• Which scope for the Appleseed

• Total voters

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    My wife gave me the OK to attend the upcoming Nappanee Appleseed event and now I have to get my gear ready.

I have my registration completed and my sling on order, but I am stuck trying to figure out which scope I want on the rifle. I took off the old scope a while back when I changed out the stock and now I cannot decide if I should put a scope on for the shoot that I can keep with the rifle or put one on just for the shoot.

What say you :ingo:?

My options that could stay with the rifle:

Leupold Mark 4 SPR 1" (1.5-5x)

Weaver Classic V16 w/ fine crosshair/dot & AO (4-16x)

And the one that would have to come off after the shoot:

Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x MOA (purchased from A&A Optics, of course, the link is just for info)

I was planning on using the Mark 4 due to the size and magnification range, but I haven't been able to fully sell myself on the idea. I really like the AO of the V16, buit sounds like the 4x magnification may be a little high on the fine-crosshair model. Meanwhile, the PST would work well, but it has another home already so it would have to come back off after the shoot.

I could really use some help from folks that have been there ...

Is there another option available in the area that I should look at instead of one of these? I would prefer not to buy another scope, but the opportunity does provide a good [STRIKE]excuse[/STRIKE] justification.

Edit: I had originally hoped to use Tech-Sights for the shoot, but I do not think I will have the chance to get them here in time to get them mounted properly on the bull barrel and half-way sighted as this Saturday is my last chance to get out before the shoot.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    None of the above. I feel like parallax adjustment, or rimfire parallax is very important for 25 yard shooting. All of the above have fixed 100yd parallax, or AO.

The AO would be fine, but I dont think I would want a bottom zoom of 4x. Its not that it wouldnt work, but lower zoom would be better for 25 yard shooting.

I just put the new Vortex PST 2.5-10 FFP on my appleseed rifle. I think the 2.5-10 zoom range is good, but the main benifit it offers over the SFP version is it has side focus.

A couple other options I carry to consider would be

price 179
    Vortex Optics - Diamondback 2-7x35 Rimfire V-Plex

price 119 (most popular appleseed scope I carry by far)
    Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 2-7x32 V-Plex Rimfire

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Out of curiosity... what advantage is there in using less zoom?

Larger FOV,

IMO at 25 yds during a AQT higher zooms would make it pretty easy to shoot the wrong target. If you are using a 2x zoom the target already apears 12.5 yards away wich I think is about right. On 4x zoom the target would appear 6.25yds away wich is to close.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    None of the above. I feel like parallax adjustment, or rimfire parallax is very important for 25 yard shooting. All of the above have fixed 100yd parallax, or AO.

The AO would be fine, but I dont think I would want a bottom zoom of 4x. Its not that it wouldnt work, but lower zoom would be better for 25 yard shooting.

I just put the new Vortex PST 2.5-10 FFP on my appleseed rifle. I think the 2.5-10 zoom range is good, but the main benifit it offers over the SFP version is it has side focus.

A couple other options I carry to consider would be

price 179
    Vortex Optics - Diamondback 2-7x35 Rimfire V-Plex

price 119 (most popular appleseed scope I carry by far)
    Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 2-7x32 V-Plex Rimfire

I know the FFP is out of my budget for now, but I did not think I could get the Diamondback in time to get it mounted and verified Saturday AM. After that, I am booked solid until the shoot.

I actually thought about just putting an EOTech 512 on w/ or w/o the 3x magnifier, but it sits so high I am not comfortable that I would get a good NPOA.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I know the FFP is out of my budget for now, but I am not certain I can get one in time to get it mounted and verified Saturday AM. After that, I am booked solid until the shoot.

I actually thought about just putting an EOTech 512 on w/ or w/o the 3x magnifier, but it sits so high I am not comfortable that I would get a good NPOA.

I really wish the SFP version had a side focus. The FFP part wont help much for appleseed, but the side focus is really nice.

If you want I have a crossfire2 2-7 on one of my rifles im not using that I can mail you to borrow until you decide what you want to do.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I really wish the SFP version had a side focus. The FFP part wont help much for appleseed, but the side focus is really nice.

If you want I have a crossfire2 2-7 on one of my rifles im not using that I can mail you to borrow until you decide what you want to do.

