• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I have been looking at getting into the suppressor game. I like the monocore suppressors. I like the stainless core. I like the ability to take apart somewhat easily.

After talking with the fine folks at Acme in Seymour. I almost made up my mind on the AAC prodigy (if memory serves). I understand the buy it for a lifetime issue.

My questions have probably already been asked and answered by others, so I figured I would pick the brains of those that have been down this road before.

Who makes cans with the above attributes? Why would you pick one over the other? Do you worry about the manufacturers longevity (past and future), for warranty and support? How much did initial cost factor into your decision?

I don't want to make a lifetime investment and have it worn out in a few years. Not saying that any manufactures product would be, I just don't want to take that chance.

Thanks for any help and answers.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    You should check out the Huntertown Arms SBD if you want a Monocore... its crazy quiet and doesn't change the Point of Impact at all. Its easily serviceable and doesn't require any special take-down tools.

I assume you're talking .22lr suppressors?

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Yes .22. I have looked at their Gaurdian. Not to be negative, but aren't they relatively new? That is one of my concerns, longevity. I have heard nothing but good things about their product.

Also. Can a 9mm can be made to take .22 baffles? and be used on mmore than one caliber? Who would sell a system like that?

Last edited:

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Yes .22. I have looked at their Gaurdian. Not to be negative, but aren't they relatively new? That is one of my concerns, longevity. I have heard nothing but good things about their product.

Also. Can a 9mm can be made to take .22 baffles? and be used on mmore than one caliber? Who would sell a system like that?

I don't think you can change the baffles - unless you were to send it back and even then it might cost. You can get a take apart 9mm can and use it to shoot 22 however.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

You can't change calibers. BIG no no. Big fine, long jail term.

New as in a little over a year old. If my intel is correct last month we sold more suppressors than about 5 of our better known competitors did all of last year. That doesn't make us better - but it does mean our plan is working and customers see the quality in our products.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I don't think you can change the baffles - unless you were to send it back and even then it might cost. You can get a take apart 9mm can and use it to shoot 22 however.

Which is the route I plan to take. I am sure someone can speak to the effectiveness of this set up, Im sure it isnt as good as a .22 can, but I know it works.

Oh, you will probably need a thread adapter though.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    New as in a little over a year old. If my intel is correct last month we sold more suppressors than about 5 of our better known competitors did all of last year. That doesn't make us better - but it does mean our plan is working and customers see the quality in our products.[/QUOTE]

And I have heard good things about your product. I can't find much on your SBD on your site. Can you put up info and maybe some pics? Seems I remember reading about it somewhere:dunno:.

Also, Huntertown and Thompson are the two companies that have really peaked my interest in cans. Afforadability (Read, I am cheap:D)

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    It's a quiet little secret. We've only shipped a few of them. Still working on the manufacturing process for the cores. They are expensive to build and we're trying to get the manufacturing cost down before we go into a full release.

Cheap is OK. When I started Huntertown Arms I formed a company around the price of $199. I wanted a suppressor that could be purchased for less than the cost of the tax stamp, yet was compared favorably with the best suppressors on the market. We control costs through controlling and optimizing our manufacturing processes. I talked to a very well respected and known 07/SOT that told me his tube process takes 5 times longer than ours and requires far more human intervention than our process does. We pass those savings directly on to our customers.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Silencerco's Sparrow is now an SS monocore. The Prodigy is nice (I have one) but they require a LOT of babysitting. You have to crack the tube loose from the core every couple mags or so to keep it from getting locked up with carbon and they have a pretty low round count cleaning schedule. That said, they're the quietest monocore on the market.

The Sparrow is really nice though, take a look at that one. MUCH easier to get apart when time to clean.

I wouldn't hesitate to look at Huntertown's products if I was in the market for a .22 can. They are quality and quiet!

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    It's a religious war really. Kind of like less filling / tastes great.

We do primarily K baffles for a couple reasons.

All monocores (except maybe the Essence) has horrible first round pop. Dave at Liberty has spent a lot of time and money tuning his cores to remove the FRP. The Prodigy FRP is really bad. The Sparrow is bad. After the first or second round they settle down very nicely.

K baffles are cheaper to engineer, but more expensive to produce (once you have the production process on the monocore right) and assemble. However they are more efficient. You really have to have proper machining equipment to efficiently make K baffles. Now that we have our manufacturing process down, we can adjust the length of the suppressor by simply adding or removing a baffle. We took out baffle cutting the Guardian down from 6" to 5.25" with no measurable difference in reduction (with subsonic and standard velocity ammo). We cut out another baffle creating the Micro (4.5") with only a couple dB sound level increase. The B has a different baffle design, but is essentially a three K baffle suppressor. If we wanted to do the same thing with a monocore we would have had to do a lot more engineering.

AS far as cleaning, I think it's a lot harder to clean a monocore (with the sole exception of the Sparrow) because there is so much mated surface between the tube and the core. With K baffles there is very little mated surface. With a K baffle design you have multiple parts, but the design goal of a suppressor is not necessarily to remove parts so much as reduce noise and provide the ability to clean it.

The absolute quietest .22 can on the market is the Element. It's a K baffle can. That says a lot to me.

Sometimes old school is right school.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    What about reinstalling the baffles? Do they have to line up a certain way or do they just drop in? Thanks for the above. I got to thinking about it last night and it seemed that cleaning a k baffle would probably be easier. More parts but better access.

So when can we expect to see the SBD?

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    It's a quiet little secret. We've only shipped a few of them. Still working on the manufacturing process for the cores. They are expensive to build and we're trying to get the manufacturing cost down before we go into a full release.

