• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have been visiting, my local Wal-Mart, for the past few weeks, since they have started selling long guns, again ..... I now seek YOUR, advice .... They, have a Savage Axis, .308, on the shelf, for $267.00 plus tax. The Remington 700, is $550.00. I checked the Savage website, and the Axis, goes for around $349.00, I know how some of YOU, feel about buying, from somewhere else, other than the local gunshop, but $80.00 is a lot to me, right now... So, what is your opinion, of the Savage Axis ??? I have never heard of this rifle, till I saw it at Wal-Mart ... Let me know your opinions, and if anyone has experience, with this rifle, I would like you, to share .....
    Thanks in advance .....

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The Axis was originally called The Edge, and Savage changed the name. I assume due to someone else having rights to the name.

I don't know much about this particular model, but I have a Savage bolt rifle (12FVSS) that I like a lot. What will you be doing with the rifle, what's your budget for a rifle and glass?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    i can get the rifle, and put a cheap scope, on it, probably, less than $100.00, I will use it out to 200 Yards, the farthest range, around here..... Crosley, 2 hr south ...

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    i can get the rifle, and put a cheap scope, on it, probably, less than $100.00, I will use it out to 200 Yards, the farthest range, around here..... Crosley, 2 hr south ...

Remember you will need rings as well, and you will not get much glass for that price. Its been a while since I outfitted my bolt rifle, so I haven't checked optics prices lately, and have not researched what is out there lately but I know you are not going to get much for that $.

Also, per the Savage website, in case you care about such things the trigger is not an Accutrigger:

"As with any Savage or Stevens firearm not incorporating an Accutrigger®, the trigger mechanism is not adjustable. Any adjustments made after the firearm leaves the factory may render it unsafe to shoot and is the sole responsibility/liability of the user."

A little reading seems to indicate that the Axis can't be easily upgraded like some other Savage/Stevens models.

Also, is there a particular reason you want a .308? Shooting the .308 is not as cheap as some calibers out there.

I'm not knocking the Savage, and I certainly know the value of a $, so as long as you have the right expectations, the Savage could be a great purchase and entry into a bolt rifle, but you will likely want to put more into your optic.

It doesn't sound like the Remington is a real option at this time given the price, so sounds like the decision is to buy the Axis or wait.

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Just a thought...my son says if any wal-mart has the kind of gun you want, even if they don't carry it locally, they will send it to your store. He got a Weatherby that they sent up from Texas....pretty cool. You'll do ok with a 100.00 scope....I got a +30 yr. old 30.00 Tasco 3x9 on the Garand, works perfect....a 4x cheap tasco on the shotgun still perfect for over 10 yrs....a 70.00 3x9 Bushnell on the AR, works perfect. I went crazy an bought a 170.00 Nikon Prostaff for the M14/M1A....It has the BDC an I really like that...for the different ranges.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a Savage edge in .223. My first trip out, I shot a 5 shot group smaller then a nickle, and another smaller then a dime. I took the Bushnell scope that came from the factory off, and I replaced it with a Nikon Buckmaster, and Burris Signature rings. For the money, In my opinion, you can not beat it. The trigger is a little stiff at first, but mine is getting smoother over time. If you are looking for a good starter rifle, then it's a good choice. For $100, you are not going to get much in the way of rings and scope. You can pick up a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 for around $80. Hell, I'll sale you the rings and scope that came on mine for a good price.

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have a Savage edge in .223. My first trip out, I shot a 5 shot group smaller then a nickle, and another smaller then a dime. I took the Bushnell scope that came from the factory off, and I replaced it with a Nikon Buckmaster, and Burris Signature rings. For the money, In my opinion, you can not beat it. The trigger is a little stiff at first, but mine is getting smoother over time. If you are looking for a good started rifle, then it's a good choice. For $100, you are not going to get much in the way of rings and scope. You can pick up a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 for around $80. Hell, I'll sale you the rings and scope that came on mine for a good price.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind ....

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Remember you will need rings as well, and you will not get much glass for that price. Its been a while since I outfitted my bolt rifle, so I haven't checked optics prices lately, and have not researched what is out there lately but I know you are not going to get much for that $.

Also, per the Savage website, in case you care about such things the trigger is not an Accutrigger:

"As with any Savage or Stevens firearm not incorporating an Accutrigger®, the trigger mechanism is not adjustable. Any adjustments made after the firearm leaves the factory may render it unsafe to shoot and is the sole responsibility/liability of the user."

A little reading seems to indicate that the Axis can't be easily upgraded like some other Savage/Stevens models.

Also, is there a particular reason you want a .308? Shooting the .308 is not as cheap as some calibers out there.

I'm not knocking the Savage, and I certainly know the value of a $, so as long as you have the right expectations, the Savage could be a great purchase and entry into a bolt rifle, but you will likely want to put more into your optic.

It doesn't sound like the Remington is a real option at this time given the price, so sounds like the decision is to buy the Axis or wait.
    I will try to answer, all questions.... I have been reloading, .308, since 1980. Had a Rem. 788, had to sell it, a few years ago. 3-4 years ago, I wanted another .308, so bad, I bought a Spanish Mauser, that was origanally, 7X57 mm, rechambered, to .308, I put a CHEAP scope, on it, and can get 4" groups, at 200 yards. BUT, I cannot shoot FACTORY, rounds, in this weapon. I must reload LIGHT, because, of pressure. So, I want a "real" .308, something NEW, and strong enough, to handle full power, loads, for hunting, and even use some Match ammo, in it ..... I am NOT, expecting a tack driver, but 2-4 inch groups, at 200 yards, is probably, as good as I am going to get, without a lot more practice..... I am not looking to upgrade, just want something, factory, to shoot.... that is all I need ..... as far as cheap optics, I have had good luck, with all my cheap optics... just can't bring myself, to spend more on glass, than what I paid for the rifle, (or any other gun)..... I am probably pretty sure, I know my limitations, on acuracy, and distance..... The Rem., 700, that I dream about, is around $1000.00, no way, at this time ..... not interested, in shooting 1000 yards... Just looking for something, dependable, to shoot, probably, won't shoot more than 100 - 200 rounds, per year ..... Thank YOU, all for your advice, and thank you, for keeping it civil.... everyone, I have met, from INGO, has been nice, and knowledgeable.... I appreciate that, that is what keeps me hanging around here .....

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    If you are just looking for a cheaper option to get into rifle shooting the Axis will do you just fine, My brother has one in .308 and it has no problem out to 200yrds. Granted your not going to get that much further than that out of it but for a budget rifle you could do alot worse, hope this helps

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Heres my thoughts on this, all tho I love my Savage. I'd buy the Savage, use the money saved over the Remington price to buy ammo.
    The nice thing about the Savage is with a couple of tool and a guage you can pretty much make it any caliber you want.

walker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Terre Haute
    I bought a Savage Edge in .223 last month, just for a fun gun to plink with. Mounted a Redfield 4-12x40 with Weaver Grand Slam rings and Butler Creek caps. It's a fun gun to shoot, 3/4-1in groups with reloads for my AR15 (27gr-748 55gr PSP)

Top Bottom