Thanks for the offer, but I suspect it would not arrive in time for me to run it Saturday AM (the packages have taken about 2days in the past, which puts me at a Monday or Tuesday delivery.)

I had thought about just ordering the Diamondback rimfire and may still order one, but I really want to get out with the complete rifle at least once before the shoot.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks for the offer, but I suspect it would not arrive in time for me to run it Saturday AM (the packages have taken about 2days in the past, which puts me at a Monday or Tuesday delivery.)

I had thought about just ordering the Diamondback rimfire and may still order one, but I really want to get out with the complete rifle at least once before the shoot.

Probably not.

of your options I would take the 2.5-10 PST. It will have better glass than the rest of your options, and a low enough zoom. You will probably want a extended rail to run a scope with that much eye relief.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I have a 2-7x Leupold on my 10/22 and haven't taken the Appleseed class but I have shot the qual test a bunch and really like that size. Occasionally I think a lil more power would be nice but I definitely like the 2x on the low end. I bet a 2.5-10x would be about perfect.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If your eyes will let you, I'd tell you to give irons a try for your first Appleseed. Beyond that I don't think I could add anything that 42769vette hasn't already. Magnification beyond about 2x is more problematic than helpful at a 25yrd shoot, I think. Frankly, if your vision (or the stock 10-22 sights) require you to mount a scope, you might be best served by plunking down $40 on a cheap 1x-4x at Wally World for the 2 days. On my last Appleseed when I couldn't get my vision to settle down enough to use the Tech Sights on my Marlin, I bought a little Simmons 1x -4x between sessions and managed to eke out a Rifleman score.

A10WEAPONSGUY

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    even my vortex 6-18 has paralax adjustment down to 10 yards and it works great...go for the vortex and you'll never look back!

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    If your eyes will let you, I'd tell you to give irons a try for your first Appleseed.

This is actually what I am ended up settling on. I decided I could not get the scope I wanted in time but I did find a set of Tech-Sights in one of my parts bins and put those on one of the Lipsey's 10/22s with a 22" barrel and then lightly floated the barrel.

Had it out briefly tonight to make certain I would be on paper with the newly installed sights and I was getting about 2" at 23yds offhand with a sling. I figure my form sucks now and I have somewhat of a hard time focusing on the front sight, but what I really want is the learning experience.

For my backup 10/22, however, I do have an EOTech that I can use w/ or w/o the 3x magnifier. My thinking is that I will switch to that if my vision is too much of an issue with the sights.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    even my vortex 6-18 has paralax adjustment down to 10 yards and it works great...go for the vortex and you'll never look back!

I just wish they made a scope with a starting magnification in the 2-3x range w/ AO that I could get for under $300 (the only one I know of from them is the 2.5-10x FFP PST which seems to run around $800.)

Until they do, I am probably stuck with either a rimfire model, irons, or a dot. Of the three, I tend to prefer a dot with irons as a backup over the scopes.

Edit: I forgot to include the AO requirement

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I just wish they made a scope with a starting magnification in the 2-3x range that I could get for under $300 (the only one I know of from them is the 2.5-10x FFP PST which seems to run around $800.)

Until they do, I am probably stuck with either a rimfire model, irons, or a dot. Of the three, I tend to prefer a dot with irons as a backup over the scopes.

They do make quite a few, but not with Viper Glass.

The diamondback comes in 1.75-5, 2-7, and 3-9 Priced from 179-199
    The Crossfire2 comes in 2-7, 3-9x40, 3-9x50 Priced from 119-209

They usto make a 2-7 Viper, but it was discontinued a few years back. I dont know why they got rid of it, it was a great scope.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    They do make quite a few, but not with Viper Glass.

The diamondback comes in 1.75-5, 2-7, and 3-9 Priced from 179-199
    The Crossfire2 comes in 2-7, 3-9x40, 3-9x50 Priced from 119-209

They usto make a 2-7 Viper, but it was discontinued a few years back. I dont know why they got rid of it, it was a great scope.

I realized I for got to put the AO on my description. What I was trying to ask for is a 2-3x lower magnification range w/ AO (or side-focus) that runs less than the PST.

I am not a big fan of "rimfire" scopes as most of my 22lr rifle target shooting is at 100yds or slightly more, but the Appleseeds and some of the local matches mean I want to be able to bring it back to 25yds (hence my desire for AO or side-focus.)

Top Bottom