• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My mom is interested in getting a little bit more internet access and functionality than her android phone currently allows. She doesn't need a full-blown computer and most of her usage will be simple internet browsing: checking email, reading news, online bill pay, etc.

I happen to be a Mac fan, but wasn't sure if the price was worth it for her simple requirements. What other tablets are there that might be a better value?

And her connectivity will be through the library via wifi or perhaps 3G but I think 3G capability adds to the cost. At least it does with the iPad2 I think.

Thanks.

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    Can't go wrong with the Kindle Fire if she's only lightly surfing and potentially reading books on it. iPad is overkill for what you described.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    iPad. Get her an iPad and she will love both the iPad and you. Get her anything else and you will wish you had gotten the iPad. Just do it, it's worth the extra money. NOTHING is more intuitive and easy for your mom, not even a notepad and pencil or an etch-a-sketch.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You could get the HP... oh but no, it is gone because it couldn't compete with the iPad. I don't know how much you can do with the Kindle or Nook. But they don't seem like real tablets to me.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    If you get her anything else, every time she sees an iPad commercial she'll say, "Oooh, will mine do that? I wish mine would do that..." She'll see one of her friends using one and come to you and say, "Oooh, Mavis had that iPad thing and it was so easy to use!"

Save yourself the frustration. She's your MOTHER. She GAVE YOU LIFE. She cleaned your diapers. Get her the iPad.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    If your mother is anything like mine...? Get her the iPad. My mom has one and absolutely LOVES it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If you get her anything else, every time she sees an iPad commercial she'll say, "Oooh, will mine do that? I wish mine would do that..." She'll see one of her friends using one and come to you and say, "Oooh, Mavis had that iPad thing and it was so easy to use!"

Save yourself the frustration. She's your MOTHER. She GAVE YOU LIFE. She cleaned your diapers. Get her the iPad.

Not really. When I say casual web browsing is all she'd use it for, I mean that's all she'd use it for. This is essentially a replacement for the web browsing on her phone. She can still get by with the phone for everything else she needs/uses.

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    Not really. When I say casual web browsing is all she'd use it for, I mean that's all she'd use it for. This is essentially a replacement for the web browsing on her phone. She can still get by with the phone for everything else she needs/uses.
    Kindle Fire or Nook Color would suit your requirements.

I'm not familiar with Kindle, but it looks like they took a page from the B&N book (Nook Color) with their Fire model.

Kindle Fire vs. Nook Color

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    might want to look into the Samsung galaxy tab. it's a direct competitor with the ipad (but cheaper) and it's running android, which it sounds like she may already be familiar with. The big positive is the Samsung has flash support which means she can have the same internet experience that you get on a PC or any android device (sorry apple fan boys!!)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    might want to look into the Samsung galaxy tab. it's a direct competitor with the ipad (but cheaper) and it's running android, which it sounds like she may already be familiar with. The big positive is the Samsung has flash support which means she can have the same internet experience that you get on a PC or any android device (sorry apple fan boys!!)

I've been reading up on that, but it seems that Samsung dropped the ball on offering one with wifi-only access. They have one now, but it's operating on the old Android 2.2 OS. All the reviews I've read say the 3.0 or Honeycomb is much better. But the base price on those isn't much different than the iPad2 price and most of them still don't offer the wifi-only option so in all likelihood we'd probably go to the iPad2. Maybe. :n00b:

It seems like every benefit in one area has a corresponding drawback somewhere else. She's not getting one in the near future. Gonna wait until after Christmas. And the Kindle Fire doesn't come out until 11/15 anyway so hopefully that will be enough time for any issues to come to light and help us make a decision.

jsnowy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Sounds like 3G would be overkill for your mom. I have a hard time recommending a tablet other than the iPad due to its simplicity and reliability. If cost was really a factor you could find an original iPad (used or refurbished) for a great value.
    I would still go with an iPad 2 though, they are excellent machines.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    what about just a small netbook?

Nope, i've gone from the position of "They're great" to "They're crap" . My wife has a netbook that is about a year old and the fan in it has gone out. The special fan costs ~$40 to replace, not happy at all. Either go with a full laptop or a tablet.

I have a Nook Color and it's fine, not great just fine. I had to root mine to make it worth while. If all she want's is just LIGHT internet use then the Nook Color should be fine.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    iPad2...I just bought my wife one for our 10th anniversary and she LOVES it. I want one now that I've messed around on it. With a camera for video chatting and taking pictures plus video and all the games plus magazine subscriptions, book reading, email and web browsing, like he said, get the iPad and your mother will love you!

Drunken Yak inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Osceola, IN
    For simplicity and ease of use I would say iPad, there have only been two instances in the last year and a half where I wish it had flash. But it would be hard for me to say to not get an android device if that's what her phone is because she's already used to the andriod OS. Plus if it's anything like what Apple has, when she creates a contact, note, email, bookmarks (Internet and in iBooks) etc. on one device it automatically is created on the second device. At least that's how it works between my MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone. Obviously she wouldn't be able to do that if one device is andriod and one device is ios 5.

Maybe one of you andriod fan boys can confirm that andriod behaves in the simaliar fashion as Apple in that regard?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    what about just a small netbook?
    This^
    I would swing for a small netbook...

Or meet in the middle with an Asus Eee Pad transformer.... it's a droid tablet that transforms into a netbook. I have the Eee transformer and absolutely love every aspect of it... I haven't had to charge the battery for over 4 days. Periodic usage, but has been turned on the entire 4 days (wireless set to only turn on when screen comes on).

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    For simplicity and ease of use I would say iPad, there have only been two instances in the last year and a half where I wish it had flash. But it would be hard for me to say to not get an android device if that's what her phone is because she's already used to the andriod OS. Plus if it's anything like what Apple has, when she creates a contact, note, email, bookmarks (Internet and in iBooks) etc. on one device it automatically is created on the second device. At least that's how it works between my MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone. Obviously she wouldn't be able to do that if one device is andriod and one device is ios 5.

Maybe one of you andriod fan boys can confirm that andriod behaves in the simaliar fashion as Apple in that regard?
    all versions of android are fairly similar. when they update versions they add a few small features and make some of the icons prettier. for the basic user, i would say, if they have used one android device then all the others will be easy to pick up.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I bought two ipad2s, one for me and one for the wifey, about 3 months ago. Neither one of us go an entire day without playing on it. In fact, I'm using it now. I never use our laptop anymore.

Having said that, if your mom is a casual user and cost is a factor, you could look at getting the original iPad instead of the 2. I've seen the first gens refurbed for $300.

Heck, check the non firearms related classifieds. One sold recently for $325.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    I vote netbook also. My apologies to the appleheads:) Just too expensive for a web browser.....My aspire one has served me well-for around $200 -battery lasts a good 3 hours- can't beat it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom