• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    My father in law told me about this ammo they used to make that screeched or whistled as it traveled through the air. It was chambered for 38 special so i know he wasnt thinking of 12 gauge bird bombs or anything. Is this ammo still made or can the bullets be bought anywhere for reloading. Just think it would be fun. I can imagine the ballistics wouldnt be that good but theres already plenty of ammo out there for that. If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction that would be great. He cant remember the name either.

bulletbaron

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Whistling Bullets!

If you have ever been shot at by person(s) who are unfreindly to you, you will immediately notice that there is a sort of "ZIPPFF" as it passes overhead of you, whether it be a 7.62 x 39mm, 38 Special, 9mm round, or what ever, it will IMMEDIATELY get your attention!!!!!!!! As to some company making this as a special round, in 40+ years of being around ammunition, I know of no one, but beleive me, when & if a round ever goes over your head you WILL hear it!!!!!!!

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    Ok here is what ive found. Evidentally he still has a box. Its Super Vel by the H&H cartridge company of Greensburg IN. 110 gr sp in 38 special. Next time im at there place im going to take a look at them. He said something about they were specially designed to rise as they spun for longer distances but had the side effect of whistleing.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Amen!

If you have ever been shot at by person(s) who are unfreindly to you, you will immediately notice that there is a sort of "ZIPPFF" as it passes overhead of you, whether it be a 7.62 x 39mm, 38 Special, 9mm round, or what ever, it will IMMEDIATELY get your attention!!!!!!!! As to some company making this as a special round, in 40+ years of being around ammunition, I know of no one, but beleive me, when & if a round ever goes over your head you WILL hear it!!!!!!!

What he said! :draw:

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I know a guy who shoots 45/70. he loads and casts his own bullets. One of the first bullets he used "whistled" as it went downrange. When he changed bullets the "whistling" stopped. Never figured out why.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    My dad experimented with strange bullets back in the 70's and he made some for fun a few times. I called him and asked and hear is what he told me.

Start drilling holes in your pistol bullets at an angle. The required angle and diameter of the hole will change based on the diameter of the bullet. The angle of the hole is also based on the direction of twist in your barrel. You have to drill it so that the hole is gathering as much air as possible. The goal is to have the hole exit as close to the base of the bullet as possible without compromising the integrity of the bore seal. The starting bullet would preferablely be a hollow point because it gathers more air and focuses it on your hole. He stopped making them because they were very unstable in flight and had no accuracy.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I assume you end up with a hole that is basically "diagonal"? So the hole starts in the center of the tip and then exits left or right?

If that's the case I can see where it would be unstable. What if you drilled two holes, one to each side? I wonder if that would offset enough to keep the flight of the bullet stable.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I would imagine that any holes you would drill to make a sound would affect the flight and stability in one way or annother.
    If you think about it the sound is caused by vibration. In this case it would be the vibration of the air/bullet as the air flows around and into the proposed hole. This would have to cause friction and even a tiny bit of instability. I would say at the worst it would cause the bullet to fly more like a second grader trying to throw a football.
    At best, I would think it would only be a little unstable.
    As for it giving lift and distance, I cannot see how that would happen. I am by no means an engineer, but it would be far from a fixed wing airplane setup, and if it gave it lift wouldn't it also affect windage?
    I don't know just a few thoughts.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    PMC used to make them

PMC used to make these. Theory was that they would actually cut a "plug" out of the bad guy that wouldn't allow the bleeding to stop quickly. I gues that is unless you had a couple of corks......:D

Top Bottom