• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've seen these two sharpie looking things recently...

Don't know that one would necessarily be any "better" than the other...

Opinions?

Ontario Knife's Catalog

and

Ontario Knife's Catalog

The first one, the RD Hawk just seems to LOOK cooler than the second, the SPAX. Since either one will be, at most, an emergency tool, not sure how much looks matter over functionality.

And, while I'm at it, I also like the RTAK-II.... Ontario Knife's Catalog Seems to be a lot of knife for the money. (Again, not an every day tool, just something to have just in case - and to compliment my ESEE-4. Would love a Junglas - but can't afford it)

-J-

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I like the first one best as well. I'd like to throw it so it seems the best for that, although I must say that the second looks very cool in the Ontario sheath...

8422_-_SP16_FG_UC_Sheath__38713.1265828919.1280.1280.jpg

I have the RTAK II and can't say enough about this knife. It has been excellent and like the sheath as well. For the money, I don't think you can beat it...:twocents:

picture.php

CandiruinRTAKIISheath.jpg

picture.php

Last edited:

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I've seen these two sharpie looking things recently...

Don't know that one would necessarily be any "better" than the other...

Opinions?

Ontario Knife's Catalog

and

Ontario Knife's Catalog

The first one, the RD Hawk just seems to LOOK cooler than the second, the SPAX. Since either one will be, at most, an emergency tool, not sure how much looks matter over functionality.

And, while I'm at it, I also like the RTAK-II.... Ontario Knife's Catalog Seems to be a lot of knife for the money. (Again, not an every day tool, just something to have just in case - and to compliment my ESEE-4. Would love a Junglas - but can't afford it)

-J-

I have the SPAX. It's held up pretty well, being used for clearing shooting lanes and even as a maul during wood-splitting. The notch in the top also allows you to open a fire-hydrant :D

I also had an RTAK-II and while it's a fine tool, I sold it once I bought a Junglas.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I didn't see prices but I would opt for the Swamp Rat Kill Devil Sniper Hawk for $228.00. I have a couple Ontario blades an there okay for the money but I heard there customer service sucks when it comes to the warranty. If you want a Junglas get in touch with Bradknives or Knife Lady n here. I bought the Venom Green and a Black Junglas from them.

2012-10-22_16-09-16_235.jpg

The smaller two are some cheap Busses.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I didn't see prices but I would opt for the Swamp Rat Kill Devil Sniper Hawk for $228.00. I have a couple Ontario blades an there okay for the money but I heard there customer service sucks when it comes to the warranty. If you want a Junglas get in touch with Bradknives or Knife Lady n here. I bought the Venom Green and a Black Junglas from them.

The smaller two are some cheap Busses.

I can't afford $228 for a Swamp Rat Hawk!!

I CAN afford $100 for an Ontario Hawk and another $100 for the RTAK...

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In that case I would spend $165.00 on a Junglas and the other $35.00 on a SOG fast hawk.

But is the SOG Fast Hawk better than the Ontario?

Seems the steel of the Ontario is MUCH much better than the 420 stainless of the SOG...

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    But is the SOG Fast Hawk better than the Ontario?

Seems the steel of the Ontario is MUCH much better than the 420 stainless of the SOG...

:dunno: I have two my wife bought me and seem to be okay for the money. IMO the Junglas is better than all three options you shared from Ontario. I just mentioned the fast hawk to help cure your itch for a hawk. I am sure the hardcore knife guys will be along in a few with more wisdom then me. I am just a noob when it comes to the knife game.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    about 4-6 months..... :)

total cost on material sheet is $285.40, shipped. design is all but complete, just need to mock one up and see what i need to tweak. i also still need to price handle material...... ford black, baby.

won't be $100 though..... probly right at $225 plus shipping.... :)

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    about 4-6 months..... :)

total cost on material sheet is $285.40, shipped. design is all but complete, just need to mock one up and see what i need to tweak. i also still need to price handle material...... ford black, baby.

won't be $100 though..... probly right at $225 plus shipping.... :)

This is exciting news! Can't wait to see the design. My wife has a fasination with Hawks, she has been chomping at the bit to order the Devil Hawk. I keep telling her to hold off so I can explore more options.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I like the price point on the VTAC Lagana (The other two models are both over $200)...

But I don't necessarily want a "fighting" tool. I want a tool/ax/hatchet that can be used as a hatchet all day long for more than just hacking wood if I need it to.

And just in seeing pictures, the Ontario (with or without the pick) SEEMS to fill the bill better than the "fighting hawk" style of the VTAC Lagana.

Top Bottom