• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I will try to answer, all questions.... I have been reloading, .308, since 1980. Had a Rem. 788, had to sell it, a few years ago. 3-4 years ago, I wanted another .308, so bad, I bought a Spanish Mauser, that was origanally, 7X57 mm, rechambered, to .308, I put a CHEAP scope, on it, and can get 4" groups, at 200 yards. BUT, I cannot shoot FACTORY, rounds, in this weapon. I must reload LIGHT, because, of pressure. So, I want a "real" .308, something NEW, and strong enough, to handle full power, loads, for hunting, and even use some Match ammo, in it ..... I am NOT, expecting a tack driver, but 2-4 inch groups, at 200 yards, is probably, as good as I am going to get, without a lot more practice..... I am not looking to upgrade, just want something, factory, to shoot.... that is all I need ..... as far as cheap optics, I have had good luck, with all my cheap optics... just can't bring myself, to spend more on glass, than what I paid for the rifle, (or any other gun)..... I am probably pretty sure, I know my limitations, on acuracy, and distance..... The Rem., 700, that I dream about, is around $1000.00, no way, at this time ..... not interested, in shooting 1000 yards... Just looking for something, dependable, to shoot, probably, won't shoot more than 100 - 200 rounds, per year ..... Thank YOU, all for your advice, and thank you, for keeping it civil.... everyone, I have met, from INGO, has been nice, and knowledgeable.... I appreciate that, that is what keeps me hanging around here .....

Sounds reasonable and makes sense. My main concern with the .308 was that if you were trying to save $ on the rifle, that the expense of shooting the .308 would put a damper on your shooting. Since you are a reloader, that's not a concern. Sounds like you know what you want, so I'd say go for it. You might do just a bit of calling around to see if a local shop can compete on the price. As stated, I like my Savage alot, and understand perfectly limiting the spend on both gun and optics.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I personally hate dealing with chinamart, opps I mean walmart, and am so stubborn about it that I often knowingly pay more at other stores.

I have a question about the Savage Edge/Axis models. Are they still USA made and the same design as the regular Savage rifles? Remington has a low line of O/U shotguns that are foeign world imports and the 710 Remington is different design, I am wondering if Savage is doing these same things?

yotebutcher90

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    West Lafayette
    Had shot a Savage Edge in 25-06 and it did nothing but tumble the bullets and couldn't get a 6 inch group at 100, but a friend's 223 Edge will do a 1/2 in group at 100, but personally I would go with the Remington, the gun is really light built and will have quite a bit of recoil

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I personally hate dealing with chinamart, opps I mean walmart, and am so stubborn about it that I often knowingly pay more at other stores.

I have a question about the Savage Edge/Axis models. Are they still USA made and the same design as the regular Savage rifles? Remington has a low line of O/U shotguns that are foeign world imports and the 710 Remington is different design, I am wondering if Savage is doing these same things?

No, the Savage is made here in the U.S.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Had shot a Savage Edge in 25-06 and it did nothing but tumble the bullets and couldn't get a 6 inch group at 100, but a friend's 223 Edge will do a 1/2 in group at 100, but personally I would go with the Remington, the gun is really light built and will have quite a bit of recoil

For the money he is wanting to spend, the Remington is more than he really needs. Their budget model 710, I believe. Is not worth the box it came in.

Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    I bought my Savage edge 308 from Bob in plainfield for $350. ,befor the name change. It came with a cheap scope ,but right out of the box i was shooting 2" groups at 100 yards with cheap ammo. I dialed it in and was driving tacs. I have been very happy with it. Ive since reloaded 100 rounds ranging from min load to max load ,but havent had a chance to go out and test it. When i do get out and shoot it again i will give a report and take some pictures.

nfolsom13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    greenfield, IN
    i did some research and took a visit to the walmart and personally im gonna get one!! thanks for the heads up..thought walmart was all pellet and mussel loaders

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    the savage in most instances will shoot w/ any rem. 700.how could anyone say savage is 200 yard gun but rem. is better.i have bought two new remington 700 adl's that wouldnt eject ever.bought one savage 17 hm2 that wont either though.heavier trigger and learn to shoot.instead of trying to buy experience.shoot.i got a stevens 200 22-250 that plain shoots.i am selling my high dollar guns and replacing them w/ cheaper ones and enjoying spending all the money.good chance the savage will be fine.

Top Bottom