• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    So im looking to put a Red Dot on my AK and Im looking at 2 different ones. Im looking for input on which one I should go with?

Im looking at the Primary Arms Micro Dot and the Bushnell TRS-25.

It looks like they both are getting really good reviews and are about the same price. So which one are you guys using and like the best?

Ill be Running it on an Ultimak Rail.

Any Info with this is greatly appreciated.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I've got a PA and it's mounted on a TWS dogleg rail. Works great. The issue you will have is that most of the microdots have the emitter on the bottom so it wont cowitness like a T-1 or H-1. I think PA fixed this issue, just be sure to order the correct generation. If you contact them they'll let you know which one has the emitter somewhere other than the bottom. As far as heat from the Ultimak goes, i don't think i've heard of anyone having any issues. I wouldn't bumpfire a drum though.

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Gotta throw my vote at the Bushnell TRS-25. You may also want to consider the offerings from Vortex like the Strikefire or Sparc.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've got a PA and it's mounted on a TWS dogleg rail. Works great. The issue you will have is that most of the microdots have the emitter on the bottom so it wont cowitness like a T-1 or H-1. I think PA fixed this issue, just be sure to order the correct generation. If you contact them they'll let you know which one has the emitter somewhere other than the bottom. As far as heat from the Ultimak goes, i don't think i've heard of anyone having any issues. I wouldn't bumpfire a drum though.

I had this issue with the Vortex Sparc :noway:. If you want to go cheap, buy a Burris Fast Fire.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I had this issue with the Vortex Sparc :noway:. If you want to go cheap, buy a Burris Fast Fire.

What was your issue and was it resolved?

Id look strongly at the sparc. soomtimes do some have issues? Absolutly, but you will not find a company that treats their customers as well as vortex does. As a matter of fact if the dot is purchased threw me and you have a issue Ill replace it my self. As of today I have sold roughly 160 sparcs. 1 so far have had issues

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    What was your issue and was it resolved?

Id look strongly at the sparc. soomtimes do some have issues? Absolutly, but you will not find a company that treats their customers as well as vortex does. As a matter of fact if the dot is purchased threw me and you have a issue Ill replace it my self. As of today I have sold roughly 160 sparcs. 1 so far have had issues

In regards to performance, the opic has been flawless. The main problem I encountered is the emitter is located in the bottom of the sight window, and blocks the cowitness of iron sights on my AK. I am using the factory, non QD mount. If the battery goes dead, or optic fails, I want easy access to a plan B. My solution was to put the rear iron sight on the 300 meter setting, and adjust my front accordingly. It has worked so far, but is not something I have had to do with other optics.

I also don't like that the power turns on with just a press of a button on the flat side of the rifle, but will not turn off unless you hold it down. I've found the optic accidentally on a couple of times, because it has came in contact with something like my rifle bag. I would like to see a model that is harder to accidentally turn on. Maybe one thas a toggle switch like the Burris Fast Fire, rotary swith like the Aimpoint, or buttons on the rear like an Eotech.

Please don't read me wrong though, this is a great value priced optic. It's held zero, very visible in bright outdoor light, light weight, small, sits low, and appears to be fairly rugged.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    In regards to performance, the opic has been flawless. The main problem I encountered is the emitter is located in the bottom of the sight window, and blocks the cowitness of iron sights on my AK. I am using the factory, non QD mount. If the battery goes dead, or optic fails, I want easy access to a plan B. My solution was to put the rear iron sight on the 300 meter setting, and adjust my front accordingly. It has worked so far, but is not something I have had to do with other optics.

I also don't like that the power turns on with just a press of a button on the flat side of the rifle, but will not turn off unless you hold it down. I've found the optic accidentally on a couple of times, because it has came in contact with something like my rifle bag. I would like to see a model that is harder to accidentally turn on. Maybe one thas a toggle switch like the Burris Fast Fire, rotary swith like the Aimpoint, or buttons on the rear like an Eotech.

Please don't read me wrong though, this is a great value priced optic. It's held zero, very visible in bright outdoor light, light weight, small, sits low, and appears to be fairly rugged.

Got ya, when I read your first post I got the impression it had broken

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Sorry about that. I can definitely see how that could have been taken. And I think there is no question, your a stand up dude in regards to how you run your business. Meant to add to what VitaminK wrote, and forgot to quote the post.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    when i first made my draco SBR i ran a T-! on the ultimak rail. Later i got a TWS genII dogleg and ran it on the back. The nice thing is, the ultimak and the hinged cover don't add any weight. They both replace something that weights the same.

Before
    picture.php

after
    picture.php

Top Bottom