Which would you rather have a $200 tax or No wait?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Still checking the constitution to find where it says I have to pay to exercise my second amendment rights.

That stated, paying the tax, fill out a 4473 and take it home immediately makes more sense.

What makes you think the government actually pays attention to the Constitution? They ignore it and pass illegal laws whenever the whim takes them. The number of laws on the books today that violate the Consitution and Bill of Rights is far higher than those that work within the frame of those documents.

Death and taxes...can't get rid of either it seems...I would rather pay the tax and take my new toys home that same day.

koveras225

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Noble County
    It's starting to seem that way too many people don't realize what the lack of tax would mean for the NFA.

Back in 1934 the NFA was presented to Congress and subsequently passed as a taxing measure. It is part of the US Tax Code, and was originally enforced by the IRS. In short, the stated purpose of the NFA was, and still is, to regulate by means of a TAX. Likewise, the registration requirement of the NFA is nothing more than a method to aid in tax collection (although it effectively acts in a broader fashion).

So what happens when you remove the tax? It's simple really, the parts of the NFA which the tax has been removed from all fall apart as their only official purpose for existing is to facilitate the collection of said tax. There is plenty of legal precedent, although none of it is at the Supreme Court level. The more significant ones are linked to below.

United States vs Rock Island Armory
    United States vs Dalton (decision based off of US vs RIA)

There are a few more, but they don't (AFAIK) address the tax directly and are mentioned in RIA and Dalton.

Note: Not a lawyer, could be missing something.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    The two things that suck about NFA items are the extreme wait and the $200 tax, most people don't care about the $5 tax. Just trying to get a figure out which is worse for the majority. Form 3's should be instant, but there not. Back in the mid 90's my first Sbr on a form 4 was over a year wait.

koveras225

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Noble County
    The two things that suck about NFA items are the extreme wait and the $200 tax, most people don't care about the $5 tax. Just trying to get a figure out which is worse for the majority. Form 3's should be instant, but there not. Back in the mid 90's my first Sbr on a form 4 was over a year wait.

To me at least, asking which of the two is worse for the majority leads to one conclusion.

You can pay the tax, experience no wait, and leave the NFA standing; or you can eliminate the tax, which is the only leg the NFA stands on, and experience no tax, no registration, and no wait as the result of it bringing the NFA crashing down.

In other words, why would you choose one option (no wait) when the other option (no tax) in this case is effectively all the above?

Now if I were to have to choose on the premise that the lack of tax would not affect the rest of the NFA in any way, I would have to go with the wait as it currently stands. There is no reason for it other than that the NFA is extremely outdated in regards to how it treats transfers. Two hundred dollars is a tough pill to swallow, but I would imagine that for most people it really doesn't mean much more than having to wait another paycheck or two. Which is usually significantly less time than it takes to process a Form 1 or a Form 3 and/or 4.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    To me at least, asking which of the two is worse for the majority leads to one conclusion.

You can pay the tax, experience no wait, and leave the NFA standing; or you can eliminate the tax, which is the only leg the NFA stands on, and experience no tax, no registration, and no wait as the result of it bringing the NFA crashing down.

In other words, why would you choose one option (no wait) when the other option (no tax) in this case is effectively all the above?

Now if I were to have to choose on the premise that the lack of tax would not affect the rest of the NFA in any way, I would have to go with the wait as it currently stands. There is no reason for it other than that the NFA is extremely outdated in regards to how it treats transfers. Two hundred dollars is a tough pill to swallow, but I would imagine that for most people it really doesn't mean much more than having to wait another paycheck or two. Which is usually significantly less time than it takes to process a Form 1 or a Form 3 and/or 4.

This thread was just hypothetical, I realize all that you stated above as do some, informative but this is just to see what part you would eliminate "IF" you could. Kind of like asking a gun nut without cash or a good job if he would rather buy the pre 86 M16 or MP5. ;)

Sparky03

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Lebanon IN
    Their should be a fast track to buy nfa stuff so lets say it cost 200 right now for NFA tax well that 10,000 mg that you have just bought and now waiting on if you could pay 400.00tax and take it 2 weeks.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    This thread was just hypothetical, I realize all that you stated above as do some, informative but this is just to see what part you would eliminate "IF" you could. Kind of like asking a gun nut without cash or a good job if he would rather buy the pre 86 M16 or MP5. ;)

i'll go m16:D

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I would pay the tax for no wait. For one, that means they arent collecting my information (as much). If I am a legal buyer, I dont understand why they need my fingerprints, my photo, and a background check. Two, I just like instant gratification!

Top Bottom