• Do you carry a back up gun?

• Total voters

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Curious to see how many people carry a back up gun....how often....and if you would like to add what your BUG is. Me...while it depends on my attire and what I will be doing and where I will be. But I would say I have a BUG 75% of time...more than that in winter just because it so much easier to carry a second...or third :)

I like to carry my LCR 357 or my Kahr cm9 as my bug.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    No I do not. Actually I can't carry most of the time anyway because of work. I do carry a J-frame with me around the house and when not at work. I am considering getting a better ankle holster so that it would be easier to carry it as a true BUG. But truthfully with all of the other stuff I carry in my pockets, I am just not excited about carrying another gun on my person.

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    While on duty I carry an S&W 642 in a fobus ankle rig, off duty I usually dont carry a BUG.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    2 Glocks, and at least 1 spare mag. If OCing, I'll always have a 2nd, if CCing, its just so easy to make habit, that the pocket Glock stays. Maybe 2% of the time requires deep concealmwnt, in those rare instances just one.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I had to go dumpster diving one night when Mrs. Ortega decided that some of the stuff she had me throw away from the garage attic was a terrible mistake. We had dumped it at our plumbing shop in a not-so-good-at-night part of town. Since I would be in the dumpster late at night in the semi-dark I put my G23 on my hip and then the G27 on my ankle. The nice thing was I had a 15 round spare mag that would fit both guns if need be.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    In the fall and winter I will throw my J-frame into my coat pocket as a BUG just because it would be faster to acquire as I can have my hand on the weapon while in my pocket. The rest of the year I have too much crap in my pockets to fit a BUG somewhere.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    IMO, if you feel the need to have a backup gun then you are not confident enough in your skills, training, and primary weapon's reliability to begin with. I agree that you can never have too much training and there is ALWAYS room for improvement of skill, however if you take your safety seriously enough to carry a gun to begin with, then you should be reasonably confident enough in your skills to put your life on them just as much as the gun. If not, then no number of guns is going to make up a difference for lack of training/skill in a real life situation. Additionally, one shouldn't put their life on the line with a gun if they don't feel confident enough in its reliability to begin with. If they plan on its failure, then they are to some extent not confident in its reliability anyhow and should find a better weapon ASAP or train with it MUCH, MUCH more to build more confidence in that weapon.:twocents:

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Well, that's the thing about opinions...everybody has one.
    Indeed, but pointing out the obvious doesn't collaborate in to more effective/efficient methods. So, why not point out the true reasons of disagreement? Without discussion, we wouldn't have mathematics, physics, astronomy, or pretty much anything in our modern world.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    IMO, if you feel the need to have a backup gun then you are not confident enough in your skills, training, and primary weapon's reliability to begin with. I agree that you can never have too much training and there is ALWAYS room for improvement of skill, however if you take your safety seriously enough to carry a gun to begin with, then you should be reasonably confident enough in your skills to put your life on them just as much as the gun. If not, then no number of guns is going to make up a difference for lack of training/skill in a real life situation. Additionally, one shouldn't put their life on the line with a gun if they don't feel confident enough in its reliability to begin with. If they plan on its failure, then they are to some extent not confident in its reliability anyhow and should find a better weapon ASAP or train with it MUCH, MUCH more to build more confidence in that weapon.:twocents:

Ever hear the quote: "Two is one, and one is none"? A BUG isn't primarily for if you can't hit what you're shooting at with your primary; it's for those emergencies when your primary isn't available to you - for whatever reason.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Ever hear the quote: "Two is one, and one is none"? A BUG isn't primarily for if you can't hit what you're shooting at with your primary; it's for those emergencies when your primary isn't available to you - for whatever reason.
    I understand that, but I fail to see where/how it would become unavailable to you? The only thing I can think of is some idiot attempting to remove it from me and miraculously succeeding. With proper training, gear selection, etc that isn't likely for anyone. I hate to play the "what if" game, but if you can point out a likely instance of other sorts that a secondary would come into play in the civilian world, I'm all ears. I'm always looking at better methods to prepare, train, etc. but I'm fairly confident in my training, abilities, and retention plan/gear to not allow a random grab and so I don't include that as a part of my personal preparation plan(s). Yet, that is why we are all here....to learn and improve.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Indeed, but pointing out the obvious doesn't collaborate in to more effective/efficient methods. So, why not point out the true reasons of disagreement? Without discussion, we wouldn't have mathematics, physics, astronomy, or pretty much anything in our modern world.

Well, there would be several valid reasons to carry a back-up gun. The most obvious is failure of your primary weapon. While I agree that reliability should be tested and tested again before choosing your weapon, failures do indeed happen with well tested equipment. We jumped with a reserve chute, would you go without one?

An unlikely but plausible scenario (amongst the already unlikely scenarii requiring you to employ your primary weapon) where a secondary weapon could come into play is walking into your house to find a family member already held hostage by more than one home invaders. It is likely that a primary weapon carried on the hip, concealed or unconcealed, will be taken from you. I suspect you won't even resist, if your loved one is actively being threatened at that time. It is marginally less likely that a deep concealed second gun would be suspected and taken.

Having two is better than having one, especially when there is no particular downside to carrying the BUG.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Well, there would be several valid reasons to carry a back-up gun. The most obvious is failure of your primary weapon. While I agree that reliability should be tested and tested again before choosing your weapon, failures do indeed happen with well tested equipment. We jumped with a reserve chute, would you go without one?

An unlikely but plausible scenario (amongst the already unlikely scenarii requiring you to employ your primary weapon) where a secondary weapon could come into play is walking into your house to find a family member already held hostage by more than one home invaders. It is likely that a primary weapon carried on the hip, concealed or unconcealed, will be taken from you. I suspect you won't even resist, if your loved one is actively being threatened at that time. It is marginally less likely that a deep concealed second gun would be suspected and taken.

Having two is better than having one, especially when there is no particular downside to carrying the BUG.

That is an excellent example that I had not previously considered. It doesn't hold much weight for me personally because all in my household know where available firearms are located and carry themselves, but it is still a good point.

I don't "bash" those who choose to carry a secondary at all. It all depends on personal choice, planning, training, etc and I certainly don't "teach" anyone either way is the "best" or "proper" method either. I just personally, have not thought of a scenario where I personally, would need it enough to include it in my plans.

The best scenario I have come up with is being involved in a hostage situation (which is even MORE unlikely) and have the ability to make two armed good guys rather than just me alone. I carried a secondary for about a year or so, but found it simply more uncomfortable than the added "security" was worth. But, that again is just my personal preference.

After hearing you example I think I will use it more when helping people make appropriate decisions for themselves because it gives a lot to think about even if I don't personally choose to do so. :yesway::yesway::yesway:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    On that note....who makes good and COMFORTABLE ankle holsters? I had a BUG for about a year, but didn' really experiment with different holsters much.

Top Bottom