• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Coming from UT and having a UT CF permit I am a bit confused as to which permit I should be persuing here.

Can someone point me to a thread or give me a word up on which type I should be looking at?

I am looking for the "best" one I can have.

Thanks!

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Coming from UT and having a UT CF permit I am a bit confused as to which permit I should be persuing here.

Can someone point me to a thread or give me a word up on which type I should be looking at?

I am looking for the "best" one I can have.

Thanks!

Welcome.
    I assume you have moved here so get the lifetime unlimited permit.
    Again, welcome

Right. If you've moved here, you need to have the Indiana LTCH in order to carry here. Then if you want to get lots of reciprocity, the best options are the non-resident permits from Utah or Florida. You may find it easier to get the Utah one since you just moved from there, but I'm not sure if they'll give you any breaks or anything like that.

ETA — If you're looking for reciprocity, it might not be a bad idea to see how the reciprocity bill in the US Congress plays out before spending money on it. I don't think there's a huge chance it will pass the Dem-controlled Senate or Obama, but who knows?

Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    My confusion was that there appears to be a carry permit, and a another for defense? Maybe I am confused without need.

Is there only 1 lifetime carry?

(also my UT is still valid, and I would be keeping both)

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    My confusion was that there appears to be a carry permit, and a another for defense? Maybe I am confused without need.

Is there only 1 lifetime carry?

(also my UT is still valid, and I would be keeping both)

Ah, okay. It is generally advised to get the Lifetime Personal Protection license. However, if you are planning on moving out of state some time, you might be better to get the 4-year and just renew it when necessary; the price breaks even after 3 renewals (12 years), I think.

If you want to start the application process online, here's the link:
    Application for Handgun License

And here's a screenshot of the lifetime personal protection you'd want if you're gonna be here a while:
    nzA2uU

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    One more note on getting lifetime versus 4-year...

If you get the lifetime license and move out of state, you just call the State Police and let them know you're moving out of state. They will "de-activate" your license, so you won't be able to carry on that license in Indiana at that point. (Some other states may still recognize it, but some states stipulate you have to be a resident of the state whose permit you possess. Safe bet: I wouldn't recommend using the IN LTCH after it is deactivated without careful research first.)

If you ever in your lifetime move back to Indiana, all you have to do is call the State Police again and tell them, and they'll "reactivate" your license, and you'll be good to go right away.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Indiana has two different licenses available in two different expirations; Limited and Unlimited, 4-year and lifetime. The Limited is also called the "target and hunting" license, which allows you to carry when you're hunting or going to the firing range. The Unlimited is also called the "Personal Protection" license. Because Indiana's carry laws changed on July 1, the Limited has even less relevance than it used to. It's almost always better to get the Unlimited as the cost difference is negligible and allows you to carry (almost) anywhere, and it's almost always better to get the lifetime, even if you plan to move back out of state soon. If you move out of state, the lifetime license can be "deactivated" while you're gone and reactivated if you ever move back into the state without undergoing the licensing process again.

ETA: Looks like mk2ja just beat me to it.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    One more note on getting lifetime versus 4-year...

If you get the lifetime license and move out of state, you just call the State Police and let them know you're moving out of state. They will "de-activate" your license, so you won't be able to carry on that license in Indiana at that point. (Some other states may still recognize it, but some states stipulate you have to be a resident of the state whose permit you possess. Safe bet: I wouldn't recommend using the IN LTCH after it is deactivated without careful research first.)

If you ever in your lifetime move back to Indiana, all you have to do is call the State Police again and tell them, and they'll "reactivate" your license, and you'll be good to go right away.
    Just curious, why would you deactivate it? I highly doubt they would check if you were a citizen or not. I mean, Indiana wouldn't. I'm sure Leo's from other states would. But he has his UT permit, so it shouldn't matter right?

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Just curious, why would you deactivate it? I highly doubt they would check if you were a citizen or not. I mean, Indiana wouldn't. I'm sure Leo's from other states would. But he has his UT permit, so it shouldn't matter right?

It says on the license that you are required by law to notify ISP of address changes within 60 days. And if you don't have a new Indiana address to provide, you'll have to give the non-Indiana address, so they'll deactivate it for you until you get an Indiana residence again.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    It says on the license that you are required by law to notify ISP of address changes within 60 days. And if you don't have a new Indiana address to provide, you'll have to give the non-Indiana address, so they'll deactivate it for you until you get an Indiana residence again.

Thanks for the quick reply. Seems obvious now. +1

Top Bottom