• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    I'm gonna soon be in the market for my first handgun, and am having trouble figuring out what to get first.

I know I want a 9mm so I can:
    1. Shoot a lot without taking out a second mortgage
    2. Carry without feeling "under calibered"
    3. Lower recoil

Ok...I also want an all steel gun for my first one. The ones I've been looking at are:
    1. CZ75B
    2. S&W 5906
    3. Kahr MK9

I'm 6'7" and slim pickens with pretty big hands. I've held (but not shot) an MK9 and it doesn't feel too small, but the other two definitely feel better in the hand, but would be harder to conceal.

So what should I get first, and why? Thanks!

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Out of the three you listed I would definitely pick the CZ. I have big hands too. The first time I picked one up it felt great. I will have one someday....only with a decocker of course ;)

sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Yeah the only thing I didn't like about the 5906 was the 'tricky' levers when reassembling after field strip. They are quite a bit cheaper though!

sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    As far as budget, I'd definitely like to keep it around $500...but who doesn't like to save a few bucks? And I know I'd have to find the Kahr used for that kind of money.

sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Thanks jd, my neighbor initially recommended CZ to me, I didn't even know they existed. Everything I've read has been good though.

Anybody have a CZ and care to sing it's praises? Or shortcomings? Wonder how they carry?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I'm gonna soon be in the market for my first handgun, and am having trouble figuring out what to get first.

I know I want a 9mm so I can:
    1. Shoot a lot without taking out a second mortgage
    2. Carry without feeling "under calibered"
    3. Lower recoil

Ok...I also want an all steel gun for my first one. The ones I've been looking at are:
    1. CZ75B
    2. S&W 5906
    3. Kahr MK9

I'm 6'7" and slim pickens with pretty big hands. I've held (but not shot) an MK9 and it doesn't feel too small, but the other two definitely feel better in the hand, but would be harder to conceal.

So what should I get first, and why? Thanks!

From your list I would also go with the CZ, I've held a few and they do feel great! Good luck!

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Thanks jd, my neighbor initially recommended CZ to me, I didn't even know they existed. Everything I've read has been good though.

Anybody have a CZ and care to sing it's praises? Or shortcomings? Wonder how they carry?

Again, I don't have one but lots of Europe will tell you they are great to carry.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Compact model.

CZ 75 COMPACT cal. 9 mm Luger, black polycoat, 15 Rd Mags - Impact Guns

13656.jpg

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have had CZs for years. Long before the American Public discovered them. Pistols, and long guns both. I can't say a single bad thing about any that I have ever had. Ergonomically their pistols just feel great. I have never had any feeding problems of any kind. In fact, I don't recall any jam at all. My CZ 75s have always been very accurate, and as a real plus you can carry cocked & locked like a Browning HP, or a 1911, and you also have DA available if you prefer. They are heavier than the current tupperware models out there, but I like them that way. They are carried in a holster anyway, so weight isn't a concern to me.

Prices on CZs have gone up in the past few years. They used to be GREAT bargains, but you still can't go wrong with one.

Best Wishes,
    Tom

sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Does anyone know of any shops in southern Indiana that carry CZ? I can find a 5906 if I decide to go that way, but sure would like to check out some CZs!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Check out Orion in Clarksville, Acme in Seymour, Bite the Bullet is a site supporter on here you may PM him Ive herd he keeps a number of handguns in stock and hes a real nice guy to talk with

Top Bottom