• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Building an AR or buying it already all together? I was talking to someone at Applied Ballistics and he said it was cheaper to build your own AR. If you were to build, what would it be, an AR15 or AR10?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    You might save a little by building, but not much. The benifit of building is mainly having your gun the way you want it, not the way a factory sends it. It allows you to build over time (in theory, in reality you buy 1 spring and you will buy the rest within a couple weeks).

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You might save a little by building, but not much. The benifit of building is mainly having your gun the way you want it, not the way a factory sends it. It allows you to build over time (in theory, in reality you buy 1 spring and you will buy the rest within a couple weeks).

This. I saved about $300 building my own. I jumped on great deals, passed on all others and built it last Summer. It was supposed to be a Winter project but the deals came in faster than I anticipated so I put it together and had it sold before Winter!:)

I had it nice....just the way I wanted it. Nothing like it from a factory. I may build one again depending on what happens to the market.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    The thing about building one is that it depends on what you want it to do. If you just want a cheap AR to plunk with then you will more or less just hunt for the cheapest stuff you can find and put it together.

If you want some thing that is accurate and to fill a niche you are going to spend a lot more. The one I am building at this time will cost around $2000.

I have built the lower. It has cost $300 so far and I don't have the stock or pistol grip that I want yet. They will cost around $200.

The barrel is just under $300. It is a 6mm x 45, 24" long and middle weight 1 in 9 twist.

The upper Is a Grizzly, the side cocker. That is $300 more.

Then the piston system is $300.

Add iron sights to that for $200 and $100 more for a bi-pod. $100 for odds and ends.

Then if the trigger don't work out, to replace it will cost another $200.

It all just depends on what you want it to do. I am building for shooting a 6mm 100gr bullet out to 300 yards and still have enough power to take down a deer.

You can buy a working upper for $450 new in 223. The lower you can buy for $300 with stock and pistol grip. That is $750.

You can buy an AR for $700. The thing about building one is you get to put the money on what you want.

The crazy prices are not as bad as they were but still you are going to pay more now than you will in a couple of months down the road. If the ban passes then it is an other story. The feeling now is that there isn't a way to get it passed. Some have said that if he can't get it passed he will issue an order to get it dun. Who knows. It is also said that the courts will over turn an order.

If it was me and I was wanting to get an AR before there was a problem I would at least get my hands on a lower. That is the part that the feds control.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Last edited:

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    My two cents is thus. Neither is cheaper or more expensive. You will save a heck of a lot of time and shipping fees buying a complete AR. Those would make up for the perceived savings of building your own. I am in the middle of my first build and will say if you have patience, building is more fun, getting parts one at a time, it's like Christmas every 30 days. Buy complete if you are in a hurry or don't have the patience to wait for good prices. Build your own if you want to know every pin and part.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My two cents is thus. Neither is cheaper or more expensive. You will save a heck of a lot of time and shipping fees buying a complete AR. Those would make up for the perceived savings of building your own. I am in the middle of my first build and will say if you have patience, building is more fun, getting parts one at a time, it's like Christmas every 30 days. Buy complete if you are in a hurry or don't have the patience to wait for good prices. Build your own if you want to know every pin and part.

I agree with this. It is fun to come home from work and have a package waiting for you!

If you don't include the shipping fees in your cost of building an AR you are just being deceitful to others and lying to yourself.:D

The price to build an AR is the price to build an AR. Parts, shipping, tools.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I really don't think you save any money. I bought 2 ARs last summer; Sig M400 Enhanced and a Troy. It would have cost me more money to build them than it did completed on a store shelf. Plus they're backed by the manufacturer, and will have a better resale than a home build.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I really don't think you save any money. I bought 2 ARs last summer; Sig M400 Enhanced and a Troy. It would have cost me more money to build them than it did completed on a store shelf. Plus they're backed by the manufacturer, and will have a better resale than a home build.

I agree with Traderator on this one...well said.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I would agree that most can't/won't save money because they are either impatient or won't put in the effort to search for the deals...or both.

The same logic applies to bicycles and like building my AR, I saved money building a bicycle.

You need to be diligent in finding the deals and you have to be accurate in your accounting. Sure I could have bought a rifle for less than what I spent building mine, but it would not have had the same features and quality of parts. On top of that if you consider that many owners will change parts out, now you have an additional expense of the replacement parts. And selling your OE parts won't offset the investment in the new parts.

Of course if you count your time, then this all goes out the window and you are way ahead to buy a complete rifle!:)

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Your right! I decided last summer I wanted to build a .308 AR style rifle. So I brought home a Stripped lower and lower kit home from the GS. At the time I told the better half, "probably take me a few months to finish this, going to buy a little at a time". She actually laughed at me and said YEAH, I'll bet.

(Did take about 3 1/2 weeks)

trex75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    I'm in the same boat and I decided to build my own. I think it will be more rewarding and fun.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home

Agreed. The other thing most don't consider is accuracy and dependability. If you're like me you're not a gun smith, and you don't manufacturer fire arms for a living either. When you buy a purpose built AR from a reputable company, you're getting the company backing as well as a finely tuned rifle. (Yes you can 'tune' a rifle.) When you build it yourself with parts from here and there you're tolerances will be larger and your margin for error will be greater as well. I love tinkering, and swapping out a collapsable stock and some rail guards isn't going to affect the way my gun internally functions, but why would I put a random bolt carrier in a random upper when I could buy a pair that was designed and built as a pair?

Top Bottom