White River Broadcasting edits Bite the Bullet Ad and more!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BTBguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jackson County
    Everyone,

I would like to address an issue that recently came to light regarding the liberal media and their attempt to steer their agenda on all of us. As many of you know my wife and I own Bite The Bullet in Seymour Indiana, as a small business that’s in a somewhat remote area we recently decided to expand our advertising to promote the shop.

We contacted White River Broadcasting and came to an agreement to purchase some advertising time and we came up with an ad to run that featured my wife narrating a spoof of an “invest in gold” commercial. The commercial says that if you are scarred about the unstable economy and your hard earned savings shrinking to nothing that you should invest in guns from Bite the Bullet. The tag line at the end of the commercial is “Listen to that…(sound of pump action racking)…That’s the sound of security from Bite the Bullet”. That commercial ran last weekend on two of White River Broadcasting’s stations and during the first hour of Rush Limbaugh for the past two weeks. On Wednesday of this week we were informed that our commercial had been edited at the request of the Station Manager. It wasn’t until after they collected our money, sent us the ad to approve, and ran the ad for a week that they then decided to inform me that they edited out the tag line that included the sound of the shotgun being racked because it was “antagonistic”.

You can imagine how frustrated I was when I initially found out about them editing my ad. I took the night to think about how to proceed as White River Broadcasting is scheduled to do a live feed at the Grand Opening of our new shop, tomorrow, July 21st. I decided to contact my sales rep at White River and discuss the matter. He talked with the Station Manager this morning and not only did they stick by the decision to edit my original ad but they also informed me that especially in light of the horrible shooting in Colorado I could not mention the following: home defense, personal protection, defense, or protection of any form with a firearm or they wouldn’t be able to air any material containing the above. They told us that their attorney had weighed in on things and supported the decision.

I was faced with a difficult choice. We’re big supporters of the 1st and 2nd amendment and thought their censorship was strictly their management’s/attorney’s attempt at interjecting their own opinions on the matter. We initially wanted to cancel their contract and receive a refund but with them providing a live feed tomorrow I made the choice to continue as planned and get this information out to the public. I hope that those of you that are able to come to our Grand Opening of our new shop tomorrow will voice your opinion to White River Broadcasting and vote with your radio dials. We are unable to support a business with such views and will be ending our relationship with them shortly and have already deleted them from our radio presets.

Sincerely,

Mark Hopkins

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Did your contract give them the right to edit the copy of the ad?

If not, I say small claims might be worthwhile.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you're talking about WCSI and that bunch, it's no big loss. I don't know anyone who listens to any of their stations, anyway.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I'm up near Kokomo, but you got my support. Hope your live feed goes well. I also hope that many of our southern members stop by to express their opinion, during your Grand Opening live feed. The station cannot shut down everyone's free speech.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I would sue them for a refund. If you want to wait until after the live feed, that's ok; but it sounds like theyve engaged in breach of contract to me.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    You guys have always done great by me when I have been in at your store on a weekly Basis so I will make sure to be at the grand opening of the store if possible if not I will at least stop by on my way to work, if you want make a some car decals for advertising and I would be happy to put them on my vehicles to help make up for the advertising loss with with white river broadcasting.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Sent E-mail to WRB expressing displeasure. Everyone should contact them and let them see just how many people they could be alienating. They probably figured no one would know. Get the word out. If you have Facebook accounts post the story on there. Get as many people as you can to repost it. Print a large flier and hang it prominently in your shop. Let everyone know just where their local radio station stands in position to our rights and freedoms.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    If everyone or 51% believes what the media says, then we're in trouble. That's how the UK passed their gun control, if it will save one child, they just kept narrowing it down more and more until they can't have a box cutter and be searched at any time, with no reason at all. Now crime is way up and the criminals own the streets, law abiding citizens are scared and helpless.
    That guy was the 'Joker' all right. SAD...

There is a you-tube video out there with a little old lady beating up these thieves with her purse after they robbed a jewelry store, the poor store owner was just helpless and delusional.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySBxMMidbEg[/ame]

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Technically, it's not censorship. Private busineeses contracting for advertising is not a 1st Amendment issue. They don't have to take the ad and you don't have to use them.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Technically, it's not censorship. Private busineeses contracting for advertising is not a 1st Amendment issue. They don't have to take the ad and you don't have to use them.
    Not 1st Amendment, but cold be breach of contract. You pay for a service. That service is not given as spelled out in the contract. All depends upon how the thing is written.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you go ahead with the grand opening live feed, you probably wont get jack back. You already know now about what they did Wednesday, continuing the relationship shows a judge or mediator that you are kind of OK with that.

I'd call a lawyer right now and ask him or her if you should allow the Live Feed to proceed. Giving a station carte blanche to edit the ads you paid for is unacceptable.

Make a load of stink about this.

BTBguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jackson County
    live feed

The live feed will be from 11am to 1pm. I will not ask for a refund for anything that has been done already or tomorrow. After tomorrow I will end all dealing with White River. I will consiter the cost to be the price of a leason learned.

Sean

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Not 1st Amendment, but cold be breach of contract. You pay for a service. That service is not given as spelled out in the contract. All depends upon how the thing is written.

Not a 1st amendment issue between BTB and the radio station but it is a first amendment issue that the radio station doesn't feel they can air that due to the legalities involved. The radio station is either being led that way by their legal department or a manager, they obviously have the protection under the first amendment to air the ad as described but have made the choice not to do so and tell BTB it's a legal issue.

Sean

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    If you go ahead with the grand opening live feed, you probably wont get jack back. You already know now about what they did Wednesday, continuing the relationship shows a judge or mediator that you are kind of OK with that.

I'd call a lawyer right now and ask him or her if you should allow the Live Feed to proceed. Giving a station carte blanche to edit the ads you paid for is unacceptable.

Make a load of stink about this.

I'm sure it will be a prorated refund anyway unless Mark really wanted to make a case out of it and depending on the contract it might be hard to make and cost more than it's worth. I'm happy Mark made the issue public and will pay a few hundred more so that people can tell WRB how they feel face to face.

Top Bottom