• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Just curious, who else out there loves car dealers! They offer such great service and stand behind their products so well! I just love how I was able to drive off the lot with a nice used pickup and not 400 miles and 1 month TO THE DAY I roll off the lot, injection pump goes out! Im asked if I was offered an extended warranty? NO! Oh well since you don't have an extended warranty we will try and help you out, just bring us the truck. Ok truck wont start, so load it on the back of our rollback and bring it down for their diagnostic (Its not hard to know whats wrong with it). "hi this is joe shmo from XXXXX dealer, repair is going to be 3100$ but we will pay half thats the best we can do"

If I was to do the repair myself, it would be 1000 for a new pump from a reputable company, their price for the same reman pump? 2500$$!!!!!! dealer up the roads price? 2100!!!! Price for the EXACT SAME THING FROM TURBO DIESEL & INJECTION INDY??? 980$!!!!!!

Also, I would be charged because my fuel is gelled because THEY LEFT THE TRUCK OUTSIDE!!!! Not my fault they screwed up my fuel!

"we brought the truck in and it wouldnt start because it needed addative and thats an extra XX$"
    IT WONT START BECAUSE THE INJECTION PUMP IS OUT!!! AND THE FUEL IS GELLED!!!! HERP DERP!

Sorry, rant over. No idea how this is going to turn out. I will never buy a vehicle from a dealer ever again. So much for standing behind their products. I am not one to complain about things, as I try to do things myself, know risks involved, etc, but this is ridiculous. Who else is having a great morning?! :D

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, my mom was taking her car to the dealer for oil changes until I helped her notice how much she was paying, how long it took, and golly gee, every time it was in there, there was something else wrong that needed to be fixed. I don't think I've ever taken one to a dealer except for a recall once. Otherwise, yeah, do it myself or a trusted mechanic; I even have the ODB2 scanner.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Ill reveal the name once its all over with, just in case. I usually do use craigslist, but this was exactly what I was looking for at the right time.

I used an OBII scanner to find out what the issue was myself. When the pump went out, I was coming home FROM THE DEALER who fixed the parking brake that was broken and they agreed to fix when I bought it.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I inherited my grandmother's car and receipts when she couldn't drive any more. That dealer certainly saw her coming a mile away. She had oil changes every 2000 miles, new brakes probably every 7000 miles. Lots of new batteries. I'm pretty sure they charged her for tires and left the old ones on there (bald and old). And the brakes were ancient, so I bet they cheated her on that as well.

They did nothing for the broken CV boots, timing belt that was overdue for replacement, leaking valve cover gasket. She wasted thousands of dollars maintaining this car and it was in terrible condition by the time I got it.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    One of the downfalls of a diesel truck. The injector pump goes out (and it will) 1-3 thousand smackeroos for that fix. Fuel pump for my gasoline Tahoe costs $50-80 (plus labor for those that cant do it themselves). If "you" dont have to have a diesel truck (for moving heavy loads) then why go down that Injector Pump Bill road? If you have to have a diesel truck....plan on very large repair bills atleast 1-2 times during ownership of the truck.
    They dont call them stealerships for nothing!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    One of the downfalls of a diesel truck. The injector pump goes out (and it will) 1-3 thousand smackeroos for that fix. Fuel pump for my gasoline Tahoe costs $50-80 (plus labor for those that cant do it themselves). If "you" dont have to have a diesel truck (for moving heavy loads) then why go down that Injector Pump Bill road? If you have to have a diesel truck....plan on very large repair bills atleast 1-2 times during ownership of the truck.
    They dont call them stealerships for nothing!

I'd love to own a diesel and admit that I have no practical "need" for one, I don't even own a trailer nor anything that I could haul on one other than my Jeep. That said, why is a diesel pump so much more expensive than a gasoline?

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I'd love to own a diesel and admit that I have no practical "need" for one, I don't even own a trailer nor anything that I could haul on one other than my Jeep. That said, why is a diesel pump so much more expensive than a gasoline?

