• churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Believe me I get it, anything firearms related is expensive. :spend:

Any hobby or passion is expensive these days. If you have to shop in a specialty store for your gear it just costs more.
    Many folks I know have to struggle with overhead. Kids/housing/vehicles and so on. I see this as the reason so many just shoot .22 as it (was...:)) so much less expensive than center fire calibers.
    Ask why someone runs a 9mm and it is seldom a reply full of ballistic info. Most always "It is so cheap to shoot" is the answer.
    Even fishing can break a budget.

kml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    United States
    For a primary rifle, the AR doesn't really interest me. I don't see me needing to take down swarms of zombies in the near future and beyond a sling and maybe a scope I don't accessorize my guns. I feel my M1 Garand does everything I need it to. I would have rather had an M1A but the CMP made it hard to say no to the Garand.

That said, I just bought my first AR about a month ago. I had been looking for a pistol caliber carbine with thoughts of a suppressor in the future and wasn't finding much I liked. Ended up buying a Daniel Defense DDM4V7 in 300 blackout instead and have been happy with it so far. Actually having a suppressor for it would make me even happier I think. I look at it as a pistol replacement rather than a rifle though.

I'm of the few guns, few calibers and learn how to use them well mindset so I don't add something new unless I think there's a good reason. I've used M16/M4's off and on for over 20yrs and while I don't hate it like some, I personally think there are better choices than 5.56 for a rifle round.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    It's been an interesting thread so far. With a user name like 223 Gunner, you could say I've owned a few. Still own a few. I like my AK's also, and my M1A's.
    I can't see myself never owning one, there is just so much you can do with them, and as far as ammo being too expensive, cut out other habits, like eating.
    I don't spend money on much of anything else anyway, and realistically I only make it to the range between 4 and 6 times a year. I have one I was thinking about selling, but I may just buy some Magpul Muddy Girl furniture for it and give it to my youngest daughter for her upcoming 19th birthday. Of my 3 kids, she shows the most interest in shooting. For her 17th birthday I bought her a Sig Mosquito with the pink frame and she loves it.

Anyway we all have our various reasons for and against, thus far the "arguments" have been fairly accurate. It is a weak round compared to 7.62x51, it's also cheaper to shoot than 7.62x51.
    I think once you get under 14.5 with a barrel, you really loose accuracy. Someone else mentioned an AR pistol being loud, yes they are, and they are not accurate either, been there done that.
    Anyway just my .02 for what it's worth, apply purple where you see fit. YMMV

Last edited:

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I built one a year ago, have a bunch of mags for it, and a bunch of ammo... but I've never shot it. So does that count as having it if it's never gotten dirty? Still thinking about selling it... or maybe just selling the upper and keep the lower around (also have an extra stripped lower).

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Had a Colt HBAR, great gun but anemic caliber. I has an SKS but didnt want a AK47 due to stigmatisms. Researched .308 ended up with a FAL. Now I want an AK. So no need for an AR.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I do not have one. I don't like all the plastic/ composite furniture on AR's. I like wood and steel for all of my guns! I would probably buy an AK before buying an AR, ammo is cheaper too anymore.

Mr. Neal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Whoa..! A lot of AR bashing on this thread but a good thread none the less.. I own an AR. Love it. Reliable, accurate and judt gets the job done. People complain about the price of ammo but I wouldn't know. Reloading is the only way to go if you REALLY enjoy shooting more than 100 rounds every once in awhile. I own an AK too and enjoy it very much but it can't compete in accuracy with my AR( that has a red dot with no magnification) that being said my AK has plenty of benefits over the AR but that rants for another thread. I was just msking a point that I play both sides of the field. I just think the BIG AR craze is coming to an end and some people are finding they are losing there luster for the platform but it's a good one never the less... that being said 30 cal is the bees knees in comparison.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I owned an AR at one time. I put it in the safe and forgot about it for a week or so. Next time I opened the safe, there were six of them and one lower assembling itself.

I blame it on nanobots.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I do not have one. I don't like all the plastic/ composite furniture on AR's. I like wood and steel for all of my guns! I would probably buy an AK before buying an AR, ammo is cheaper too anymore.