Cheap is OK. When I started Huntertown Arms I formed a company around the price of $199. I wanted a suppressor that could be purchased for less than the cost of the tax stamp, yet was compared favorably with the best suppressors on the market. We control costs through controlling and optimizing our manufacturing processes. I talked to a very well respected and known 07/SOT that told me his tube process takes 5 times longer than ours and requires far more human intervention than our process does. We pass those savings directly on to our customers.
    After getting to shoot a few of your suppressors today, i am sold, i bought my first Huntertown suppressor of many i hope. Very nice product, i would not hesitate to buy another one " like the 9mm one i got to shoot" all i can say is WOW. Good luck in the future, i'm sure you will do great. Now please build some more P-22 adapters, thank you.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Depends on the design of the can. Some baffles just stack up and drop in. Some are designed to index 180 degrees from the last one. They usually have notches and little posts that snap together.

Some guys clean their baffles in a brass tumbler. This seems to work really well. Probably couldn't do that effectively with a monocore.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I bought the Thompson Zephyr XL, and love it. It's a user serviceable mono core, and is ridiculously quiet. No first round pop, and when used with subsonic ammo, all I hear is the action of the firearm. It's quiet enough that I shoot it inside the house or in the basement on a pretty regular basis.

My only complaint is the tool used to break it down. I really wish they would have kept it simple like Hunterstown, and made it where I could use a socket or wrench to tear down. Their tool is too short to get a good hold on to break the can down if it gets gunked up, which is where mine is currently. Need to get some kroil.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Is there any concern over the thread mount material? Steel Aluminum or Titanium? Light weight aluminum and titanium. Strong steel titanium. Cost aluminum and steel. Way to many things to consider. Am I overthinking things?

Has anybody seen a side by side comparison of different cans? Not just how quite but all things considered. Like material used in different areas of the can. Ease of cleaning. Mounting options. Life of can. Just wondering if there has ever been such a thing. I almost to the point of inviting owners of different cans to my place to shoot them all and compare the afore mentioned items.:D Think something like that would work? I know there are different NFA day events put togerther here but haven;t heard of any of it being for comparing.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Just wondering if there has ever been such a thing. I almost to the point of inviting owners of different cans to my place to shoot them all and compare the afore mentioned items.:D Think something like that would work? I know there are different NFA day events put togerther here but haven;t heard of any of it being for comparing.

You missed that day! :)

News

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    If you peruse nfatalk.org you will find the data that they have compiled on dB ratings. Highlight the highest and the lowest. Then go to manufacturers websites and plug in their published specs for cost, weight, and length.

Here's what I found:
    - Gemtech Outback II is the lightest at 2.5oz (Huntertown Arms "B" is only .2 oz heavier)
    - Huntertown Arms "B" is the shortest at 3.75"
    - Huntertown Arms Guardian 22 is the best priced at $199
    - Huntertown Arms Guardian posted the greatest dB reduction. (They used a Remington for the host instead of the CZ for this can, so I won't call it "the quietest" as it would be unscientific to say so.)
    - Liberty Kodiak SS is the quietest at the left ear.
    - Liberty Kodiak SS posted the greatest dB reduction at the left ear.

- AACs Element is the highest priced can at $595
    - Liberty Kodiak SS is the heaviest can (9.1 oz).
    - Thompson Machine Zephyr XL is the longest can (6.88").
    - YHM Mite is the loudest overall suppressor, and at the ear.
    - YHM Mite shows the least amount of dB reduction overall and at the ear.

There are many, many more rimfire cans that could be compared, but I was using 16 of come of the most popular suppressors on the market. I didn't post any decibel numbers as they belong to nfatalk.org. This is not to be considered the definitive test, but I think it's one of the most complete available.
    =========================
    IMO, each buyer has to look at the data and select the aspects that matter most for their wants. For me, Huntertown Arms Guardian provides some of the best performance for only $199, and wins my vote.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    If you peruse nfatalk.org you will find the data that they have compiled on dB ratings. Highlight the highest and the lowest. Then go to manufacturers websites and plug in their published specs for cost, weight, and length.

Here's what I found:
    - Gemtech Outback II is the lightest at 2.5oz (Huntertown Arms "B" is only .2 oz heavier)
    - Huntertown Arms "B" is the shortest at 3.75"
    - Huntertown Arms Guardian 22 is the best priced at $199
    - Huntertown Arms Guardian posted the greatest dB reduction. (They used a Remington for the host instead of the CZ for this can, so I won't call it "the quietest" as it would be unscientific to say so.)
    - Liberty Kodiak SS is the quietest at the left ear.
    - Liberty Kodiak SS posted the greatest dB reduction at the left ear.

- AACs Element is the highest priced can at $595
    - Liberty Kodiak SS is the heaviest can (9.1 oz).
    - Thompson Machine Zephyr XL is the longest can (6.88").
    - YHM Mite is the loudest overall suppressor, and at the ear.
    - YHM Mite shows the least amount of dB reduction overall and at the ear.

There are many, many more rimfire cans that could be compared, but I was using 16 of come of the most popular suppressors on the market. I didn't post any decibel numbers as they belong to nfatalk.org. This is not to be considered the definitive test, but I think it's one of the most complete available.
    =========================
    IMO, each buyer has to look at the data and select the aspects that matter most for their wants. For me, Huntertown Arms Guardian provides some of the best performance for only $199, and wins my vote.

Thanks. I just signed up at NFATALK still trying to read through it all. I was hoping someone had already asked or answered my questions. The best I have found so far is buy the most you can afford. I just now got the fund built to buy the least expensive. But I am willing to save awile longer to make sure I get a can that will last the rest of my sons life.:)

Top Bottom