• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I have to throw in another vote for the 1911. Any of them would work, but here is my quick thoughts on the options:

The Blackhawk probably requires the most practice in order to build a basic level of high-speed efficiency, given the weak-hand cocking motion. Add in the slower pace for reloads and it seems hard to recommend the Blackhawk without a second gun close at hand.

The Rossi 5-shot is likely a step up from the Blackhawk with the right low-flash loads, simply because it has DA capability and you can reload faster w/ speed strips or a speed loader.

A potential step up from the Rossi is the XD9, but the smaller size vs the 1911 typically means more difficulty maintaining control during rapid-fire strings.

Which leaves us with the venerable 1911. As long as it has been totally reliable, it looks to present the best combination of natural accuracy, control, and ease of use.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'm partial to 1911s, so that would be my choice in the absence of one of them carrying night sights. I practice enough with it and it points naturally enough for me that I could get by with seeing the sights at reasonably close range. If you haven't ever tried to pick up a pistol in the middle of the nightly and acquire the sights, you ought to give it a try. I'd still put 2 flashlights next to the 1911 on the nightstand, though.
    FTFY

I'd use the xd. Having the laser wouldn't hurt you any. And you have more avail rds.:yesway:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Have you ever tried point shooting those handguns? As long as they are all dependable, you want the one best suited to you.

If you are awakened in the night you want the firearm that points most naturally for you. Night sights, lasers, etc are great if you have time and mental facilities within one second of opening your eyes. Myself, even if I slip my glasses on, it takes a couple minutes before I can really see anything. But my Beretta points so natuarally for me, I can generally hit where I want.

Generally you point shoot best whatever you shoot most often. When I shot LOTS of bullseye matches with a revolver, my natural point shooting was better on a revolver than any semi auto, large or small, including the 1911. When I started shooting action pistol/ipsc/idpa I used 1911 chassis handguns. They became my natural shooters.

Go out to the range an put a full size silhouette at about 25 feet. If need be, put electician's tape over the front and back sight, raise the pistol rapidly looking only at the target, not the handgun. Point to center of mass discharging the handgun 6 times rapidly. Repeat with each firearm. (It is kind of a fun drill) One of them will be noticably better centered and tighter than the others. That one will be your best choice for a night stand firearm.

Good Luck

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Whichever one you shoot the best.

:+1:

All of them.

Nothing wrong with an 870 next to your bed

Thanks for your answers so far, let's try to stick to
    the list of 4 in the op.

Thanks Jimmy

Buzzkill :):

Springfield XD9SC

S&W .40 would be a better choice, though...IMO.

Oh man, a .40 guy... :):

My vote is for the XD, unless you're more comfortable with another one. Pick it up, pull the trigger, it goes boom.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    The 1911 and invest in a good flashlight to use with it. Then train using a flashlight and gun at same time. Seems like a simple thing but there are many different ways to hold the two...some will work for you and others won't....you don't want to find out the hard way at 2am that one way doesn't work for you.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'd go with whichever one has a rail. Put a light on it and have night sights installed. The night sights let you see and grab the gun without feeling around for it and the light mounted on the rail lets you see what you are about to shoot. In a moment when you are jarred awake by a sound in the night, you don't want to reach for the gun and accidentally knock it behind the nightstand. The night sights will show you exactly where the gun is on teh nightstand, letting you grab it correctly on your first attempt. They also let you put sights on the target in the dark, so when you light the target up with the rail mounted light, you can them lite 'em up with a gentle squeeze of the trigger.

If no lights or night sights are likely to happen, then I'd go with the 1911. There is less of a chance of a ND while fumbling for the gun and the 45 acp will go through fewer walls than the 9mm will.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    XD9 with a light....that's the logical choice for a nightstand gun. If you have a 20 ga with a light, that would even be better....jmho

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Tough call.

1911 is a time tested design

XD9 is a great gun

it's not just the gun that goes in the night stand but spare loaded mags.

I'm gonna go with xd9 if it's me making the decision.

Top Bottom