• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    I was hoping that you were right so I just checked the new Indiana deer hunting regulations. I can find where they lengthened the case lengths to include the .460 S&W and .450 Bushmaster but I can't find anything about them decreasing the minimum caliber. Here is what I just copied from the Indiana DNR website:

Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of.357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum
    case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to
    use only during the deer firearms and specialantlerless seasons. Some cartridges legal for
    deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44
    Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster,and .50 Beowulf.

If you can point me to the law that says .300 Blackout is legal, I would appreciate it very much. If you can't, you might want to be careful about spreading misinformation so you don't get a fellow hunter on here into hot water. I hope that you're right and that you prove me wrong.
    300 blk is only legal as a pistol not a rifle you are looking at rifle rules here is the pistol from the DNRs web page
    "

Handguns
    Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. "
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/fw-Deer_Hunting_Equipment.pdf

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Too bad Savage doesn't make the Striker anymore.

I just picked up a Savage Striker pistol in .308 Winchester. I'd love to put a suppressor on it this year for deer, but alas, the funds don't look like that's going to happen, not to mention the wait for the tax stamp.

Guess I'll have to wait for next year.
    I might still use it, it just won't be suppressed this year.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    300 blk is only legal as a pistol not a rifle you are looking at rifle rules here is the pistol from the DNRs web page
    "

Handguns
    Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. "
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/fw-Deer_Hunting_Equipment.pdf

My answer was based on the topic of this post which was "Which rifle, suppressor for deer". That is why I was looking at the rifle rules.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    Makes sense I was just saying how people were planning on using the 300. Blk besides a AR pistol is pretty much just a short rifle anyways

That's fine too. I was hoping that TAT7 knew something that I didn't know and the .300 Blackout had been approved as a rifle round for deer hunting here in Indiana.

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    That's fine too. I was hoping that TAT7 knew something that I didn't know and the .300 Blackout had been approved as a rifle round for deer hunting here in Indiana.

Weird that Myself and a buddy where discussing the very same thing as I was told it was legal at the range today ( 300 blkout) I came home and verified it is not. I was hoping something a changed but it has not.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    neeltburn, have you gotten your .300 can yet? It will still make a great coyote caliber even if we can't use it on deer. I'm trying to figure out which .458 can to get and waiting on my .300 Blackout stamp to come back.

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Negative on the can yet. Will keep you posted.. Maybe this week ( I say that every week) Last time I called the NFA I was told "some time" in June....

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I can still shoulder an AR-15 like a rifle when in pistol form and is why I piped up about the 300Blk. Yes it's only able to be used in a "pistol" configuration, but I still think of it as a rifle. Sorry I couldn't respond faster...I was out shooting ;)

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    neeltburn, have you gotten your .300 can yet? It will still make a great coyote caliber even if we can't use it on deer. I'm trying to figure out which .458 can to get and waiting on my .300 Blackout stamp to come back.

Its here its here! :rockwoot::D:D:D:D

JustinC53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    What a bummer. I was told at two separate gun stores here in Terre Haute that the 300 Blackout was going to be legal in rifle form this year. I even called Conservation officers from 3 state zones and was unable to get an answer from them surprisingly. Thanks for the information guys.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    What a bummer. I was told at two separate gun stores here in Terre Haute that the 300 Blackout was going to be legal in rifle form this year. I even called Conservation officers from 3 state zones and was unable to get an answer from them surprisingly. Thanks for the information guys.

[strike]If you have a 300 BLK AR, just put a pistol buffer on it for deer season.[/strike]

Edit: I have no idea what I was thinking.

Last edited:

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    I have been considering a tactical lever action .44 to use my Osprey can on. Loaded with hand-loaded .44spl rounds, it would be pretty fun and quiet.

do it

n7n0ZlV.jpg

beeeman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    If you have a 300 BLK AR, just put a pistol buffer on it for deer season.

Seriously? Be careful here, it is illegal to convert an AR rifle lower to a pistol lower. If DNR asks you what you are carrying into the woods to shoot a deer, you would have 2 options:
    1. Tell them it is a pistol. You have converted an AR rifle lower to a pistol lower. Nice Federal offense there.
    2. Tell them it is a rifle. Nice felony there.
    Slap a suppressor on it, and really watch the DNR smile.
    When it comes to haphazard advice on the internet, I would recommend doing your own research when laws are involved. If you are following advice on how much powdered sugar to add to your Pinterest waffles, less personal responsibility is required.

Last edited:

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    NRA-ILA | Indiana: Pro-Hunting Reform Bill Advances Out of Senate Committee

I hadn't heard that supressors were legal for hunting... So I searched and found the above. This is not final yet. Can somebody point me to last years changes on supressors for hunting???

HB1563 passed and is final if that's what your looking for, it's law and goes into effect July 1st. That's all from this year, last year it died in committee.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2013/HE/HE1563.1.html

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/s...nting-and-school-security-bills-into-law.aspx

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Seriously? Be careful here, it is illegal to convert an AR rifle lower to a pistol lower. If DNR asks you what you are carrying into the woods to shoot a deer, you would have 2 options:
    1. Tell them it is a pistol. You have converted an AR rifle lower to a pistol lower. Nice Federal offense there.
    2. Tell them it is a rifle. Nice felony there.
    Slap a suppressor on it, and really watch the DNR smile.
    When it comes to haphazard advice on the internet, I would recommend doing your own research when laws are involved. If you are following advice on how much powdered sugar to add to your Pinterest waffles, less personal responsibility is required.

I know that. I dont even know why I said otherwise. I corrected my post.

Top Bottom