• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I need to get a bullet puller( I over crimped and messed up 2 cases) and I'm not sure which is better a cam lock for the press or a impact type. I bulged 2 .375 rounds and would like to get the bullets out which puller would work best for this?

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    Impact type- I've got one from RCBS that looks like a green hammer, and it works very well. I've heard that the collet-type leaves marks/gouges on the bullet and that doesn't appeal to me.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I use the impact style
    The collet type will leave marks on the side of a bullet, but a impact type can flatten the tip of your bullet. Some people put a piece of foam or cotton in the end of the puller to prevent this.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I love my cam lock bullet puller! I used to use the impact hammer type until I got sick of having a few damaged cases and bullets.

I use the RCBS cam lock model and couldn't be happier with it. Sure it's a few dollars more expensive, but you can get it on Midway for just a couple dollars more than the impact. I've had 0 damaged bullets and cases since I've started using it.

I don't like to be the only person who votes for it, but I'm much happier with the cam lock since I got it.

If you're only doing a case here and there, impact would probably benefit you the most since there is no time for setting up like the cam lock, but I completely messed up 39 reloads when I bought my cam lock puller, so I wanted something that was quick and easy.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    For two rounds I use an impact puller.

At some point a cam lock (different from a collet) makes more sense due to speed. Also inertia pullers will often crush the nose of the hollow ended rifle bullets, AMax Scenar etc.

ekg98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    RCBS collet puller. I love the thing. Yes it puts some small marks on the bullet. However they are very small and do not bother me. Much better method. I do not worry about detonating primers with the collet puller. The power stays nicely inside the case. The bullet can then be reseated to correct depth. This method is faster than a hammer too. Just run up the press with the cartridge in the holder and tighten the puller down. Extract the bullet on the down stroke. Then loosen the collet puller and the bullet should fall out.

Smacking a cartridge with a live primer around inside of a hammer did not appeal to me.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I've used both

I like the hornady cam over collet style for more than a couple of bullets. Its one stroke, not 10 strikes on a concrete surface. And the bullets come out looking pretty much like they went in. Just remember to set it to the lightest tension that will get the bullet out and it puts very light marks on the bullet. Definitely re-useable. And the powder stays put. That is the part that I really like. :yesway:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I like the hornady cam over collet style for more than a couple of bullets. Its one stroke, not 10 strikes on a concrete surface. And the bullets come out looking pretty much like they went in. Just remember to set it to the lightest tension that will get the bullet out and it puts very light marks on the bullet. Definitely re-useable. And the powder stays put. That is the part that I really like. :yesway:

Another vote for the Hornady collet style. The sometimes slight marks on the bullet have never hurt anything. You'd be surprised thru the years how many times I have been given "questionable" loads and told to scrap them, or do whatever with them I want. The difference in price pays for itself very quickly from the saved components I save. It pulls as fast as a simple resizing step.

hunter_47443

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Greene Co.
    I love my cam lock bullet puller! I used to use the impact hammer type until I got sick of having a few damaged cases and bullets.

I use the RCBS cam lock model and couldn't be happier with it. Sure it's a few dollars more expensive, but you can get it on Midway for just a couple dollars more than the impact. I've had 0 damaged bullets and cases since I've started using it.

I don't like to be the only person who votes for it, but I'm much happier with the cam lock since I got it.

If you're only doing a case here and there, impact would probably benefit you the most since there is no time for setting up like the cam lock, but I completely messed up 39 reloads when I bought my cam lock puller, so I wanted something that was quick and easy.

+1 My vote too!

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Impact type- I've got one from RCBS that looks like a green hammer, and it works very well.

+1

A decade ago when I bought the thing I was afraid I would break it after only a few uses. I was wrong; the RCBS bullet puller has held up well.

workinman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    NWI
    i have both. the hornady cam collet puller and a kinetic puller. the collet puller is great for several cases at once of the same caliber; but the kinetic puller is best for a couple at a time and self adjusts to almost any caliber.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    OP, I am really curious how you could load two cases of rifle ammo, however much that is, without detecting that you were over crimping them and deforming the cases.

You may be an advertisement for the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Hopefully you start inspecting each round as it comes out of the press from now on?.....

I think you should be forced to use an inertia puller as a form of pennance.

Top Bottom