have thousands of the old AA hulls and they are good, but I haven't had many problems with the newer AA hulls either.

I also load my own hunting loads (upland birds and rabbits).

flnt38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    second the remingtons. I had great luck with the green sts hulls when I was shooting trap.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    It seems that a flat of 12 gauge is about same price of reloading. A bag of 8 shot is high, about 35-45.00 for 25#. I have the componets but can not reload for the price of a flat.

Top Bottom