Which powder to use with Dillon 550 for pistol caliber reloads?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I am new to reloading and interested in starting 9mm reloads with a Dillon RL 550C. However, I don't know what primers and powder to buy. The salesman in the gun shop wants to sell me a reloading book. Is this the standard way to learn how to do this, or is there a reliable online resource for finding those specifications?

I invite you to my shop and we can go over the whole handloading shebang in about 90 minutes Hands ON.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    For 9mm there are LOTs of powders that you CAN use, just some have properties that make them more desired for either loading or shooting. For instance, titegroup and HP38 looks like very small balls and therefore flow through metering systems like water and you get very consistent loads. Others are flat flakes (Unique and RedDot), and they meter fine, but some think they leave more carbon and "crud" behind in the gun. Many Rifle powders are chunks of small sticks like pencil lead. I haven't seen these in pistol powders though (not that I've seen them all).
    As for myself, I've used about equal amounts of HP38 (which is the same thing as Winchester 231) and TiteGroup. One thing I have found is that the 9mm HP38 loads with heavy bullets (eg 147 gn) have so little recoil, they don't cycle my guns reliably. I've moved back to TiteGroup for those.

I learned the most by working with another experienced loader to see and feel the process. I then read a number of books. Think of them as text books for school. I don't know if any publisher has them in eBook format so you may be "stuck" with hardcopy. One huge advantage though, is you can keep the book open on your bench to help avoid missing any steps. If you can't connect with Trapper Jim due to location, I'd suggest contacting Bobcat Armament and seeing if they can work with you at their shop. I've no connection with them other than seeing them around the forum and noting that they sell Dillon equipment, reloading components, and their own reloaded ammo.

Good luck!
    --Rick

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Get you 1 or more reloading manuals then check on line to make sure that there is no typing errors. The manuals will give you a lot of info on different bullet brands, types and weights where on line may only list one brand of bullet and type. loading manual will tell you different powders with min and max weights. Old manuals will also have loads for powders no longer made that your 150 year old neighbor bought in the 40's by the ton and wants to sell you 10 pounds or 50 pounds of today.

Top Bottom