5.56/223 is running around .31-.35 a round for brass cased vs. .23-.26 a round for 7.62x39. That really isn't too much cheaper. If I can't afford to feed my 5.56s then my I probably can't feed my 7.62x39, and I should find a new hobby.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Mattel made M16s during vietnam I believe...yep.

Urban legend (or the military equivalent). The origin is believed to be guys who complained it looked like a toy due to plastic in places of wood, but Mattel never made the M-16 or parts thereof. It was still prominent when I was in the Army, someone always knew a guy who knew a guy who heard it from a guy that he had a Mattel logo on his hand guards.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had an AR and after it sat in my closet for a year after having fired 50 rounds the motor in my car blew and I needed extra money. I didnt shoot it and it would pay for a motor in my car so I sold it. Havent really missed it much. Every so often I toss around the idea of getting another one. Then I realize that it will sit in my closet and do nothing anyways. I just cant justify it. Especially when I think about how much it costs to shoot one in relation to the 22lr savage, or 9mm glock, or 38 spcl LCR. I mean I know everyone is caught up in the shtf and zombie apocolypse stuff, but ill deal with what I have.

EDIT TO ADD; Not to mention my uncle is loaded and has literally HUNDREDS of guns, including probably 15 ARs. When it becomes his time he has already informed me that I stand to inherit quite the arsenal. So, I guess I can wait.

And because im not mall ninja enough to carry a 74 pound rifle
    mallninja_zpsbdc50623.jpg

Meh....no I-pod or :coffee: maker......WTF.....:dunno:

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    I'm trying to figure out the whole AR15 thing, what with the pomp and hype over who makes the best this or that, honestly of which a lot of it seems to be or posing points, but isn't comparing a well built AR to a AK like comparing a scalpel to a meat cleaver? Accuracy vs brute force?

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Neither an AR or an AK here. I understand their appeal, I've shot a couple different types of AR, but to me, they're kind of like a "Mr. Potato Head" gun. I got a Mini-14 Ranch instead, which I really like. Certainly not as configurable, but it's really easy to tear down and service, and plenty accurate enough for me.

Indy 1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am not totally sure. I have a Mini 14 and a Saiga 762 x 39. I am a big Ruger fan, and I would probably get their AR some day. Its probably because I do not know enough about them. There are so many variables and options, and opinions as to what is best, I have not invested the time to research what is necessary for my tastes. Its like coin collecting. I cant tell the difference between a $800 AR or coin from a $2500 one. I am dissapointed that I did not buy a Doublestar a couple of years ago at the 1500 for 550.00 new. I am sure at that price I wouldnt be getting hurt at all. I just wasnt familiar with them at the time. I did steal a brand new Saiga AK for 290.00 that day though.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Neither an AR or an AK here. I understand their appeal, I've shot a couple different types of AR, but to me, they're kind of like a "Mr. Potato Head" gun. I got a Mini-14 Ranch instead, which I really like. Certainly not as configurable, but it's really easy to tear down and service, and plenty accurate enough for me.
    This is the second time at least I've read about cleaning and maintenance being a negative for the AR. I bet I can tear my AR apart for routine cleaning faster than you can your mini 14. I mean how hard is it to push out a takedown pin, pull out the handle and BCG, then pop out a cotter pin and cam pin? Takes about 15 seconds. I'm not trying to convince anyone that they need an AR, but I laugh at some of these responses though. Especially saying that 30 cal is cheaper to shoot than .223

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not sure where the myth about not a powerful round comes from. Having ran our own non scientific tests in the old farm scrape yard with a .223/5.56 I find they tear the absolute crap out of most anything you shoot. We have popped through block walls with them and cast engine blocks as well. Green tip wears an engine out.
    No, not as much destruction as a .308 in a side by side but any new car with an alloy block/heads will not survive an onslaught from an AR.
    If you are (as so many do) shooting crap A$$ cheap ammo then yeah, they ping off a lot of things. Run some good rounds and see and hear the diff.

Top Bottom