• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Is this not the suckiest flu bug ever? I rarely get sick, and if I do, it's short-lived, and not enough to keep me from going on about my business.
    Friday started out with a headache, body aches, cold chills. Saturday afternoon it all seemed better, at least 95% gone. Woke up early Sunday AM with severe pain in my throat and ears. Back to the cold chills. I slept almost all day. I never sleep in the day unless I am really sick. Still exhausted. Weird how I felt better Saturday, like the eye of the hurricane or something! Anyone else?
    And I am so :xmad: that I didn't get to go out shooting Saturday when it was warm and sunny, but probably best I didn't!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Yes, A strain. Tamiflu knocked the fever out within 36 hours, but it zapped my energy in a way that I haven't experienced in years; not even H1N1 knocked me out like this one did though I was pretty exhausted from work. Don't know where I picked it up, but somehow avoided giving it to the wife & kids; they got the same thing a month later but thankfully all were more mild than mine.

Had the bad cold that looked like flu but wasn't a month prior, which lead to sinus blockage and gave me an ear infection for the first time since I was a kid.

Really getting tired of this winter's illnesses.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not sure what I had. Just... clogged sinuses. Not much coughing, just dry throat. Don't think I ever got the fever with it. Lasted a couple days... although the mucus lasted a couple weeks.

Daily zicam and whiskey knocked it out.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

Are you suggesting the whiskey was only added during the illness?

i've thought strep should be cured by gargling vodka. Studies show abx are pointless in America for strep throat. Try telling that to a patient though....

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Are you suggesting the whiskey was only added during the illness?

i've thought strep should be cured by gargling vodka. Studies show abx are pointless in America for strep throat. Try telling that to a patient though....

I think we know from INGO anti-vaxxers that patients always know what's best. How dare you try to tell people how to heal. It's almost like you doctors went to school to learn about biology and chemistry, then spent years in residency and fellowships, with the end result that you know better than us patients with our access to Google and pseudoscience how to treat illness. Friggin' government shills.

As to the OP...I had it, but I didn't have the option to stay in bed so I just soldiered through with the help of Tylenol and ibuprofen. It was harder on my eldest kid compared to the rest of the family though. Her fever didn't break until the 5th day or so.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Not sure what I had. Just... clogged sinuses. Not much coughing, just dry throat. Don't think I ever got the fever with it. Lasted a couple days... although the mucus lasted a couple weeks.

I had that around October.... Sinus clogged when I would lay down to sleep and it would wake me up every day at like 4 am with a pounding headache.
    I had to sleep setting up to get any rest, it lasted about 3 weeks. Weird.

I can't recall the last time I had the flu.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Really?

Why is that?

:popcorn:

Misuse of antibiotics leads to their ineffectiveness when they are prescribed properly.

People tend to stop taking them as soon as they start feeling better instead of finishing the regimen. They will also take the 'leftovers' for any other little sniffle they develop, most of which aren't even treatable with ABX.

This is how common bacteria become resistant to common antibiotics.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Really?

Why is that?

Abx are given to reduce incidence of rheumatic fever from strep. They do not reduce abscesses and other complications of strep, including kidney issues. There has been no significant, as in barely any, cases in America since 1960s. In Australia it's more common, but our strep just doesn't cause rheumatic fever.

annually there are estimated 10,000,000 scripts written for pharyngitis in America. TEN MILLION to prevent something that doesn't happen anyway. How many of those people get anaphylaxic to the antibiotic, or kidney failure, or horrible diarrhea, etc.

The estimate is 5 million people need scripts to prevent ONE case of rheumatic heart disease, and it will cause 25,000 severe allergic reactions to stop that one case.

steroids make you feel better with strep. And rest. And snuggles.

https://www.emrap.org/episode/2013/february/penicillinin

Read the comments.

Last edited:

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    It was bad this year, quite a few people I know had it. They all were coughing, sneezing, sore throat, aches, fatigue, cramps, and runny nose. Most had it for about 3-5 weeks overall. I never got it, guess I lucked out.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I just had a sinus infection a couple of weeks ago; that was hard enough on me, pushed my liver off balance. Had to cough up a little drainage, and I was glad that's as far as that went, since anything that gets into my chest leaves me coughing for a few weeks. Has for decades.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I stay isolated pretty well this time of year. I have one employee that I see ~3 times weekly, and I see my wife daily, but other than that I have basically zero human contact from November to the end of February. I stay well most years.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I don't think I've ever had anything that lasted much more then 24 hrs, except for the common cold or a sinus infection. i have to be around people, and my job is on a shipping dock, so there's a big fluctuation in temperature throughout the day, with trucks coming and going.
    This is going to make me crazy. I don't have the energy to cook/clean after struggling through 10 hours at work. Husband is starting to get sick...usually he is first, not me. I guess it's only temporary...

rxer

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    Crown Point
    This year flu is worse than what I've seen in last few years. Back in December was hard to keep Tamiflu in stock, but in last few years haven't had that problem. Doesn't help that Flu shot was only less than 30% effective. I got it and actually had to miss work for 2 days (first time in 12 years). It was a nasty little one!

Top Bottom