• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Here's something you don't see every day.

I think $0.8 Million dollars is a little extreme in this case.

Plus that sum falls on the taxpayers' shoulders, not the person doing the discriminating.

Ecorse police officer says he didn't get promotion because he's white, wins $869,000 suit

Timothy Sassak says he was the victim of reverse discrimination, passed over for a promotion in the Ecorse police department because he is white.

A jury agreed, awarding Sassak $869,000 last week, according to the News-Herald.

In the lawsuit, Sassak alleged the city lowered it's testing requirements to allow a black corporal to receive a promotion Sassak was seeking.
    NewsHerald.com, Nov. 14: While national standards dictate that the cutoff for a passing score is 70, city officials upped the score initially to 90 and then lowered it slightly to just below the score of a black corporal they wanted to promote, according to Sassak’s attorney, Amos Williams.

That corporal, Gregory Blade, was allowed to leave the testing location with the exam for two hours and turn it in later, while everyone else had to complete the test on site, Williams said.
    Sassak's attorney says his client was disciplined several times after complaining within the department but was willing to settle with the city before the case went to trial.

“I told the city to give my client $30,000 and the next promotion to sergeant and we’ll be done,” Amos Williams told the News-Herald. “By the time we got back to my office, the city said, ‘No, we withdraw.’ So we went to trial … and the jury awarded him $869,000.”

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I'm glad he won. I'm getting a bit tired of questions about my gender and ethnicity and if I feel I'm a diversity candidate when I send my resume to places online. I don't disclose on those questions but the fact that it is being asked is wrong IMO.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There's no such thing as "reverse discrimination". It's just "discrimination". Stupid "journalists".

BlueSmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    reverse discrimination

–noun the unfair treatment of members of majority groups resulting from preferential policies, as in college admissions or employment, intended to remedy earlier discrimination against minorities.

Origin:
    1965–70
    thinsp.png

Reverse discrimination Definition | Definition of Reverse discrimination at Dictionary.com

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Glad to see this. White males get the shaft more than anyone.

If I was black I would find affirmative action racist because it says I can't get a job cuz I'm black so I need a law to protect me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Glad for this guy, but I wouldn't expect this pattern to continue.

I think it's been well-established in recent history that hard work, merit, and suitability for advancement don't mean a thing anymore, but rather: how much melanin is present in your dermis?

Still, it's good to finally win one.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Bit off topic but still relevant, I remember back in school our basket ball team was one of the best. Another school refused to play our team because they didn't want to be humiliated. That was their coaches words. Anyway our coach agreed to terms of play where our team wouldn't run, but walk to the whole game. Our team still won.
    Now here's what I'm thinking, if a team beat me after they handicapped themselves I would be even more humiliated than if they had just beat me fair and square no matter the score. As it's been stated before, if you're black guy that got the promotion how little self worth must you feel to except the promotion? Really? Or are you eager to get "whitey" back that you just don't care how you do it?
    Oh well to each their own.
    And ya, it's about time we saw something like this.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    On a related note I just heard that the group of firefighters that were denied
    advancement by the city because they were "not minorities" won their
    lawsuit and have been granted their lieutenant and captain status.

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP)-- A federal judge has ordered Connecticut officials to promote 14 firefighters who won a reverse discrimination case in a landmark ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court.
    U.S. District Judge Janet Bond Arterton ruled Tuesday that the civil rights of white New Haven firefighters were violated when city officials threw out the results of a 2003 promotion exam when too few minorities did well.
    Her ruling followed the Supreme Court's instructions.
    In 2006, Arterton had thrown out the white firefighters' lawsuit. A federal appeals court upheld her decision before the Supreme Court overturned both rulings in June.
    City spokeswoman Jessica Mayorga said Tuesday that New Haven intends to promote the firefighters "as soon as practicable."
    Six firefighters are set to be promoted to captain and eight to lieutenant.
    The case became an issue in confirmation hearings for Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor. She ruled against the firefighters when she was a federal appeals court judge.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What you guys are forgetting is that it's whiteys fault the black guy couldn't pass the test. We put him in a disadvantaged school and distracted him with pop culture so he couldn't get a decent education. Didn't you know it was a conspiracy by us to keep him down? Of course he doesn't lose self esteem for being able to cheat.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    What you guys are forgetting is that it's whiteys fault the black guy couldn't pass the test. We put him in a disadvantaged school and distracted him with pop culture so he couldn't get a decent education. Didn't you know it was a conspiracy by us to keep him down? Of course he doesn't lose self esteem for being able to cheat.

Don't forget about the government flooding inner-city black communities with drugs:rolleyes:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    On a related note I just heard that the group of firefighters that were denied
    advancement by the city because they were "not minorities" won their
    lawsuit and have been granted their lieutenant and captain status.

You don't have to look in New Haven to find this.... It happened here in Indy as well, slightly different case but overall same principal. Several (umpteen) Firefighters were passed on a test score list to get a minority and promote them instead.

So now what is the city to do? Promote um-teen Lt. when there is only positions for a few, or demote someone you already promoted. :dunno:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    You don't have to look in New Haven to find this.... It happened here in Indy as well, slightly different case but overall same principal. Several (umpteen) Firefighters were passed on a test score list to get a minority and promote them instead.

So now what is the city to do? Promote um-teen Lt. when there is only positions for a few, or demote someone you already promoted. :dunno:

If they did not deserve it on the basis of merit then my answer is a big YES demote them.
    Sucks to be them. Try harder next time.

Top Bottom