The injector pump does so much more than a fuel pump, and at much higher pressures. Instead of air and fuel being mixed in an intake manifold, the injector pump has to not only keep time of 4 (or 6 or 8 etc.) cylinders, but it has to pressurize fuel at 2,000 psi+ to directly inject fuel into the cylinder. Diesels also don't have electronic ignition systems because they run off compression ignition. So the injector pump is also basically the distributor for the diesel as well. Because of all that it has many more machined and matched parts than an average fuel pump in your gas tank. All that coupled together equals a hefty price tag for when it fails, and it eventually will, some much faster than others depending on how you care for your fuel system.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Just got a 2011 chevy from Hare.... Zero complaints. Got the silver warranty, don't have to worry about paying for pretty much anything expensive for a while.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The injector pump does so much more than a fuel pump, and at much higher pressures. Instead of air and fuel being mixed in an intake manifold, the injector pump has to not only keep time of 4 (or 6 or 8 etc.) cylinders, but it has to pressurize fuel at 2,000 psi+ to directly inject fuel into the cylinder. Diesels also don't have electronic ignition systems because they run off compression ignition. So the injector pump is also basically the distributor for the diesel as well. Because of all that it has many more machined and matched parts than an average fuel pump in your gas tank. All that coupled together equals a hefty price tag for when it fails, and it eventually will, some much faster than others depending on how you care for your fuel system.

I had no idea, thanks for the education!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We bought our X5 back in July from Ray Skillman on the east side. We agreed to buy it if they did some work to it and included a cargo cover for the "trunk" part. They agreed and we signed for it.

They somehow got the wrong cover but called us and said they had it. We get the SUV there and he tried to put it in, shrugged his shoulders and said he tried. I told them to have fun getting the correct cover. 3 months later he finally had the cover he ordered off Ebay. Side note, when I called 2 or 3 weeks before he had it, he said he would order it off Ebay the following day during business hours.:rolleyes:

I have fun playing their games but enjoy dealing with sales people that don't play the games. Richard Pasco in Greenfield sold me my only new car and he was an awesome sales person (Russ Dellen), only other car dealer I haven't had any issues with is Freddy at Coast to Coast.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have bought the majority on our vehicles from 2 guys I went to school with. They get me what I want for a really fair price and I have only had 1 issue that really set me off and that was service dpt. related.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The only reason I go to car dealerships is to cash in on those flyers that you get in the mail where you win $2. They are usually on my way somewhere so I'll just swing in. The last time I did one I told the guy I had a 2007 and he said "Wow, it's time for an upgrade!". I laughed out loud. A 6 year old vehicle and he acted like it was 20 years old.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I have some strict rules when working with car dealers.

1. Do plenty of research about what I want to buy before talking to anyone so I know exactly what I want and what its worth.

2. I know exactly how much total money I am willing to spend out of pocket for this deal. I don't care what your fees are. I don't care how you add it up. The total cost is the total cost, period.

3. I do my own due diligence inspecting and testing the vehicle, whatever that may involve. If I screw that up or there is an unforeseen problem after the sale, it's on me. I don't buy any kind of extended warranty from the same place I buy the car.

4. I give them my terms on the deal and I give them exactly 3 chances to meet those terms. These terms will not change. If they do not meet those terms after 3 tries, I walk. If they take more than an hour to accomplish those 3 tries, I walk. Using up your time is a common tactic dealers will use to "wear you down".

5. I sign NOTHING until they show me a deal that meets my terms. If they will not negotiate without a signature, I walk.

6. I will not inform the dealer about my rules. If they can't or won't abide by them, I don't want to deal with them anyway.

These are not unreasonable rules but you would be surprised how many dealers refuse to abide by them. Its never been a real problem though. There are way too many places available to buy a car.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Update: Told me they had the pump available earlier, when I throw out another offer, 5 days to get a pump. Ended up bringing them a pump and they are installing it eating the labor, but I bought the pump. Really taking advantage of me needing the truck back asap, though I never told them that or referenced OR sales saw that they come out ahead only paying for labor. We shall see what they charge me for once its done… Its coming out 250$ cheaper than if they provided the pump. Least I have a dealer to go back in if they installed it wrong, which I wouldn't put it past them being a dealer. I still can't believe they wanted to charge me for fuel addative because they were dumb enough to leave it out in -18 and without the heater plugged in. Blows my mind.

OH! Who gets gap insurance? Isnt gap insurance great!? It does so much to help!

Ive been decently happy with the truck up until this point. It gets 22mpgs, 8 better than any of my jeeps.

Top Bottom