Which of these discs would you use for stripping a deck of its paint/stain?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunsCarsPlanes

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2021
    NWI
    I've always owned but never a house with a deck, previous owner got dementia and his wife did the best she could but the deck needs to be sanded/refinished in a bad sort of way. In addition to the drum sander I intend to rent and the hand orbital sander I already own I need something for the medium grade removal. I've got it narrowed down but I was wondering if anyone with experience could lend some advice and guidance.

Diamabrush - this seems to be THE goto for stripping a deck. Expensive but should last for 2,000 sq ft which is more than enough considering this won't be the only tool I use

Strip disc - I just stumbled upon these and they say they are specifically for stripping wood

Or is there something else out there?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Don't overthink it. (We all do) test a spot with normal (inexpensive) pad. See if it works. The pressure sprayer should be good to go on decks I have done before. Not going to get in the cracks very easy with a sander.

Check for any rot on the top boards also. Normally there is no rot. If there is then maybe a tear off of the deck boards might be the plan. I bet you have done this already.

If you want the deck with no hassle if the future then the new deck boards which are half wood and plastic last in the sun for about a generation with nothing more than a simple spray of the hose a few times a year. Decks which have been left inprotected even if you do your best job sanding and re-staining seem to need a refresher every year if in full sun. Even worse if under walnut trees or pine trees.

GunsCarsPlanes

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2021
    NWI
    Don't overthink it. (We all do) test a spot with normal (inexpensive) pad. See if it works. The pressure sprayer should be good to go on decks I have done before. Not going to get in the cracks very easy with a sander.

Check for any rot on the top boards also. Normally there is no rot. If there is then maybe a tear off of the deck boards might be the plan. I bet you have done this already.

If you want the deck with no hassle if the future then the new deck boards which are half wood and plastic last in the sun for about a generation with nothing more than a simple spray of the hose a few times a year. Decks which have been left inprotected even if you do your best job sanding and re-staining seem to need a refresher every year if in full sun. Even worse if under walnut trees or pine trees.
    I often overthink everything, in the end the result is typically better than expected. Almost everything is new to me, I've always owned but it was a condo and I never had a yard or needed to turn a wrench. I like to think I figure things out pretty fast.

The boards are good, I sanded a few spots here and there and once I get the paint off the wood looks new. The bottom of the boards look new. The deck is too nice to tear down but not brand new... kinda stuck inbetween so I want to see how much it can be restored and life extended.

When the deck gets removed I have a few ideas, my neighbors have some nice backyards which lend ideas. Thanks tho I'm going to just get the discs and try it out.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    We tore down all our decks and went to cement patio. The deck at the front door had to stay due to the house design. Went to composite on that and a 3x8 mini deck/stairs to the patio off the back door. Definitely composite is the way to go if you have a deck.

GunsCarsPlanes

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2021
    NWI
    that's what I came in here to say. We switched to Composite decking in 2011.
    I like the comp boards but I want to change the deck style itself. We have the regular 2 feet off the ground style with a handrail all the way around and I like the kind that is level with the ground only like 1 or 2 small steps high with no handrail. I'm sure anything would look nice if designed properly though.

Right now isn't exactly a good time to buy lumber or those comp boards anyhow

We tore down all our decks and went to cement patio.
    Under our deck is a concrete step going from the sliding door to ground level....along with a concrete pad that is 80% the size of the deck above it. Weird because I thought the deck was there from day 1.

The concrete is settled a tiny bit in the middle.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Power washer is way better then sanding/scraping, you just have to be careful to not start/stop on the wood. Also highly recommend using a paint sprayer when staining the deck, you can use a bush to help with the overspray. Make sure you use a shield off the house so your not getting paint/stain on the house.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I rolled on the deck coating from Pittsburgh Paint. Looked great for two years then started peeling. Now I'm just going to get out the saw and pry bar and do composite.

Top Bottom