• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'm a little confused about this... it appears to be a double standard.

White Philly officer told to get rid of cornrows - Weird news- msnbc.com

msnbc.com staff and news service reports
    updated 55 minutes ago

PHILADELPHIA - Police in Philadelphia say a white officer who came to work with cornrows was ordered by a black superior to get a haircut because the braids violated department standards.
    The Philadelphia Daily News reported Monday that Officer Thomas Strain was put on desk duty this month because of the braids, even though the paper reported dozens of black officers wear cornrows.
    "They pulled him out of roll call and took him right up to the inspector's office," said an officer who asked to remain anonymous.

Reached last week, Strain declined to comment to the paper about the hair hubbub.
    'Professional' look
    Police spokesman Lt. Frank Vanore says Strain's boss told the officer to cut his hair to look more "professional."
    Vanore says officers' hats must fit "in a military manner" over their hair, and that Strain's hat did not. Strain got a haircut; he declined comment to the paper.
    Interviewed by the Daily News, Vanore said he couldn't explain why black officers with cornrows weren't ordered to get haircuts — unless they're women. The policy for female officers is slightly more permissive, he said.
    Friends, according to the newspaper, described Strain as a hardworking cop who hails from a family of police officers and who adores police work.
    The former Marine served in Iraq, where he twice survived explosions when his Hummer hit roadside bombs in 2006, co-workers said.
    "He's a guy that, when things go bad, you want him there," the officer told the paper.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    While I understand the point...THIS is NOT a good look.

090922-cornrows-vmed-7a.widec.jpg

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    He obviously didn't have the correct gang tatoos or piercings. His supervisor recognized him as a gangsta wannabe and immediately put an end to this guys dreams.
    The real cornrow crowd will redouble their efforts to be more individualist as they all adopt the same look.:rolleyes:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I smell a law suit brewing... one must wonder if he did it to make a point

I'm fairly certain he did. Mayor Nutjob is a blatant racist, and black officers have been making things miserable for white officers in that dept for quite some time. The double standards are reportedly extreme.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    So are black officers allowed to have corn roles?

If so, that is complete horse :poop: and LOL at Philly and how pathetically unprofessional they look.

If not, I don't see the big deal in making him get rid of them...That is horrible.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    So are black officers allowed to have corn roles?

If so, that is complete horse :poop: and LOL at Philly and how pathetically unprofessional they look.

If not, I don't see the big deal in making him get rid of them...That is horrible.

They aren't allowed to. Saw it more than once, though. Most don't. It's an unprofessional look, IMHO.

Top Bottom