• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgarst

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2012
    Tipton
    I have a Saiga 7.62 rifle. I have bought all the conversion parts required. I am a little nervous to go at this alone. Is there anyone near Kokomo area or maybe Noblesville area, that would be willing to lend me a hand so I don't screw anything up? I've read everything on the steps and details, I just am not real confident to start drilling into my gun. I've never done any major modifications like this and don't wanna ruin anything.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    yup. Come along for the Ak extravaganza. I think at least 50% of the people there have done a few.

my most recent.

picture.php

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I did my Saiga 12, which wasn't too bad, with the help of youtube, and a dremel.

The rifles require a bullet guide though; make sure you have a good drill bit.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The biggest problem I think most have with the conversion is tapping the hole for the screw that holds the bullet guide. A lot of guys snap the tap off in that hole. I think the reason is that there is part of the receiver behind that hole and they run the tap through the hole and up against the receiver and try to keep going further.

Before tapping that hole, put a toothpick into it and mark how deep you can go before running into the receiver. Then transfer that mark to the tap so if you feel it tightening up as you near that mark, you will know that you are up against the receiver.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I did a 5.45x39 about a year ago. I did a complete full blown conversion and don't regret it. I did all the work myself, but I have a fabrication shop so welding and press work was no problem. In the end, I had about $750 in the entire conversion. I replaced the gas block and sight block. I welded all the extra holes shut. I welded the trigger guard to the mag release like it is supposed to be. Then Duracoated everything when I was done. Probably my favorite gun that I own.

I don't have any full rifle photos on this computer, but here is an "artsy" photo of the gun.

ProductSamplePhoto_-3.jpg

brrytrry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    I've done a 7.62x39 and a Saiga 12. The bullet guide in the 7.62 is the hardest part but its a good excuse to by a decent table top drill like I did. Nothing fancy just a Ryobi from home depot. It will also help when you drill out the rivets holding the hand guard on. Just make sure when you do the bullet guide to take your time, use a punch to mark the spot you will drill and use some cutting oil.

jgarst

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2012
    Tipton
    I would like to go to the AK build party, but I think I will be working...I do have access to a drill press, so maybe I will use that. The only part I am really worried about is the bullet guide part. If I can't find anyone within half hour drive or so to help, I think I will try my hand at it. I have been watching the videos, it seems pretty straight forward.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom